NHL'94 Forums

Stephen Strasburgh Sweepstakes

The Russian Rocket

What do you think about the situation?

If you're not familiar with Baseball, il resume the situation.

In Baseball there is no entry level contract models, the players already possess the powers of an UFA, and can refuse to sign, to be re-drafted the next year, without the major drops of ranks, like in Hockey.

Strasburgh, is designated by the scouts, as a one in a generation talent.

His Fastball average speed is about 100 MPH and hes not yet fully developed physically.

He once reached 103 MPH, as 20 years of age, a feat only accomplished by major league relievers. (He is a Starting Pitcher)

He just refused a record contract for a rookie, beating the 10,5 M$/ year contract offered to Mark Prior in 2001.

Now the Nationals seem to be okay with giving out a big contract, but not one, that would be allowed, to an elite and already established pitcher, like Roy Halladay.

Should the Nationals take the chance? If they don't take him, they will get the 2nd overall pick next year, with theyr original first pick. But, he could turn out, to really be that Ken Griffey, or that Wayne Gretzky. And the Nationals need some punch to bring in the fans back, with theyr miserable (But recently improving) Record.

Personally, i would have signed Strasburgh earlier then trade him for Jake Peavy and something like Kouzmanoff (Well, i pretty much assume the Padres would be more interested into that guy than the bunch of jeeyaboos the White Sox sent in).

I know this may seem stupid to sign him, but in baseball that's the way, you can't trade what you didn't signed.

A thing to note is, that in Baseball, the draft seems to be the most erratic of all major sports, 1st Overall picks, regularly becoming major failures (A la Daigle).

What would you do, is the question!

I hope he goes back in the draft and the Pirates get him, haha. You can't trade a draft pick for an entire year after they're drafted.

Well it's more than that, it just doesn't belongs to you.

Haha, you think they got the Money? And even if, Baseball 1st overall picks are made 75% of blows.

They have the money and alwayts have, just refuse to spend it. They're finally at least pretending to try and spend money on draft picks now.

Does Bryan Bullington Ring a Bell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Bullington

Haha don't remind me

The difference though is Bullington wasn't the best player in the draft, Strasburg apparently is. The nats need him to win but don't need him for attendance, it won't go up 'til they put a winner on the field.

The difference though is Bullington wasn't the best player in the draft, Strasburg apparently is. The nats need him to win but don't need him for attendance, it won't go up 'til they put a winner on the field.

Well, that guy seems like a 20-4 guy to me. It makes Heck of a difference, i mean theyr offence is pretty good to great.

Dunn

Zimmerman

Willingham

Good 1-2-3 Punch

They just have no f**king pitchers!

But i have to wonder, how come, there is so damn much MLB 1st round failures?!?!? I Mean it's unbarable! More than 50% Just blow ass! The NHL, seems to have way more accurate draft.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

its because theres just soo many baseball players out there, the draft has always been about getting lucky cause you never know whos going to be great.

even the nhl you nver really know and rarily are the players drafted nhl ready. While in the nba its almost a science where the best players are always drafted early 1st round and 2nd rounders rarely even make it to the nba. I guess its cause the small rosters.

alright i've got a few points here

1. Rudy Gay is pretty good he just plays for memphis

2. When you throw 100 mph as a starter when your 20 years old... your almost automaticly the first overall pick, it was a no brainer for the nats to sign him it was just that strasburgh wasn't to keen on signing with them

3. FBP, the only good batter for the nats is zimmerman... Dunn hits a homer or strikes every at bat which is terrible and I don't even know who the other guy is

o ya bullington is in the jays organisation right now:)

Josh Willingham pretty much hit 10 Home runs in the last 20 games, including 2 grand slams, IN THE SAME GAME!

And apart from that, Strasburg, not only does a 102 fastball, but a high 80's Power Curve. And he Struckeout twice as much batter, than by hit and field.