NHL'94 Forums

Classic 94 Championship

LoganT

What is it?

Classic 94 Championship is not a "league", and you don't have to be very active to take part in it; think of it as a side distraction to league play. It is a tournament of sorts, similar to boxing, that takes 2 weeks to complete and then restarts. All series follow a "one-game-knockout" format. We will use the classic NHL 94 ROM, and coaches play with any team they want (excluding all-stars). The number of games played in the regular season is exactly 40. Not 40 games per player, but just 40 games in total.

How Does THAT work?

Again, this isn't a "league". There aren't a lot of games to be played and it should be thought of as just a thing to play on the side. This is how it works:

There are 14 days in a season.

schedn.png

-The Check: At the end of every 2nd day of the season (Days 2,4,6,8 and 10) a check is made to see if all players in the Top 4 have played 2 games. If anyone hasn't, that coach is swapped with the last coach to play him

-The standings are updated every night.

-Days 10-12 (Final Four): During this time, coaches in the Top 4 are randomly matched up against each other in a one-game event. The two winners then play eachother, with the winner of that game advancing to the Championship.]

-Days 13-14 (Championship): During this time, the winner of the playoffs plays the Champion in a one-game event. The winner is crowned the Champion.

There are three positions you can be in: The Basement, The Top 4, and The Champion.

The Basement

-This is the starting/lowest position; You start in here when you join, you go here if you lose.

-Every coach in this position has a limit of one game every day, and this game is to played against a coach in the Top 4.

The Top 4

-Coach's in this position do not challenge anyone to games; they just defend challenges from coach's in the basement. Note: Top 4 Coach always gets home-ice advantage

-There is no ranking in the Top 4 (No difference from 1st to 4th), so it doesn't matter who you challenge from here.

-A coach who is challenged in this position and loses swaps positions with the Basement coach who challenged him. Ex) A is in the Top 4, B is in the Basement. B challenges A and wins. B is now in the Top 4, while A is in the basement.

-A coach in this position must play 2 games every Check. If he fails to do so, he swaps positions with the last Basement player to play him.

-The Top 4 advances to the playoffs on the 10th day

The Champion

-The Coach in this position only plays 1 game during Days 13-14. This is the championship game. The winner is the Champion.

-If a Coach successfully defends his belt, he may not use the same team he used until either:

a)He loses and is no longer the champion.

b)He manages to win with every team.

-Champion always gets home ice advantage.

Logging Games

-There will be a topic, and you simply post the score of the game. The only games played are ones against the Top 4, and there will only be 8 games for every 2 days.

-Note that if you play a game and get into the Top 4, you or your opponent can not play again until the Standings are updated.

-The Standings will be updated every night.

Season 1 and Subsequent Seasons

-There will be no starting champion in the first season, instead, whoever wins the playoffs will be crowned the inaugural champion.

-At the start of every Subsequent Season, the starting Top 4 will be the coaches that played the most games during the previous season (excluding Playoffs/Championship).

-For the first season, the starting Top 4 will be hand picked, with availability and previous experience being the main factors.

Recap

Hopefully that isn't too confusing. The purpose of the Classic 94 Championship is to provide coaches with something to do on the side when league play is slow. If you're bored, all you have to do is check the topic to see who's in the top 4, and challenge them. If you're in the Top 4 you're guaranteed 2 games every 2 days, and if you become Champion you only have to play once every two weeks.

Anyone can join, and with idealy there will be a large enough Basement that the Top 4 will always have somebody to challenge them.

This requires very little updating on my part so I will be active in keeping everything up to date.

FAQ

If someone in the Top 4 has played 2 games already, does he still have to answer challenges?

-No, once you get your 2 games done you can wait until the check is done.

Why are coaches in the basement only allowed 1 game a day?

-This is to prevent one guy from playing all the Top 4 so nobody else can. This ensures that at least 4 people get a whack at the Top 4 every 2 days.

ASK ANY QUESTION ABOUT ANYTHING THAT IS CONFUSING YOU SO THAT I CAN CLEAR IT UP.

To sign-up, just post your AIM. Everyone who joins will be accepted and sign-ups will be open 24/7, even after the season has started.

Current List

Edited by LoganT

Mmm Cup Chase III

EDIT: Logan asked me about this when he posted it - I'm not sure what to say but I'm fairly certain this won't off the ground in the format that he has proposed. It's just too complicated, the cycles are too short, and Cup Chase has failed twice before with simpler systems. So I will make a post about options because I truly believe that, aside from me running a league, Cup Chase is the best way to bring in newbs.

1) Classic Cup Chase: I wish I could find the page that had the last standings of this competition, or I had archived it. Tickenest either spearheaded it or gave me the information I needed to try and revive it. It was very basic: Every week there was a "1 vs. 2" match to decide the champion, a "3 vs. 4" match to decide the first challenger, and a series of other matches to decide the next week's "3 vs. 4" participants. This thing lasted like a month before ending. Matches were best-of-3, host picks teams and opponent picks which one they want to be.

2) Cup Chase II: Which was basically in the same vein, but I added a bunch of rules to allow people to play matches that weren't scheduled, and the "3 vs 4" was a pool. This lasted maybe two weeks - you can go to the forum for it.

3) OCRCL Fall 2006: You're not going to find this, but it was the league extension of a recurring chess tournament that I ran for two years before coming to this site. OCRCL tournaments (in the format that I do leagues here) were the most successful, but this thing lasted for a little while. Every week, I assigned each player two opponents - they could also play an added opponent in a "riskmatch" or "bonusmatch" in order to get some more points. This was tedious because I had added rules to prevent rematches in too short of a timeframe, and I had to set the schedule every Sunday night...this would be a requirement in any tournament/league/series of this type anyways, so that's not the biggest deal, and I actually enjoyed doing this (but found almost no way to make games feel relevant).

