NHL'94 Forums

Good game with Dallas last night

The Deer

Pretty solid game against Smack, Dallas's coach, last night.

Back and forth first period saw the Stars take early leads of 1-0 and 2-1, but very quick goals by Mats Sundin and Steve Duchesne (his second of the period) saw the Nords take a 3-2 lead into the first intermission.

Early in the second, Ron Hextall came up with a huge save on a difficult one-timer, and then passed the puck all the way down ice, where Sundin one-timed one in from Sakic to give Quebec a 4-2 lead. That's often how it goes; big save at one end, goal at the other. 4-2 instead of 3-3. Quebec then took a 5-2 lead as Owen Nolan just wouldn't go down in the corner despite an insane amount of Dallas attempts to hit him. He then hit Sakic in the slot for the goal. Dallas wouldn't go away though, as with two seconds left on the clock, Rusty Courtnall fooled everyone with his speed and slid home a beautiful backhander to cut the lead to 5-3 going into the third. This goal looked good on Quebec, as they stopped skating when they saw six seconds left on the clock and Courtnall still not even quite at the red line............ they just assumed they could let time run out. They assumed wrong and ended up with egg on their faces.

Quebec, embarassed, came back with an early third period goal to take a 6-3 lead and seemingly put the game away. But once again, Dallas just wouldn't die, scoring the next two goals to make it 6-5 with 1:22 to go. At this point Quebec called a timeout, and it seemed to pay off as Sakic slid home a great backhand goal soon afterwards to finally put things on ice for real.... 7-5 final.

Nice game and full marks to Dallas for twice getting back into the game when it looked like they may be done. Smack is a good player and a pleasure to play against, he keeps it real. gg!

Sidenote: After our league game, we played two more exhibition games, and in the last one, he dressed Tie Domi at right wing and I dressed THE TWISTER, Tony Twist, at left wing. Oh NHL 94, why did you ban fighting? What a classic bout we would have had right off the draw, and you know the two would have gone again as soon as they got out of the box! :blink:

Guest BSDaemon
Sidenote: After our league game, we played two more exhibition games, and in the last one, he dressed Tie Domi at right wing and I dressed THE TWISTER, Tony Twist, at left wing. Oh NHL 94, why did you ban fighting? What a classic bout we would have had right off the draw, and you know the two would have gone again as soon as they got out of the box! :blink:

Haha tony twist! NICE!

Domi officially retired today, by the way.

Glad to hear. The more washed up old guys who were prominent during the awful "obstruction era" that retire and give way to the younger, "new NHL" era guys, the better.

However I still don't know if anything can bring me back to being the NHL fan I once was. That era from about 98-04 may have turned me off for good. In the meantime I became a junior hockey fan instead and find it much, much more "for me" than the NHL ever was.