NHL'94 Forums

Z-Net

Sferics

Z-Net is an mIRC script that connects netplay-enabled emulators, to help you find and set up online games with other people. Currently, only the Super Nintendo emulator ZSNES is supported, but with Z-Net's addon system, support for other emulators can be easily added later. Z-Net directly connects emulators, as where Kaillera must send game data to the server and then back to the player, creating lag. Thus, you can play online virtually lag free with just a DSL connection with Z-Net.

Z-Net is still in the beta phase, so you may encounter some bugs here and there, and there may not always be someone active in the room, but the script is fully functional and still very intuitive.Should you experience any problems, there is an install guide on the main page, and the room has friendly users that would be more than willing to help you with your problems. So be sure to drop by and check us out!

Links

Z-Net Home Page

Z-Net Forums

Z-Net Install Guide

ZSNES Home Page

mIRC Home page

Screenshot

ssib3.png

The fact that Z-Net uses mIRC is a good thing. Customizable chat with PMs and the stability of IRC. If Gamesurge ever goes down (which is VERY unlikely), Z-Net can just pick up the script, and move to another server. What can zbattle users do when the zbattle server goes down? Get on AIM?

The fact that Z-Net uses mIRC is a good thing. Customizable chat with PMs and the stability of IRC. If Gamesurge ever goes down (which is VERY unlikely), Z-Net can just pick up the script, and move to another server. What can zbattle users do when the zbattle server goes down? Get on AIM?

mIRC is crap, first of all. It's a terrible IRC client.

As I said, theres already a tried and true method to connect that works very very well, theres no need for some crappy software written for a buggy IRC client.

mIRC is crap, first of all. It's a terrible IRC client.

As I said, theres already a tried and true method to connect that works very very well, theres no need for some crappy software written for a buggy IRC client.

Hey, I've been using mIRC for years, but then, I also lick toads whenever possible.

You continue to bash mIRC, but give no reasons to why it is "crap". mIRC offers everything the casual IRC user could want. And if it doesn't, then I'm sure that user could make or download a script that does whatever he needs for him.

Back to Z-Net, yes it works. Quite well, actually. I thought the idea of a chatroom with the ability to play SNES online would appeal to you guys.

You continue to bash mIRC, but give no reasons to why it is "crap". mIRC offers everything the casual IRC user could want. And if it doesn't, then I'm sure that user could make or download a script that does whatever he needs for him.

Back to Z-Net, yes it works. Quite well, actually. I thought the idea of a chatroom with the ability to play SNES online would appeal to you guys.

Whatever, no problem, you're not a technical person, I get it.

How am I not a technical person? You're are the one bashing a program without backing it up at ALL. Until you give a legitimate reason as to why mIRC is "crap", then you are just a troll bashing mIRC.

Dude, it's mIRC, how is it NOT crap?

Dude, it's mIRC, how is it NOT crap?

Still no reason as to why it is crap? It sounds to me like you are just a person who'd call mIRC crap and use another client because it's "different". Whatever, I have realized that you will continue to bash mIRC because you have some subconscious hate for it, rather than any real reason at all.

Regardless, I'd like to keep this topic about Z-Net.

Still no reason as to why it is crap? It sounds to me like you are just a person who'd call mIRC crap and use another client because it's "different". Whatever, I have realized that you will continue to bash mIRC because you have some subconscious hate for it, rather than any real reason at all.

ROFL. :)

What is your agenda? The fp was your first post ever on the board. What do you gain from promotion of your software?

I am just a mod on Z-Net, I don't actually work on the script. And my agenda? I'm just trying to unite online SNES players :)

While we appreciate the attempt, combining a poor IRC client with something we already have isn't exactly going to fly around here

While we appreciate the attempt, combining a poor IRC client with something we already have isn't exactly going to fly around here

I think it was obvious from the get-go that you didn't like Z-Net, so can you take your insults elsewhere? All I really want to do is tell people about Z-Net.

I did say that I would check it out.....but it just looks likes a lot of reading and figuring things out that I don't want to deal with.

As an admin of the SNES side of things this is where I'm at.