4) Staggered tournaments: This is the last thing I suggested to Logan before he went to bed tonight...here's how it'd work: We'd play some sort of tournament, whether it is single-elim, psuedo-round-robin, etc...but once the tournament gets to, say, the semis, the next tournament begins. All semifinalists get a bye into the next tournaments quarterfinals, and the champ gets a bye into the next tournament's semis or something. The cycles for this one should probably be like 2 weeks, with a pool/league half lasting 2 weeks and a bracket lasting 2 weeks.

EDIT: I just conjured up something that is very much like CC2 - But requires at least 10 players and would only really thrive with 15 or more active. I think that's the big issue - it's a noble undertaking but it just doesn't feel important enough to play.

For the record, the main thing is I want to get something started that gives something for leaguers something to do outside league play, but something that is pretty light in terms of games. I'll keep talking to Metz and see what happens.

I'm kinda thinking a simple, 16-player best-of-X bracket tournament, done on a monthly basis, would be pretty fun. Everyone gets one week to complete one round, or two weeks to complete two rounds with a stagger-start where the top 4 from the last tournament finish while the other one starts (they wouldn't play in the second of those tournaments, so you'll always have 8 different semifinalists over two tournaments...).

If it looks like we don't have enough people, we could do an 8-player psuedo-McIntyre played out over 5 rounds:

A vs. B: Winner (I), Loser (M)

C vs. D: Winner (J), Loser (N)

E vs. F: Winner (K), Loser (O)

G vs. H: Winner (L), Loser (P)

I vs. J: Winner (Q), Loser (U)

K vs. L: Winner ®, Loser (V)

M vs. N: Winner (S), Loser Eliminated

O vs. P: Winner (T), Loser Eliminated

S vs. V: Winner (W), Loser Eliminated

T vs. U: Winner (X), Loser Eliminated

Start Next Tournament

Q vs. W: Winner (Y), Loser Eliminated

R vs. X: Winner (Z), Loser Eliminated

Y vs. Z: Winner is Champion, Loser is Runner-Up

Which format sounds good to you? I haven't been able to talk to Logan and don't think he's seen what I posted.

either he's talking about CC or Logan's idea. As for logan when I talked to him last he said something about going to class

Okay I just realized that if I applied the bracket schedule I listed above to a 16-player tournament, I'd simply have the World Baseball Classic, sans unnecessary games. Still want to see if Logan's interested in running something like this because I think it would be really fun with a random draw.

So that it's written down somewhere, for reference:

16-team Psuedo-McIntyre Bracket

Opponents in Round 1 are randomly drawn.

I'm pretty sure there are no rematches until Round 6 at the earliest, and the gap between possible rematches is at least 3 rounds. I think...

Quarterfinals - Week 1-2

Round 1 - Preliminary Quarterfinals

1 - ??? vs. ???

2 - ??? vs. ???

3 - ??? vs. ???

4 - ??? vs. ???

5 - ??? vs. ???

6 - ??? vs. ???

7 - ??? vs. ???

8 - ??? vs. ???

Round 2 - Qualifying Quarterfinals

A - Winner 1 vs. Winner 2

B - Winner 3 vs. Winner 4

C - Winner 5 vs. Winner 6

D - Winner 7 vs. Winner 8

E - Loser 1 vs. Loser 2 (loser eliminated)

F - Loser 3 vs. Loser 4 (loser eliminated)

G - Loser 5 vs. Loser 6 (loser eliminated)

H - Loser 7 vs. Loser 8 (loser eliminated)

Round 3 - Elimination Quarterfinals

I - Winner E vs. Loser B (loser eliminated)

J - Winner F vs. Loser A (loser eliminated)

K - Winner G vs. Loser C (loser eliminated)

L - Winner H vs. Loser D (loser eliminated)

Semifinals - week 3-4

Round 4 - Preliminary Semifinals

M - Winner A vs. Winner K

N - Winner B vs. Winner L

O - Winner C vs. Winner I

P - Winner D vs. Winner J

Round 5 - Qualifying Semifinals

Q - Winner M vs. Winner N

R - Winner O vs. Winner P

S - Loser M vs. Loser N (loser eliminated)

T - Loser O vs. Loser P (loser eliminated)

Round 6 - Elimination Semifinals

U - Winner S vs. Loser R (loser eliminated)

V - Winner T vs. Loser Q (loser eliminated)

Finals- week 5-6

Round 7 - Qualifying Finals

W - Winner Q vs. Winner U (loser eliminated)

X - Winner R vs. Winner V (loser eliminated)

Round 8 - Championship Finals

Y - Loser W vs. Loser X (consolation series)

Z - Winner W vs. Winner X (championship series)

What I'd love to see with this format is three concurrent tournaments, staggered two weeks apart. When one tournament is in the quarterfinals, another is in the semifinals and another is in the finals. If you were still in a previous tournament, you couldn't join the next one, so we'd have to have 28 active players to do this and some reserves in case people bail early on...so this is really pie-in-the-sky. We could give out tournament points for progress as well (I'm thinking 4 pts for the winner, 2 pts for 2nd-4th, and 1 pt for 5th-8th), so it'd be like a big tournament season.

Every 4 weeks would have 16 different semifinalists, and every 6 weeks would have 12 different finalists.

...I think it'd be easier/more likely to do it with 12 regular players (or 20 players and straight-up Single-Elimination brackets)...