NHL'94 Forums

Really Bad Lag in League Game

addisonbr

What's the protocol if you're playing a league game and you realize that the lag, at least on your end, is maddeningly awful? Can you stop the game after it's underway and try to find a different server, or schedule a different time? What do you do if there has been any action in the game already - especially if the action is (likely) you getting your tail whupped because you're getting lagged to death?

I was IM'ing with someone about it tonight and he was saying that a few times, after a game had ended and he's won, the other player has then spoken up and said that the lag was really, really bad for them and asked to replay the whole game, which he's agreed to, and then way more often than God should allow, he loses the rematch. It sounds to me like they were sort of taking advantage of a situation - if they win with bad lag they won't say anything, but if they lose they ask to replay it. But then again, I'm not yet completely immersed in the league culture and don't know what sorts of codes of honor are in force around here.

So, I'm puttin' it out there... What's the protocol with really bad lag? What should you be able to expect in terms of a postponement or re-play or other measures? If you're the one having bad lag, what responsibilities do you have in terms of when and how you should speak up?

For the most part majority of the games I play are lag free. But for whatever reason there are a few people out there that I can never get a smooth game with.

Ussually you can tell within the first 15 seconds that the lag is gonna make you lose. If you think it is going to be a problem, say something early and definately say something before you're down a goal. (or worse, 3 goals) If the score is tied, even strength, I'd ask to reschedule or try a different server.

Sometimes just waiting and playing at non-peak hours will make for a way smoother game. If nothing else works, unfortunately you're screwed and just have to deal with it.

Like backhand said, you can usually tell pretty quick if the game is going to have issues. Try to find a different server, but sometimes you have to deal with some lag. It's part of playing online.

-Evan

Like backhand said, you can usually tell pretty quick if the game is going to have issues. Try to find a different server, but sometimes you have to deal with some lag. It's part of playing online.

-Evan

most of you players are from the east and really have no issues with lag but for me for being from west coast i have alot of problems with lag, i have good servers in the west but when i bring you eastern guys in your complaining cause of lag so i have no choice but to play in your ny servers which most times im frackin laggin so alot of games i have to play out even though its choppy which leaves me at a disadvantage and yeah i know you guys say you have lag to but probably nothing like i have to deal with since im way over here on west coast.for example most times i play in the east i have over 100 ping which i dont imagine most other coaches have to deal with. i wish there were some good servers in between but there are not.i have tried snes with the direct connect and it works awsome for me, too bad gens didnt have same way to connect :ninja:

Guest BSDaemon

it's nice that the SNES league doesnt have to deal with lagged servers, however it seems most people in the league (the B league at least) have no clue what TCP and UDP are, let alone how to set up their routers to let UDP through

it's nice that the SNES league doesnt have to deal with lagged servers, however it seems most people in the league (the B league at least) have no clue what TCP and UDP are, let alone how to set up their routers to let UDP through

I'm very interested in why this isn't the case for SNES - you guys have direct connections? (Apologies for myself not RTFM, but I have zoned out on anything having to do with SNES in any of the tutorials on the site.)

Guest BSDaemon
I'm very interested in why this isn't the case for SNES - you guys have direct connections? (Apologies for myself not RTFM, but I have zoned out on anything having to do with SNES in any of the tutorials on the site.)

Yes, you connect directly. And for the players with a clue about BASIC networking (which seems to be very VERY few this season), you can even use UDP, so the game is just that much faster.

I've sort of figured out a couple of guidelines for myself on this issue...

I think if lag is so bad that it's affecting play, I'm willing to give people benefit of the doubt the first time around and restart pretty much any game in the first period, as long as I'm not up by more than a goal. (It shouldn't take a 2-0 deficit or more than 5 minutes of hockey to figure out the connection isn't working.)

After the first period, I'm willing to pick up any game from the point where a stoppage was announced (say, 2:38 left in the 2nd period with the score 2-2). Or, but only if both players agree (and I wouldn't necessarily always agree to this myself), possibly:

- Keeping the same score and period, but just replaying that whole period on. So if it's 3-2 with 1:37 left in the 2nd, and both players agree, starting a game from the beginning of the 2nd period with the score 3-2.

- In a tie game, just replaying the whole thing. But again, only if both players agree, if someone wants to pick it up from the stoppage, that's cool too.

Guest BSDaemon

Part of it also has to do with WHY its lagged.

If I'm being forced to use TCP because the other guy hasn't bothered to set up his router properly, and I'm down a goal in a lagged game, I think its fair to ask to replay the whole period.

It's all situational, and honestly, as long as both players agree on whatever they decide, who cares? It has no effect on the rest of us, so go ahead and settle it however youd like.

It's all situational, and honestly, as long as both players agree on whatever they decide, who cares? It has no effect on the rest of us, so go ahead and settle it however youd like.

Well, people might not always agree. So I think it's sort of helpful to establish ahead of time the types of things that would be fair (or to be more specific, the things that I happen to think would be fair), so I don't wind up debating it in the heat of the moment when the score is going to massively affect people's perceptions of what they think is right.

Well, people might not always agree. So I think it's sort of helpful to establish ahead of time the types of things that would be fair (or to be more specific, the things that I happen to think would be fair), so I don't wind up debating it in the heat of the moment when the score is going to massively affect people's perceptions of what they think is right.

I agree with add as havin some sort of guidelines established beforehand is often a more effective way to deal with stuff when it does come up. SNES lag is a different situation too as Daemon explained that the connections are direct rather than a server. If your chimmy chunga and I'm wanky doo then if one of us has lag problems the other one will experience the same thing. This makes play more equal but lag is still frustrating as ass sometimes.

Again I'm not sure about teh GENS but I can always tell if my face is going to be mauled by lag within the first minute of a game, and I don't see why it would take more than 2 to decide whether it is playable or not. In such a case I would recommend stopping the game and asking for a rematch at a later time. Most guys are good about this sort of thing and I'm hoping there wouldnt be too many problems. If nothing is said within that 2 min maybe it's just best to play through the match as we want to avoid abuse of the system as best we can.

BSDaemon: It is nice when guys know their way around a router and there is a quick tutorial on the website about how to open up specific ports, but many of our guys are just casual computer users and knowing that kind of stuff would be pretty much useless to them outside of the league itself. There's also a few cases of people behind big networks at school, apartments etc.