NHL'94 Forums

Head to Head Formats

Leafsimon

Hey All,

I've been playing best of 7s with my buddy, and I wanted to ask around and see if anyone had some interesting rules/formats. We're playing on the original console.

So far we've both chosen our teams, written them down, and then done the matchups 'blind'. A shootout with both players using the same random team gets home ice advantage.

Any other ideas?

write down every team and throw them in hat...then each guy draw out two teams and play a best of 3...keep playing best of threes until you have only one team left....its a great way to waste an entire day of your life.

then do this with every nhl94 rom ever created....its a great way to waste winter.

To decide which player gets to pick his team first, play a one-game challenge for that right.

To decide which player gets to pick his team first for that challenge, play a best 2-of-3 series.

To decide which player gets to pick his team first for the 3-game set, set up a best-of-5.

To decide which player gets to pick his team first for the best-of-5, get yourself ready for a traditional 7-game series.

To decide which player gets to pick his team first for the 7-game series, play yourself a full simulation of the Stanley Cup playoffs with you, your opponent, and 14 friends willing to do their parts to help with your methodology and ensure that fairness carries the day.

To decide which of the two of you gets to draft his team first - and you knew this was coming - you must each bake a cake in the shape of any of (1) a famous screen cap from the game, (2) a Genesis or Super Nintendo or (3) the NHL94 cartridge itself.

Cakes delivered to New York City. I will judge. My decision is, of course, final.

It may take a while, but you'll have a fair way to ultimately establish the parameters of your console games with your buddy. And I will have a belly full of cake.

My friend and I would do it this way:

To start off, flip a coin, the person who wins the flip picks first.

Then, the game/series winner would get to select their team first next time, but it would have to be a different team than the previous game/series.

Then we used to play either 10 game/series and then play one All-Star game/series. The person who gets to select their All-Star team first would be the one who had the best record of the previous 10 games/series.

Then start all over again.

And no ties. Settle by shootout.