1. We use zbattle for those that can figure out how to port forward(if they have a router). Zbattle loads the game very quickly and imo is the number one method for playing online.

2. We use direct connect through zsnes.....either TCP or UDP.

3. We use hamachi...which is the same process as direct connect but not having to worry about port forwarding/firewalls etc.(or so I understand it)

These are several methods I've used which work.

Now that you understand what SNES players do to play online what I would like to see is your arguement (in laymans terms...im not that technical) on why it would be important for us to make the switch to znet.

Because that is a lot of guys I'd have to convince to make a switch when really we already have plenty of methods to connect already.

In other words...znet would have to be a heck of lot easier to use to make it worth my while to consider it.

And you don't even sound as though you appreciate the attempt.

Oh no I definitely welcome attempts at making it easier to play online, but this particular attempt was a failure.

I think it was obvious from the get-go that you didn't like Z-Net, so can you take your insults elsewhere? All I really want to do is tell people about Z-Net.

No, I don't like mIRC and the thought of having to have an inferior IRC client installed just to do something that a tiny little application like zbattle can already do seems kind of backwards in logic to me. There were no insults to take elsewhere, I said the software is a poor design. Perhaps something like zbattle with an embedded IRC client written with open source tools would be worthwhile, but this software definitely is not. People who develop software can't expect all comments to be positive, and they shouldn't take offence to that fact.

Now that you understand what SNES players do to play online what I would like to see is your arguement (in laymans terms...im not that technical) on why it would be important for us to make the switch to znet.

Because that is a lot of guys I'd have to convince to make a switch when really we already have plenty of methods to connect already.

In other words...znet would have to be a heck of lot easier to use to make it worth my while to consider it.

Well said.

I have used zbattle, and so have most of the people in the Z-Net, and we still choose to use Z-Net. As for reasons to switch, well firstly, Z-Net has a customizable chatroom with PMs, which, in my opinion, would work great with online leagues and clans. We also have a send feature that actually works, multiple protocol support (with TCP, the client does NOT need to have their ports forwarded), zip file support, and other addons are being developed for other emulators as we speak. As for easiness to use, I'd say Zbattle and Z-Net are equally easy to use, it's just different.

No, I don't like mIRC and the thought of having to have an inferior IRC client installed just to do something that a tiny little application like zbattle can already do seems kind of backwards in logic to me. There were no insults to take elsewhere, I said the software is a poor design. Perhaps something like zbattle with an embedded IRC client written with open source tools would be worthwhile, but this software definitely is not. People who develop software can't expect all comments to be positive, and they shouldn't take offence to that fact.

How would zbattle with an IRC client embedded be any better? mIRC has 13 years of development that you can stand by. And you STILL have not given a SINGLE, I mean SINGLE, reason as to why mIRC is such an awful client. Yes, developers (I'd like to again clarify that I am just a mod, not the developer) can't expect all comments to be positive, but your comments have been more hateful than anything, and are just blatant bashing.

I have used zbattle, and so have most of the people in the Z-Net, and we still choose to use Z-Net. As for reasons to switch, well firstly, Z-Net has a customizable chatroom with PMs, which, in my opinion, would work great with online leagues and clans. We also have a send feature that actually works, multiple protocol support (with TCP, the client does NOT need to have their ports forwarded), zip file support, and other addons are being developed for other emulators as we speak. As for easiness to use, I'd say Zbattle and Z-Net are equally easy to use, it's just different.

How would zbattle with an IRC client embedded be any better? mIRC has 13 years of development that you can stand by. And you STILL have not given a SINGLE, I mean SINGLE, reason as to why mIRC is such an awful client. Yes, developers (I'd like to again clarify that I am just a mod, not the developer) can't expect all comments to be positive, but your comments have been more hateful than anything, and are just blatant bashing.

It would be better because then it would not be using mIRC as a base. If you take my comments as hateful and bashing, then you have issues you need to deal with. Get over it.

I also need to ask, how are you working the license? mIRC isn't free, so how are you able to distribute it freely?

