NHL'94 Forums

Maple Leafs hire goalie coach François Allaire

smozoma

This is the guy who is credited with developing Patrick Roy and J.S. Giguere (what about Hiller?).

We'll see what he can do with Toskola, Gerber, Pogge, and whoever else they have in their system...

hopefully the leafs can get that one goalie from europe

hes supposed to be the best goalie not in the NHL!!!

and ya they do need better d

schenn is just not enough they need to sign jay bomeester in the free agents

Anton Gustavsson i think

yes i belive that was his name

i was just watching tsn draft preview and they were talking about him and apparently he wants a 1 year deal

the four teams in the running for him are the leafs avalanche sharks and some other team i cant remember

• 2 weeks later...
This is the guy who is credited with developing Patrick Roy and J.S. Giguere (what about Hiller?).

We'll see what he can do with Toskola, Gerber, Pogge, and whoever else they have in their system...

I would imagine this was done to possibly groom Pogge (or any other young goaltender). Toskala himself is quite a good goalie - albeit an inconsistent one. I wonder if Toskala is trade bait to be dealt to a team such as Colorado, especially if Kolzig (who was acquired by Toronto at the deadline) doesn't retire and sticks with Toronto.

As far as goalie coaches go... if you can't get Korn or Tretiak, then Allaire is the next-best thing. This was an excellent move for the Leafs.

Hiring Allaire may have been part of the Leafs' plan to entice swedish goalie Jonas Gustavsson to join the team. They have worked together previously.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009...ch.html?ref=rss

Even if that wasn't part of the plan, the Leafs really seem to be hiring some big guns these days. Burke, Wilson, Allaire... sounds like they are getting serious.