NHL'94 Forums

New Game Bug?!

So I got done playing my friend and we had a penalty filled 1st period, both of us, box filled to the brim with 3 guys aside. Time expired on all penalties and we were back to playing 5 on 5 with a tied score 2-2 going into the second. In the opening seconds of the second period, my friend got a penalty and when the game went to the penalty screen, it showed 3 guys sitting on the bench for both teams! I was like WTF!? I thought all the penalties were over. Then I checked the scoreboard before his penalized player got to the box and sure enough, no penalties or their times were listed! It was blank. Then the player got to the box, hopped over the boards and disappeared amongst his teammates (which always happens when 4 total guys get penalized) and the penalty showed with 2:00 time. The game switched back to the play and I was thinking, o.k. maybe I'm seeing things and I'll see the penalty time in the lower corner read 3:xx or something, but no, it showed 2:00. I paused the f'in game to see the penalty box screen and only his guy was in the box!

Guys, I don't do drugs and I wasn't drinking. Please, tell me somebody else had this happen to them. I've logged hundreds of games myself in my life and still haven't encountered some of those bugs listed on the main page. But when I didn't see this one listed, I wasn't going to post this at first. It's like living in Vancouver and seeing Bigfoot, do you tell anybody and make people think you're crazy? I always said I would, now, I don't think I'd tell anybody. And this is just a game. I mean, I'm in disbelief, I understand what those eye witnesses are thinking when they start second guessing what they saw and did they actually see that or are they going crazy?

Maybe somebody who's good at editing the game can chime in and tell me if this bug is possible? When you guys edit the game and see all those codes, are also able to see the "bug" glitches?

I've never heard of this, but anything's possible in this game!

As for what could cause the bug to happen... I'm not sure why this bug would happen. You'd think the game would just have some variables that store the number of players in the box, and when one leaves, it would subtract so he wouldn't appear on the screen. Why it would get confused and still want to show guys in the box, i'm not sure, but I guess it's possible if it removed the players from the box, but forgot to decrease the counter for some reason.

As for seeing bugs in the code, it's tricky -- you have to know it's a bug to be able to see it. Even when translated from a mass of 1s and 0s into human-readable code instructions, you just end up with a bunch of data moving and math instructions, basically. The weight bug was something like.. load player A's weight from memory location blah1 and add it to variable D0. load player B's weight from memory location blah2 and subtract it from D0. The bug was that it should have been B minus A, not A minus B.

(also, there's a difference between editing the players vs editing the actual game code (i.e. logic). data is easy to edit. code is tough)

(Edit: 3800th post.. sighh)

• 2 months later...

Another Bigfoot sighting and this time I have proof!!! Video too! Now, if I can only figure out how to download from my cell phone..... stay tuned. It's bizarre. Similar to the first one. ... Not listed on Gens Bug screen.

happens quite often, at least in the SNES version. I can't say for sure what causes it, but I have seen it more than a few times.