NHL'94 Forums

I'm going to pick Chicago next year

puffchuggo

everyone with an equal team just seems mundane. like addisonbr said 400 det vs. det games does not sound like fun at all. You saying that working with the players on that team will fit to our strengths is a kanard. All teams have weaknesses and its very likely those weaknesses will affect some of the players. So one team ,is just not a solution due to that fact alone. I can see the reasoning you have, and while the reasoning may be sound from your view, i just disagree. Life is all about sometimes getting the short end of the straw, and working with what you get is exactly what hockey is. Just because the St. Louis Blues are filled with bums, they arent crying foul and saying everyone must have equal caliber players, they make do with what they have and in some cases like the 2003 minnesotta wild (i believe) made the playoffs with a team full of bums. also teams like the new york rangers who filled their team with stars stunk and missed the playoffs for 7 years i believe. Being successful is all about devising a game plan, playing to your strengths, and taking advantage of opponents weaknesses. It may not always be possible to do those things every game, it is not impossible. Washington is capable of beating Pittsburgh, by no means am i taking a stab at your ability to play the game, but the fact is you played 3 real close games that just didnt come out in your favor, a bounce here or there could have changed the game, not the fact that you have the same team as him would neccessarily change anything.

What you say is true, all teams have weaknesses, and some players may not be "quite" as good with, lets say, detroit, as they would be with edmonton.

BUT, while not perfect, that system is BY FAR more fair, imo, than having a traveling all star team vs. a team with nobody scrubs. Everyone has the same team, BUT you can still alter your lines anyway you wish. And my idea is to switch the set team every year so noone has a "continued advantage".

You dont seem to be a fan of having one set team. Why not then, at the very least, allow players to pick whatever team they want? If there are 3 edmontons, so be it. GIVE EVERYONE A FAIR SHAKE and let them pick the team they feel they are best with. And if they lose, noone to blame but themselves, either for picking the wrong team, or just playing like s**t.

I admit, I was stupid. I picked Washington out of modesty. I wont make that mistake again.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BSDaemon

Yes, the league is fine. I agree 100%. One player getting his ass handed to him and making a big stink about it is certainly not going to change the league into something ridiculous.

its as simple as this, we disagree, obviously nothing we say to each other will persuede the other to change sides. i respect your opinion and i want you to keep voicing it, but on the flip side i will likely be there voicing mine as well. i hope we dont go to the format you suggest and i encourage you to pick the best team you can. i look forward to getting spanked game in and game out.

Yes, the league is fine. I agree 100%. One player getting his ass handed to him and making a big stink about it is certainly not going to change the league into something ridiculous.

Yeah losing every game by 1 goal with a scrub team vs. an all star team "is getting my ass handed to me".

What exactly have you won? Oh yeh, same as me, jack, and s**t.

And letting players pick any team they want is "ridiculous"? Why? Too fair for you? Do you like to cheat?

its as simple as this, we disagree, obviously nothing we say to each other will persuede the other to change sides. i respect your opinion and i want you to keep voicing it, but on the flip side i will likely be there voicing mine as well. i hope we dont go to the format you suggest and i encourage you to pick the best team you can. i look forward to getting spanked game in and game out.

What about letting us pick any team we want? Like 2 detroits? How do you feel about that?

That solves the problem of the league being "too bland", and at the same time, makes it totally fair. I dont see any flaw in it.

Guest BSDaemon
Yeah losing every game by 1 goal with a scrub team vs. an all star team "is getting my ass handed to me".

What exactly have you won? Oh yeh, same as me, jack, and s**t. So shut your mouth.

And letting players pick any team they want is "ridiculous"? Why? Too fair for you? Do you like to cheat?

:lol:

LOL @ scrub vs all-star. Man, quit with the whining about your team. Really.

What have I won? Well, aside from the division, nothing yet. And no, I will not.

And finally... it has nothing to do with fairness. And I don't know how cheating came up here... kind of random. :rolleyes:

Guest BSDaemon
What about letting us pick any team we want? Like 2 detroits? How do you feel about that?

That solves the problem of the league being "too bland", and at the same time, makes it totally fair. I dont see any flaw in it.

The only flaw I see is the pure stupidity.

Guest BSDaemon
I guess that was some attempt at humor? :rolleyes:

I'm in favor of a league with parody. You're not. Lets leave it at that. You must be a Yankees fan.

Because baseball has so much to do with NHL94....

I'm in favour of a league that doesn't suck.

Because baseball has so much to do with NHL94....

I'm in favour of a league that doesn't suck.

Such an intelligent and well thought out reply. :rolleyes:

Guess the Yankees reference went right over your head. Have someone explain it to you.

You are the only one causing trouble in this thread, and everyone in the snes league hates you. I think you have to start looking at yourself at some point buddy.

Guest BSDaemon
Such an intelligent and well thought out reply. :rolleyes:

Guess the Yankees reference went right over your head. Have someone explain it to you.

