NHL'94 Forums

I think I performed the biggest choke in 94 history

Guest cr0ssbar94

Guest cr0ssbar94

I was up 3-2 in the 3rd period against Quebec and was poised for yet another 1 goal win.

With 1 minute left, Quebec gets called for not one, but TWO penalties.

So I have a 5 on 3 with under a minute now, up by 1. I win the faceoff. Quebec gets control and flings a hail mary at the net on a partial 2 on 1. Score! With 4 seconds left!

OK, huge blow, but no biggie. I mean I have a 2 man advantage going into OT. Sakic get the draw though and some ungodly force is keeping me from knocking him down. I knew I was in trouble. Sakic winds up, and scores. ANOTHER short handed goal, the game winner.

Is this the biggest choke ever? I dare anyone to top that. To be up 2 men up a goal, and to give up the game at the end...my jaw just hung in disbelief. :D

Not that I'm calling this a "choke", but last year I was involved in a crazier comeback- was down 3-0 to Schwabe with about 50 seconds to go and somehow ended up winning 4-3 in OT.

And of course there was shakazuzu's famous comeback on Schwartz last year, which set off one of the best fits of "bed punching" in league history by The Most Sportsmanlike Coach himself!!! :D

You make a good point PokerChamp.

I saw it first-hand last night when playing a best-of-seven (in person, not online) against the94kid.

Game 5 of our series, game tied 4-4, I get a two-man advantage late in the third period, faceoff in his end, looks like Biff's in real trouble. Nope! He wins the draw, and my forwards curl RIGHT towards the net automatically, leaving a huge-ass lane for him to send a guy in alone (the guy was Peter Taglianetti of all people). Taglianetti gets in close, drops it back to Lemieux, and it was lights out for that game. Had I been at even strength I really doubt my forwards go right to the net like that even tho I don't even have the puck, and that huge lane likely doesn't open up for him. Of course he might have scored the next goal anyway, just maybe not so easily. :D

So I know exactly what you mean.

Is this the biggest choke ever? I dare anyone to top that. To be up 2 men up a goal, and to give up the game at the end...my jaw just hung in disbelief. :D

I was playing 2-on-2 with my college roommates two years ago when we had a mini-reunion. My teammate and I were up two goals with 20 seconds to go and lost by one IN REGULATION. I didn't speak for about an hour. You could have cooked an egg on my forehead.

The four of us played cumulatively at least 6,000 games while in school and for a couple of years after when most of us still lived nearby. We didn't suck. Well, generally speaking we didn't suck. I certainly sucked for about 20 seconds.

Guest cr0ssbar94

HAHAHA thanks for the replies and stories everyone.

Yes, I agree, being on the "power play" in this game is like being short handed, especially for me. I SUCK ASS on specialty teams, its always been a weakness of mine.

Incidently right after this game I blew a 5-2 3rd period lead...against Florida. But after the Quebec debacle it didn't seem too bad. I guess that's the good thing about it. Everything else seems believable now, lol.

Oh well. 14-7. As long as I make the playoffs I'll be happy.