NHL'94 Forums

Internet problems. Suggestions?

donnybrook

Sooooo the past few months while playing games online, downloading or streaming videos my internet will time out. Sometimes i can play for 5-10 mins than other sometimes as soon as i start playing my internet will restart itself. It has gotten worse and Im not sure the problem, Ive done everything I can think of, my upload and download speed isnt great and also inconsistent. Ive had the comcast cable man come down and he replaced like all the wiring cuz he said it was old and that would help, it made no difference.. 30 dollars wasted. My internet never acted like this before I always used to have really good service then outta nowhere it started doing this a few months ago and it seems like its getting worse. Comcast has been zero help, can anybody give me suggestions? I know the problems kinda vague but I dont know what else to do. Should I try buying a new router? (one i got is kinda old and gets hot sometimes) get new ethernet cables? close ports? threaten comcast?

Comcast is likely changing your IP on the fly all day long. the connection still exists after the drop, right? find a friend that knows this shit and chat her up about routers and service providers. good luck.

Edited by trudatman

phone, too? cancel your Comcast. ditch the land line and get a cell phone and basic home Internet service from a reputable provider.

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/congratulations-comcast-youre-the-worst-company-in-america.html

Hopefully you can escape The Worst Company in America (of 2010).

But anyway. Are you on cable? With cable you'll usually have a cable modem (or sometimes they have modem+router monstrosities). These have 5 lights on them -- power, link, upstream, downstream, and online.

If you unplug the modem, the lights go off (duh). Plug it back in, and power will go on, as well as link (which means it's connected to something over the ethernet cable -- your router). then, it'll get the upstream and downstream lights going (one, then the other, but i forget the order). finally, the online light will be on, and then your internet will be working.

So, when your internet dies out, run over to your modem and check out the lights. if they are all still on, then your router is probably the problem. if some of the lights are not on (or not flashing), then it's probably comcast's issue.

Oh, or another idea here:

when your internet is fine, go to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your web browser. you should get the web interface for your router (it'll probably ask for a password). Figure out which address is correct. ..1.1 is for linksys, most other brands use ..0.1. If, when the internet goes down, you can not get to your router, then your router is the problem.

Wow I know Comcast sucks sometimes but worst company in the country... harsh.

hey, you're cute... want to be friends? I'll let you play with my SNES.

• 1 month later...