NHL'94 Forums

Farewell for SNES

RedWingDevil

You know, I don't know why I even bother showing up for the SNES seasons. Nothing I do ever goes right, too many mistakes and variables I can't possibly keep up with and on top of that, the connection can get pretty inconsistent at times. Frame rate goes to hell, skiping various stuff and plays that should wind up dead keep going and body checks get negated. That's just a bit too much for me to handle.

So, after this Spring league gets into the books, I'm gonna say goodbye to the SNES leagues. Even Halifax's WHA league, which was nice, but too much frustation in SNES Classic is too hard to take. I don't even know how some guys manage to play well on it; I thought I could have what it takes for this, but I was wrong. SNES is simply not for me, it never was and it affects my overall record in negative ways.

I wish I should have done that decision sooner, but I guess I must be a closet masochist. Look for a new whipping boy next season!

You know, I don't know why I even bother showing up for the SNES seasons. Nothing I do ever goes right, too many mistakes and variables I can't possibly keep up with and on top of that, the connection can get pretty inconsistent at times. Frame rate goes to hell, skiping various stuff and plays that should wind up dead keep going and body checks get negated. That's just a bit too much for me to handle.

So, after this Spring league gets into the books, I'm gonna say goodbye to the SNES leagues. Even Halifax's WHA league, which was nice, but too much frustation in SNES Classic is too hard to take. I don't even know how some guys manage to play well on it; I thought I could have what it takes for this, but I was wrong. SNES is simply not for me, it never was and it affects my overall record in negative ways.

I wish I should have done that decision sooner, but I guess I must be a closet masochist. Look for a new whipping boy next season!

hey man join snes B ,ive found the guys pretty available.

I don't think the change may be done at this point of the season unless Chaos and Evan say something about that.

Regardless, I don't know if that will make a difference for me. These kinds of heartbreaks are hard to recover from, and if you have too many it's time to let go.

You are 3-8 and 4 out of 5 teams make the playoffs. Give yourself a chance, try to get better, and make a run in the playoffs. You were a 7 seed in blitz and made the finals, why cant you do the same in classic?

Well, for one thing, I get a lot more comfortable in the Gens league and Blitz because I don't have to worry too much about trying to change my style of play a lot. Another thing is that it looks as though it's easy to knock down really heavy guys like Lindros and it's done by some real lightweights. I understand if some of those guys have high checking stats like Gilmour, but it's someone like Sakic or Gretzky, it's time to sound the alarm. 3rd thing is that the goalies' hitbox is more suspect than in the Gens version. It may be just me, but they can't seem to get a break, even from easy floaters, short range when trying to catch the puck and all that jazz. It still boggles my mind when they let catchables pucks drop into the net even now.

Last thing, with guys like Principalities, Shaftman, MasterOf94 and a few others running the show, my chances for playoffs are almost slim to none. I'd have better luck trying to catch thunderbolts while dodging the rain pouring down on me. Even when I used good teams like Los Angeles and Montreal, nothing goes right for me. When you go through various periods of frustration as I have, the fun just gets put for sale with each passing day.

At least in Blitz or GDL I do have a good shot at the playoffs. SNES Classic? Nope, none at all. Don't know how you guys manage it, but I sure can't. Give me a very, VERY good reason why I should try to stay in SNES while having to endure lots of heartbreaks. Is there something really worthwhile at all?

Edited by RedWingDevil

Give me a very, VERY good reason why I should try to stay in SNES while having to endure lots of heartbreaks. Is there something really worthwhile at all?

WTF? It's just a game. I don't understand the point of this thread. If you don't like losing, and you find yourself losing in SNES more often, then just don't sign up next time. Is it really necessary to be so melodramatic?

Last thing, with guys like Principalities, Shaftman, MasterOf94 and a few others running the show, my chances for playoffs are almost slim to none. I'd have better luck trying to catch thunderbolts while dodging the rain pouring down on me. Even when I used good teams like Los Angeles and Montreal, nothing goes right for me. When you go through various periods of frustration as I have, the fun just gets put for sale with each passing day.

At least in Blitz or GDL I do have a good shot at the playoffs. SNES Classic? Nope, none at all. Don't know how you guys manage it, but I sure can't. Give me a very, VERY good reason why I should try to stay in SNES while having to endure lots of heartbreaks. Is there something really worthwhile at all?

Well this attitude is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, on the one hand there is the 'quitter's never win' cliche, and on the other hand, letting the small things frustrate you and taking setbacks so hard will naturally make you loathe the game and play poorly.

Playing is fun for me even if I get beat. If there wasn't a chance I was going to lose, winning wouldn't be fun. I knew from the outset the competition in this league was going to be stiff, what matters is you don't get better at the game unless you play against the best or just better than you. The whole point isn't to preserve your style but to continually evolve it to match the demands of the game. If you're worried about keeping your style, get into painting.

I guarantee you, at the very least, regardless of the results, if you play the rest of season and the playoffs with sincerity you will be a better player than you are now. You might also have some fun along the way. Maybe this isn't enough for you, maybe it is. Whatever.

It has been a tough time. I'm still feeling as though I'm spinning in my wheels and it looks as though I haven't found a team I can be most comfortable in SNES. There's a whole world of diffence and maybe I haven't gotten to all the details on it. It takes a lot of work.

Well, I will give it another shot. At the very least I owe you guys that much. Whatever happens afterwards is up to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update so I can clear some stuff up.

Well, it's a tough climb on my division which I call The Group of Death, as there are only strong players in there. It's tough, but only the two head honchos are gonna be in for the playoffs. I think I'm getting better with the Flyers, so I'll keep working on that. It's s love-hate affair with the SNES, but I admit it has some redeeming qualties, so not everything is gloom and doom. I want to be able to go out, try to have some fun and make it to the playoffs; my view on things may be changing a bit, so things may get better yet.

You can call me crazy, I'm not too concerned about that right now. I'll just get in there with a chip on my shoulder and do my best. I'll be a tough Inglorious Basterd out there, so I'm gonna be on my toes. :)