NHL'94 Forums

Good hockey books

I played hockey last year for the first time since high school (and first time as not-goalie since grade 6!), and boy did I suck. 24 games. 2 goals. 2 assists. Mind you, I was gypped on some assists (including 2 great breakaway-creating assists), so I actually had about 7 or 8 points... but, still, I was brutal! This is a workplace league (the company i work at is pretty big, so we have a league of ten 12-player teams).

Here are some books I found on Amazon that look decent. I am wondering if any of you have read these and can say whether they're any good or not, or if you have any other books to suggest.

Hockey for Weekend Warriors: A Guide to Everything from Skates to Slap Shots to Separated Shoulders

The Hockey Handbook: The Classic Teaching Guide

Coaching Hockey Successfully

The Hockey Play Book: Teaching Hockey Systems

Simply the Best: Insights and Strategies from Great Hockey Coaches

I have very little knowledge or instinct when it comes to offensive strategy and positioning (which I'm sure is obvious from my nhl94 gameplay!), and I don't have much interest in playing defense (playing D seems best left to the guys in the league who are actually decent players).

So, I'm looking for some hockey books to read to improve my game, mainly on the positioning/strategy side (not interested in conditioning guides)

Thanks!

Hockey is about talent not streategy at least if you're a player like me. I usually set up with 2 other guys and just learn to know you're guys. that way you can create a strategy and more complex plays. Ice learns ya to play hockey, not books.

Hockey is about talent not streategy at least if you're a player like me. I usually set up with 2 other guys and just learn to know you're guys. that way you can create a strategy and more complex plays. Ice learns ya to play hockey, not books.

> Hockey is about talent not streategy

> learn to know you're guys. that way you can create a strategy

:rolleyes:

So just playing a lot is all you need to be good? Coaches are totally useless?

A chess player can gain nothing from reading a chess book, he should just play more games?

These teams don't practice; we just play one 45-minute game every week, and I get about 15 minutes of ice time -- and that's continuous clock time. There's only so much you can learn in 10 minutes a week.

Yeah man with playign comes learning. well you gotta have a little thing called awareness. I normally don't give a /$**/ about what my coach says because sometimes i overplay him. So im not gonna listen to a guy just because he had a 1hour formation and read some s**t on the internet. So you see just by playing you can learn what's the right thing to do and what's the wrong thing to do. Watching the NHL is the best school just by watching you can learn strategies on you're own and have a quicker reaction. You see the best strategy is not written in a book because if it would, well someone would have applied it in the NHL... Like the good old scotty say's You gotta change a winning strategy so it can stay a winning strategy

Yeah man with playign comes learning. well you gotta have a little thing called awareness. I normally don't give a /$**/ about what my coach says because sometimes i overplay him. So im not gonna listen to a guy just because he had a 1hour formation and read some s**t on the internet. So you see just by playing you can learn what's the right thing to do and what's the wrong thing to do. Watching the NHL is the best school just by watching you can learn strategies on you're own and have a quicker reaction. You see the best strategy is not written in a book because if it would, well someone would have applied it in the NHL... Like the good old scotty say's You gotta change a winning strategy so it can stay a winning strategy

Yeah, I learn a bit every game, and I was definitely way better at the end of the season than at the start, but when you get less than 20 minutes of actual ice time per week, there are only so many mistakes you can make to learn from.

Like I said, I just don't have much instinct for picking up strategy on my own, so a book works well for me. Our captain/coach last season gave us a few simple plays/tactics, and they worked great, so I want to find a book that'll teach me a bit more. Plus a book is good entertainment when on the can.

icon_rotfl.gif