Sferics, your problem is that no one around here uses IRC. Well, almost. I'm on GameSurge but that's mainly for historical reasons (i.e. it's where all the QWTF clans landed after the GamesNET debacle.) Other guys...not so much. The current SNES paradigm (AIM + zbattle + direct connect for guys who can't get zbattle to work, like me) is pretty set because it works well enough for our purposes, and while it does seem that Z-Net would be a marginal improvement, it doesn't looks like it's enough of a leap to get people excited, and the requirement of IRC as well is just an extra hurdle for users.

See, I don't see IRC as a burden, but more of a improvement. IRC is infinitely better than what zbattle calls a "chat interface". Also, lets not forget the fact that zbattle development is pretty much dead. Z-Net is still being developed, so new features are being added all the time. And Z-Net does change the layout of mIRC, so it does keep it simple for new users (Screenshot), but ultimately, if you absolutely dislike IRC, Z-Net isn't going to change that. Though, I'd atleast say give it a shot before simply dismissing it.

As for the license, mIRC says there is a 30 day trial, but it will continue to let you use it after 30 days. I don't get it either.

See, I don't see IRC as a burden, but more of a improvement. IRC is infinitely better than what zbattle calls a "chat interface". Also, lets not forget the fact that zbattle development is pretty much dead. Z-Net is still being developed, so new features are being added all the time. And Z-Net does change the layout of mIRC, so it does keep it simple for new users (Screenshot), but ultimately, if you absolutely dislike IRC, Z-Net isn't going to change that. Though, I'd atleast say give it a shot before simply dismissing it.

As for the license, mIRC says there is a 30 day trial, but it will continue to let you use it after 30 days. I don't get it either.

I love IRC, and I'm on it pretty much all the time. The thought of having to install a second IRC client just to play NHL94 seems silly to me. I definitely agree with Tickenest that installing an IRC client just to do something we can already do with ease is quite an unnecessary burden.

There is no reason to give it a shot before dismissing it. I know mIRC very well, I used it for a long time back in the windows3.1 and windows95 days. It's too buggy and full of security holes for me to have any interest in using it again.

As tickenest said, even if it had some marginal improvements over the way things are done now, it's not enough to warrant switching. And as I said before, if you could come up with a small zbattle-like program with some chatroom capability, buddylist, etc... it would probably be well received. But simply an addon to a poor IRC client isn't going to cut it.

I love IRC, and I'm on it pretty much all the time. The thought of having to install a second IRC client just to play NHL94 seems silly to me. I definitely agree with Tickenest that installing an IRC client just to do something we can already do with ease is quite an unnecessary burden.

There is no reason to give it a shot before dismissing it. I know mIRC very well, I used it for a long time back in the windows3.1 and windows95 days. It's too buggy and full of security holes for me to have any interest in using it again.

As tickenest said, even if it had some marginal improvements over the way things are done now, it's not enough to warrant switching. And as I said before, if you could come up with a small zbattle-like program with some chatroom capability, buddylist, etc... it would probably be well received. But simply an addon to a poor IRC client isn't going to cut it.

You haven't tried it since Windows 95? Has it not crossed your mind that perhaps a program could have change in over 10 YEARS? I think it's obvious you have not used mIRC in the last decade, because you STILL have no given a reason to why mIRC sucks. I have called you out on this claim multiple times, but you just defer it by saying "mIRC is crap". Let's see, you use the extremely vague and generic "buggy and full of security holes". Prove it to me asshat, anyone can say that about any program, but it means nothing if you don't back it up. mIRC is one of the best Windows IRC clients and you can't seem to accept that.

How can you say the software is poor design? You admit yourself that you haven't tried Z-Net, or mIRC since Windows 95. This is the kind of blatant bashing I'm speaking of.

And you're still loading two programs either way: zbattle and your IRC client, or Z-Net and your IRC client. At least Z-Net gives you the option to join other servers or channels if you decide to.

The only reason I waste my time on you is so that others here don't get the wrong idea about Z-Net without even using it, as seems to be the case with you.

For SNES I don't think we have a problem...I've just had issues with Gens for some reason.

