NHL'94 Forums

How-to: Move & Resize the Net Graphic (NHL '94)

AdamCatalyst

How-to: Move & Resize the Net Graphic (NHL '94)

It appears that each Net graphic is arranged in 6 x 4 tile qudarants. So four 48 px by 32 px chunks make up the top net, and four different 48 px by 32 px chunks make up the bottom net.

We already know how to change the colour palette for each quadrant thanks to this post by @clockwise:

In this post I'll show you how to move around these quadrants. Why might you want to do this? Well, you could…

• Relocate the net graphic.
  • Shrink it by moving more of it to overlap itself.
  • Make the Net(s) match the Rink symmetry. (In case you haven’t noticed, the Nets are an odd number of pixels, in Rink, Crease, etc. made up of an even number of pixels.)

It’s possible that more can be done than this. I was investigating making the Net(s) symmetrical, and once I achieved that, I abandoned this project. I’m posting my notes in case someone else can make use of this, or wants to keep investigating this area of code.

I have included the minor adjustments needed if you want to make the Net symmetry match the Rink symmetry.

Top Net

Top Net: Top Left quadrant

X-position / Y-position
0xA16BB / 0xA16BD

Original
E8 / E9

Symmetrical (1 pixel to the right)
E9 / "

Top Net: Top Right quadrant

X-position / Y-position
0xA16C3 / 0xA16C5

Original
FF / E9

Top Net: Bottom Left quadrant

X-position / Y-position
0xA16CB / 0xA16CD

Original
E6 / F9

E7 / "

Top Net: Bottom Right quadrant

X-position / Y-position
0xA16D3 / 0xA16D5

Original
11 / F9

Bottom Net

Bottom Net: Top Left quadrant

X-position /  Y-position
0xA16DB / 0xA16DD

Original 
E8 / E6

E9 / "

Bottom Net: Top Right quadrant

X-position / Y-position
0xA16E3 / 0xA16E5

Original
FF / E6

Bottom Net: Bottom Left quadrant

X-position /  Y-position
0xA16EB / 0xA16ED

Original
F8 / E4

F9 / "

Bottom Net: Bottom Right quadrant

Sorry, I never got this far. If anyone else figures this out, let me know and I will update it here.

Edited by AdamCatalyst
standardizing naming and formatting

It's unfortunate that the stuff I found offers such limited customization. I had grand ideas of mixing colour palettes, and other things, but haven't been able to get any of my ideas to work or look good within these restrictions. I suspect there is more to discover here, I gave up early on this one, it was not an exhaustive search. 

Interesting coincidence that the radio today had a show that concentrated on the history of the story of, and the modern take on the term "Holy Grail".

While the commercial aspect of using the term has gotten too aggrandizing, despite the level of historical connection to how "acquire this thing and your life will be better." is what the legend has been for centuries, I find that the "questing" part, for something that is so challenging that it can be either a white whale or grail, does still resonate, perhaps to a notably modest level, with the quest for the hole ice puck.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Wait, what are you trying to do with the puck?

Oh, there was an urban legend that the puck's palette could be changed to match the team colours, and thus change with the home team.
But the concrete evidence and methodology have been either lost to time with Damascus steel or that lighthouse near Alexandria. At our current stage, it also can't be ruled out that the proof of concept was never actualized.

14 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

Oh, there was an urban legend that the puck's palette could be changed to match the team colours, and thus change with the home team.
But the concrete evidence and methodology have been either lost to time with Damascus steel or that lighthouse near Alexandria. At our current stage, it also can't be ruled out that the proof of concept was never actualized.

• AdamCatalyst changed the title to How-to: Move & Resize the Net Graphic (NHL '94)