You are the only one causing trouble in this thread, and everyone in the snes league hates you. I think you have to start looking at yourself at some point buddy.

Who said it went over my head? I just simply stated that baseball has nothing to do with NHL94.

"start looking at yourself"... coming from the guy who blames his losses on his team, and not his skill.

Who said it went over my head? I just simply stated that baseball has nothing to do with NHL94.

"start looking at yourself"... coming from the guy who blames his losses on his team, and not his skill.

Oh cut the crap. kgboy is skilled, but if you think the teams you pick mean nothing, I have a bridge to sell you.

The first 2 letters in your name are what you are full of.

you do bring up an interesting point with having lets say 5-10 set teams and we can pick between those.

call me a purist though, i dont like the idea of a couple people having the same team , i like seeing different teams and seeing how all the people use all these teams. I think we run the same danger of having some degree of blandness in the league due to only a handful of teams being used. this however is a better solution then the first one you had where everyone is the same team.

Guest BSDaemon
Oh cut the crap. kgboy is skilled, but if you think the teams you pick mean nothing, I have a bridge to sell you.

The first 2 letters in your name are what you are full of.

Berkely Software? I'm full of software?!?! :rolleyes:

you do bring up an interesting point with having lets say 5-10 set teams and we can pick between those.

call me a purist though, i dont like the idea of a couple people having the same team , i like seeing different teams and seeing how all the people use all these teams. I think we run the same danger of having some degree of blandness in the league due to only a handful of teams being used. this however is a better solution then the first one you had where everyone is the same team.

lol but if everyone picks the same team, that only proves I was right all along. :lol:

I think people will mix it up. Habs will still pick..the habs. Matt will pick boston. kgboy would pick chicago, and I would pick toronto or calgary. Thered still be a healthy mix. Just a thought.

IMO, seeing how people use different teams works if you have a small league.

But once you get down to the ottawa's, and anaheim's...well, there aint much there to work with. :rolleyes:

there would be some variety, but not enough to satisfy my purist belies. It is an interesting thought and i think it would be interesting to see how people would react to such an idea. If thats the majority wants, then i would either deal with it or let someone else take my spot.

So you like to use toronto eh? how? they are slow and they dont have a true sniper. Im a Gilmour fan and all, but i must say that when i take Toronto up against a good opponent with a good team,i get run over.

i think 20 is about the limit, no one would want to use ottawa

anahiem has some worth terry yake, i use him with hartford, also kasatanov is a fun guy to use on d. but your right, those teams would get killed most likely.

Guest BSDaemon
there would be some variety, but not enough to satisfy my purist belies. It is an interesting thought and i think it would be interesting to see how people would react to such an idea. If thats the majority wants, then i would either deal with it or let someone else take my spot.

So you like to use toronto eh? how? they are slow and they dont have a true sniper. Im a Gilmour fan and all, but i must say that when i take Toronto up against a good opponent with a good team,i get run over.

Thats because Toronto that year was all grit and heart, which doesn't translate well to an early video game with a primitive engine. <_<

Guest BSDaemon
its also because im not as skilled as a lot of the A guys in the league. I think the only reason ive been somewhat successful is because im new and the guys havent figured me out yet and ive been pretty lucky.

Yeah, I hear ya. These A league guys are pretty damn good. But even with a team that isn't all that great in this game like Toronto, there's still a way to win games. You can blame it on your players all you want, but in the end it all comes down to how well you're able to use your team.

your right, and im not saying its unfair. im just saying they dont fit my strengths and i do what i can with them, which so far has been competitive and im happy with that.

I know crossbar wants to win championships and i see his frustration with tryign to win a championship with a team like washington. i dont blame him at all for his frustration, i just dont think he handled it well, but now that he has controlled it he is bringing up some good points that other members here might side with. I want him to keep voicing his opinions in the manner he has been lately because it might help this league become better.

Guest BSDaemon
your right, and im not saying its unfair. im just saying they dont fit my strengths and i do what i can with them, which so far has been competitive and im happy with that.

I know crossbar wants to win championships and i see his frustration with tryign to win a championship with a team like washington. i dont blame him at all for his frustration, i just dont think he handled it well, but now that he has controlled it he is bringing up some good points that other members here might side with. I want him to keep voicing his opinions in the manner he has been lately because it might help this league become better.

He shoulda picked a better team <_<

Hell, I didn't even sign up until a month into it, and I got Chicago...

Youre right I didnt handle it well in at the start. I came across as flaming. I apologize.

But I do stand by my opinion. It's not even so much about winning a championship. Truth be told, I most likely wouldnt win anyway.

I just want to come away knowing that if I lost, it was due to my own play, and not because of my weak team vs. their strong team. Sure, I didnt play as well as I could have, but I cant honestly come out saying "I lost because of me" because its just not entirely true. Fact is, I was shorthanded the whole series and handicapped. Could I have overcome it? Sure. But I just feel I shouldt "have" to "overcome" any odds. It should be fair from the start, and thats what bugs me.

I see your point about not being diverse enough. I respect that point of view.