NHL'94 Forums

North America vs. Finland

Tickenest

It's a lazy Saturday afternoon, and I just got done playing with one of the Fins. I think that with the advent of the new Kaillera client (as discussed most recently here), it's now quite feasible for a substantial number of North American players to play games against the Fins thanks to its p2p functionality. In the interest of cross-ocean relations, here's a brief guide to finding and playing the Fins.

-The best way to find them is IRC. If you're familiar with IRC, they hang out on IRCNet, #nhl94 and #eliteleague are good places to start. Look for guys like swos, tombie, nahkahomo, Mahavishnu, Wayler, vihu, etc. I've played with all of them before and the worst thing they'll say is that they don't feel like playing.

-If you don't know IRC, then either get familiar with it or use IRCNet's web-based chat. XS4All Webchat gives you access. IRCNet is the network, give yourself a nickname, and choose "Other" for chat channel and type #nhl94 or #eliteleague in the box that appears below, and then connect. Once you're connected and in the channel, type "/join #eliteleague" or "/join #nhl94" (without the quotation marks) to join the channel you didn't join at first.

-They're five hours ahead of the east coast (though I think that'll be four hours for a bit starting tomorrow thanks to their Daylight Savings ending), so any time but late night is preferable. On the other hand, some of them are real night owls, so you can always give it a shot.

-They ALL know English.

-They prefer penalties, offsides, and line changes (see the default for the nhl2008.bin ROM), which may not be the preferred playing style for a lot of guys around here, but you can always either give it a shot or try to negotiate with them. I mean, everyone can try to be a little flexible for exhibition matches.

So, you know, give it a shot if you feel like it. By and large, they're Gens players, but if you prefer SNES they might be up for it, or else they might know who would be. Otherwise, meh, not the end of the world.

I would definitely like to test the skills against the Fins. I'm not much of a fan of those rules and I prefer the classic rom to the nhl2008 so I may not have to much room to maneuver in a negotiation. But thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can track some of them down.