NHL'94 Forums

Martin Biron played nhl94.

halifax

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2010/09/video-games-not-the-same.html

The NHL’s new video games come out today, with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane of the champion Blackhawks appearing at the NHL store in midtown to promote EA Sports’ entry into the market.

Among the Rangers, there’s more excitement about getting ready for the real season than there is for simulation.

“I used to be, but I don’t have nearly as much time as I used to have to play video games at home,” goalie Martin Biron said. “My son is 6, so he’s just starting to play a little bit of PlayStation, a little Wii, so that gets me back into the game a little bit.”

Biron is actually in the video game now, but he was much more into it before.

“The Sega Genesis, with NHL 94 and 95, it was great,” he said. “Now, they’re so complicated, with all the dekes and moves and stuff. It used to be three buttons - A, B, C. So simple. You could do backhand one-timers and you could score. … If you played, you said, ‘OK, let’s make a deal,’ and you weren’t allowed to do the trick goals. My brother and I made a whole season. You couldn’t play a season (on the system), so my brother and I used the old typewriter and printed a whole season, and I think he had Calgary and I had the Kings, and we played every team twice. It was a lot of fun.”

Todd White goes even further back to find his favorite game.

“The Nintendo one where you could pick a short, fat guy, a medium guy or a skinny guy - Ice Hockey, that’s the one,” White said. “The big guy, whenever you’d hold the button down, the puck would bounce back and forth, end to end to end to end. Ice Hockey was my favorite.”

Brandon Dubinsky doesn’t play hockey video games anymore, preferring the first-person shooter Call of Duty, but he did enjoy hockey video games growing up.

“Of course,” Dubinsky said. “Blades of Steel, the NHL series, all of them. I liked Open Ice 2-on-2 in the Arcade, and then probably NHL ’94 was the best hockey game. Obviously the new ones are great because the graphics are so good - everyone looks like themselves. It’s just not as fun.”

Another fan of Call of Duty is Derek Boogaard. And you might think that Boogaard would like Blades of Steel for the fact that a player who got into a fight would stay out of the penalty box by winning it - but…

“We’d just hang out outside all day,” Boogaard said.