NHL'94 Forums

Nordiques snap slump with win over Blues

The Deer

After a blockbuster start to the season, 5-0 with 41 goals for in the first five games, the Quebec Nordiques were in a slump. They had lost three games in a row and were playing pretty flat. What better way to give your flat team a jolt than to put them in a situation where they GOTTA play well? Play the defending league champion! That's what happened tonight when the Nordiques took on JotaC's St. Louis Blues last night at the Colisee.

From the drop of the puck, the Nordiques felt relaxed, yet focused, but most of all, fresh. Perhaps they had played too many games all lumped together to start off the season and could have slowed down on the msging people asking to play league games. Quebec came out hitting and with all five players playing accountable positional hockey, and it didn't take long for a great tic-tac-toe goal to result in a 1-0 Nords lead. This very tight period continued until Jota's Craig Janney tied the game on a sweet one-timer that beat both goaltender Ron Hextall and the defender who was also kind of in the net trying to help him out. 1-1 after one.

Early in the second, with Quebec feeling very good about the game up until this point, the Nordiques were challenged with a bit of adversity. St. Louis threw a puck the length of the ice and it looked like it would be easily touched up for icing. However, Curtis Lesyschyn (sp?) kept skating circles around the puck and couldn't seem to touch it. It bounced back out towards the top of the circle, where Joe Sakic was given a chance to touch up, but he too kept overskating it and missing it! It's odd how one moment you can be scoring a sick highlight-reel goal and the next you can't even touch the f'ing puck up for icing. Anyhow after those two agonizing attempts to touch it, St. Louis finally took control, and of course they scored. 2-1 Blues, and this was the type of goal against that could really get a team off their game (it's happened to me before, for sure), especially when you're slumping and have had a lot of breaks go against you lately, but the Nordiques vowed to keep their cool.

It paid off, as Steve Duchesne tied the game midway through the period, and late in the period, sub-in Valery Kamensky scored the go-ahead. He was filling in for Owen Nolan, who was injured for the period. I edited him in there as soon as Nolan went down, because if you just let the computer sub someone in for him, they'll sub in Gino Cavallini, and I truly believe that he is one of the worst players on the Nordiques' roster, if not the entire league. Anyway Quebec took a 3-2 lead into the third period.

In the third, Jota was all over me for stretches, and I have to confess that I deserved to have the game tied up on me, he had me beaten many times but just couldn't buy one. A few goal posts, a few beauty one-timers that had me beat but sailed over the net, and a couple of times he had my manual goalie beaten but the computer kicked in the automatic goalie to stretch out and stop what looked to be a goal. After a few minutes of this, Joe Sakic finally scored to give the Nordiques a much-needed two goal cushion. Jota resumed dominating in my zone, at which point I called a timeout. After the timeout, Mats Sundin went up the ice and with a little spin move in front of the net scored to pretty much put the game away at 5-2, and Quebec could finally breathe a bit easier, knowing they were going to finally win another one. A total fluke and meaningless goal with a second left to play made it 6-2, which is kind of too bad because that score doesn't at all do justice to the very very tight game that it was.

The boys poured off the bench and mobbed goaltender Hextall, who was just rock solid in this contest, and everyone breathed a very big sigh of relief that the three-game losing streak that had been bothering them was finally over. Great win boys, and great game Jota- very very tight. As Rudy said in a post last season, this guy might be the best checker in the entire league- you simply cannot expect to give one guy the puck and just skate around him. He seems to knock you down on the first attempt each time.

Good luck the rest of the way man and gg

Meh 15 minutes or so, I can type pretty fast. But you may be on to something- I re-read that and was like "s**t, too much detail"............ I really like geushneidt's recaps on the GENS writeup board, and while I definitely couldn't make recaps as hilarious as his (and wouldn't directly copy his style anyway because I'd be a tool to do so), I might kinda lean a little more towards writing them closer to the way he does.

ya Deer way to detailed too lazy to even read whole post

Are you gonna write a 5 paragraph post on your thumping of me lol!!

Still waiting on SNES pad...... do you guys find the SNES L & R triggs respond

fast or do you have to press 3-4 times like me on the Xbox controller.

Just wondering maybe same problem on SNES pad

Yeah I still wanna do post-game writeups, I enjoy doing them, but I can definitely see how that last one was too detailed.

Our game was actually really tight in the first period and a half- you led 2-1 nearing the halfway point of the second period if I recall correctly, and I was having a hard time hitting your guys, you had me nervous for a while there. I scored a couple quick ones to take the lead, and it was still anyone's game nearing the end of the second period, but that goal with a second left in the second period was the backbreaker, and then I don't know what got into me in the third period, I went insane........ might be the best period I play this entire season, thinkin I shoulda maybe saved it for the playoffs. :D I see though that you bounced back, 4-2 win over a real solid player in McMarkis.

As for that L and R question, I'd expect it'd definitely improve once you get a SNES controller, but even the SNES controller isn't perfect sometimes. I TOTALLY know what you mean when you talk about sometimes having to push L or R 3-4 times to get it to actually activate the defenceman for you, and often by that time the puck is in your net. Ask the94kid about how often I complain about this in our games at his place........... I don't even have to verbally complain, all I have to do is start wildly/angrily hammering away on my L and R buttons after one of htose goals is scored against me and he knows exactly what I'm complaining about. ;)

There are just some games where the computer seems to want to f**k you like that, but I'd definitely expect an improvement when you get the SNES controller. I for one know that my game improved by leaps and bounds when I got hooked up with a real SNES controller as opposed to the purple thing I played most of last season with. Thanks again Rudy!! B)