Zbattle rarely works for me, and it's not even that good - it doesn't plow past the underlying issue for a lot of people, and that's firewalls and routers.

Direct Connecting tends to be more accurate in regards to what you want done, but often times only a TCP connection is available.

Hamachi has NEVER failed for me (and I've used it probably 150 times), and with just the basic knowledge of a direct connection, it's very user friendly...it takes about 5 minutes to understand, where port forwarding and this Z-net thing don't seem to do that.

On another note, markyman had me download "fusion," a derivitave of Kega for the Genesis - VERY VERY SIMPLE DIRECT CONNECT. I'm wondering if this works with hamachi because if it does, you'll see me endorse it hands down.

Sorry to be hamachifying everything, but when I found that damn thing I latched on - it made gaming 1,000 times easier.

You haven't tried it since Windows 95? Has it not crossed your mind that perhaps a program could have change in over 10 YEARS? I think it's obvious you have not used mIRC in the last decade, because you STILL have no given a reason to why mIRC sucks. I have called you out on this claim multiple times, but you just defer it by saying "mIRC is crap". Let's see, you use the extremely vague and generic "buggy and full of security holes". Prove it to me asshat, anyone can say that about any program, but it means nothing if you don't back it up. mIRC is one of the best Windows IRC clients and you can't seem to accept that.

How can you say the software is poor design? You admit yourself that you haven't tried Z-Net, or mIRC since Windows 95. This is the kind of blatant bashing I'm speaking of.

And you're still loading two programs either way: zbattle and your IRC client, or Z-Net and your IRC client. At least Z-Net gives you the option to join other servers or channels if you decide to.

The only reason I waste my time on you is so that others here don't get the wrong idea about Z-Net without even using it, as seems to be the case with you.

Oh, heres why mIRC sucks:

mIRC IRC URL Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

MIRC Nick Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

mIRC Unspecified DCC Request Vulnerability

mIRC IRC URI Handler Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

mIRC Font Buffer Overflow

mIRC DCC SEND Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

mIRC Scripting ASCTime Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

mIRC DCC Get Dialog Denial Of Service Vulnerability

mIRC DCC Nick Disclosure Vulnerability

mIRC USERHOST Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

mIRC Trojan Variant - port 445 worm/Trojan

Need I go on with the security issues mIRC has had over the years? No wonder I stopped using it.

mIRC has no native IPv6 support.

The mIRC license is crap.

Z-Net STILL REQUIRES PORTS TO BE FOWARDED

I should make this perfectly clear. Z-Net still has the same "issues" (if you could call not having your network configured right an issue with the software) that zbattle has.

I personally love IRC, I think Jarkko Oikarinen really had a great vision when he created it. Considering it's older then the WWW, it's been around for a long time. However, installing a 2nd rate IRC client just to do something I can already do with software that is a whopping 332KB download... is just not logical. As I said, if Z-Net was a standalone program similar to zbattle that included a chat and maybe even a buddy list of some sort, -that- might be worth switching to. Z-Net in its current state is not.

Seriously, it's okay. I understand that you're not technically inclined so something like mIRC appeals to you, I understand. Plenty of people use mIRC and are happy with it.

Zbattle rarely works for me, and it's not even that good - it doesn't plow past the underlying issue for a lot of people, and that's firewalls and routers.

Direct Connecting tends to be more accurate in regards to what you want done, but often times only a TCP connection is available.

All you need is a basic understanding of TCP and UDP, really. It's all pretty simple, really. I don't know why people buy routers and then don't bother learning how to configure them. :D

Edit: Though, reading the Z-Net FAQ gave me a bit of a giggle when they said something silly like:

Q: TCP/IP? UDP? What's the difference?

A: TCP/IP is more stable and reliable, yet is much slower for gaming and can offer some bad lag. UDP is less stable, but much faster than TCP/IP. UDP is definitely a lot smoother and offers better gameplay, but sometimes the only method that one person can use is TCP/IP, which in that case you'll both have to use TCP/IP.

I guess it wasn't written by somebody familiar with networking... :lol: