NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 05 - Season 6 draft talk

smozoma

some ideas for season 6...

- protection picks made before the draft. this is possible now because with the data from previous drafts the players can be objectively ranked.

- draft bonus points - you get bonus points to spend on improving your draft position based on finishing all your games and also for doing well in the season. this way, the best coaches actually get an early pick once in a while. These points will be awarded retroactively (but at a reduced rate so everyone doesn't spend them all at once.. they'll be doled out over a few drafts until the full values are given)

- DNP penalties increased if you don't finish the full season two seasons in a row

I like both ideas, although for the protection picks prior to the rounds could bring a complication or two.

I like both ideas, although for the protection picks prior to the rounds could bring a complication or two.

yeah, it'll be tough to get right.

what problems do you see? I don't want to overlook anything.

Well, I know that you want to do this with the intention of making the other coaches keep players that are at best 2nd or 3rd liners on their team. Well, as I see it, it's highly likely that they'll keep their most 3 valuable players depending on how many they get to keep. What I'm getting at is that if someone's had Lemieux, Roy and maybe Bourque for like 3 seasons in a row may be looking at having them for a 4th season. For them, that's a triumph in itself and so they'll only be concerned at getting a decent supporting cast that complements those three guys. Rarely do they keep guys like say, Craig Janney, Ron Francis or Gerald Diduck or Don Beaupre unless they have little choice to do so.

Of course I wouldn't just let guys protect x number of guys. They'd pick their best guys.

This is how I'm thinking of doing it:

Having the draft history for 4 seasons (season 1 doesn't really count..), I can rank the players on the teams objectively.

Then, I'll say

you must protect one player from 11th-12th on the list.

you must protect another player from 9th-12th on the list.

you must protect another player from 7th-12th on the list.

you must protect another player from 5th-12th on the list.

you must protect another player from 3th-12th on the list.

you must protect another player from 1st-12th on the list.

this forces you to spread out your picks.

i just hope that method doesn't have problems

Okay, that may work. Depending on how well they actually did in the draft and in the season, this could create some parity in the league.

Of course I wouldn't just let guys protect x number of guys. They'd pick their best guys.

I was thinking maybe we can start by only protecting 2 guys on our team before the draft and then have to draft the rest of our team. Kind of a rebuilding season. Maybe once every 5 seasons or so.

I was thinking maybe we can start by only protecting 2 guys on our team before the draft and then have to draft the rest of our team. Kind of a rebuilding season. Maybe once every 5 seasons or so.

Protecting two guys is not a good idea. Last season was my first year playing league (blitz), my team was: dino cicci, leetch, joel otto, cujo, theo fleury, and jamie macoun. If I had to do a "protect 2 then pick" I would not play this season, because I mad such crappy picks/protects last season it would screw me over.

Edit: I may have misunderstood you, did you mean protect two guys at once, or protect two total (not at once) throughout the entire draft?

Edited by crackawhat

Protecting two guys is not a good idea. Last season was my first year playing league (blitz), my team was: dino cicci, leetch, joel otto, cujo, theo fleury, and jamie macoun. If I had to do a "protect 2 then pick" I would not play this season, because I mad such crappy picks/protects last season it would screw me over.

Edit: I may have misunderstood you, did you mean protect two guys at once, or protect two total (not at once) throughout the entire draft?

I meant just protect 2 guys before the start of the draft, and then no more protect rounds after that, just picks. I figure it would be a "clean house" sort of thing, where you keep your 2 best players and draft to fill your team out. Not every season, maybe once every 5 seasons, this way it gives you almost a complete new team.

Ironically, I actually did a protect 2 this season. It's been awhile since I've played and I forgot how highly rated cujo was (I didn't think he was an 81 overall)

goalies in Blitz are buffed by about 6 ratings points over their default. Except for Roy and Belfour, they all get a bonus agility point (roy and belfour were the only goalies with 6s in this attribute) and a bonus point on 2 random glove/stick stats.