NHL'94 Forums

Nords take pair from Pens

The Deer

For about the millionth time in history, Deer and Biff locked horns in NHL 94 last night, this time with my Nordiques taking both games of a home-and-home set against his Penguins to gain a small (very small) measure of revenge for his ousting me out of the third round of the playoffs last season as the Rangers.

The first game, at the Colisee, was a 5-1 Quebec win, and Nordiques coach Pierre Page feels that his team played its best game of the season to date in this game. "Anytime you hold a team with Mario, Jagr, Stevens, etc, coached by the best offensive player in the league in the94kid, to just one goal, you leave the rink knowing that you gave about the best defensive effort possible. I'm extremely pleased with my players, everyone was on the same page tonight."

In the rematch at the Igloo in Pittsburgh, Quebec silenced the crowd early by taking a commanding 6-1 first period lead. Pittsburgh fought valiantly the rest of the match and outscored the Nordiques 4-2 the rest of the way, but the first period was too much to overcome, and the final score ended up 8-5 Quebec. "For sure we had a fantastic first period, but we'll admit there was a bit of luck involved too", said Nordiques winger Owen Nolan, who had a hat trick in that torrid first frame. "Pittsburgh just wasn't getting the bounces tonight, and we recognize that. We definitely expect a war when we play them again next month", the Belfast, Ireland native added.

With the pair of wins, Quebec has now won six in a row, and nine of their last ten since losing three straight to Fenty and Schwartz.

I actually never read your writeups Deer... but I read this one cause it was a battle between 2 of the best

I would read more often if you included some writeups about league happenings etc... maybe if someone won 6+ in a row, or if jota & kid played.. or if someone had back to back shutouts etc...

Of course there isn't much to write about these days anyway with no one playin

Those are some good ideas pokrchamp.

I kind of did that last season during the playoffs (I know you weren't around last season). For the first couple of rounds anyway, I kind of talked about all playoff series, as I was very interested in all of the happenings. Last year I didn't write about my games, not on a regular basis anyway.

But this year I was involved in the very first games of the season, and because of the feeling of "history" what with them having been the first games, both my opponent and I (cajanek) made a post. As I did that, I decided I liked the idea of making this season a little more special than last and documenting all my games in writing to look back on whenever I could, so I decided I'd do it all season. I guess in the process of doing that I forgot to keep on doing what I used to do, write about general league happenings, although as you said it might have had more to do with the fact that for most of this season, games have been being played at a snail's pace. There would have only been five or six teams to really write about so far as up until lately that was the only # of teams that had played a decent # of games.

Why do I write about anything? I just like to write about hockey that's all. I'm extremely active on the Maritime QMJHL messageboards, and am considering going to journalism school to maybe become a hockey writer someday.

If action picks up, sure that's a good idea, I never have trouble finding things to write about. Near the end of the season, hopefully we'll have guys on the same page in terms of # of games played so that I can write about great divisional races down the stretch. Your Norris Division for one looks like it could be a doozy.