NHL'94 Forums

Draft Idea For Next Season

Here's whats happening right now;

1. Everyone gets 24 hours to choose, which makes sense because skipping over someone in the first or second round can have drastic consequences on a teams performance during the season.

2. Because of this, the draft gets hung up on players who have a life and things to take care of.

3. This ruins the draft for us who want to move it along quicker.

Here's a proposed suggestion:

A new forum is created under the Blitz General area. The purpose of this forum is every player in the Blitz league (for that current season) makes a thread with four picks they are interested in for the current or next round (they must specify). While the draft is going, if it has been more than 2 hours since the last pick, smoz or other approved parties can choose from the players list who the draft is stuck on. Picks must be in chronological order. Here is a sample of what the thread would look like for the first round.

Crackawhat's thread;

First round draft choices.

I'm 1.18 for my first round pick, and I am looking at the following players in this order:

1. Steve Yzerman

2. Al Iafrate

3. Patrick Roy

4. Ed Belfour

I approve smoz, hokkee, chris1, or houli to make my pick.

Now I have not seen the draft since 1.1, so hypothetically yzerman and iafrate were drafted in 1.3 and 1.10. This means someone will draft Patrick Roy for me after my two hour grace period has expired

If all your picks are gone by the time your pick spot comes, you don't get skipped; you get 24 hours to make your pick (or whatever the time rules are currently)

You don't have to post your picks at the beginning of the round if you are a late or mid pick. But this will just help move things along. I know you can send your picks to smoz, but smoz can't be on all the time and he'll be getting a million PMs. At least this way wherever the draft is getting stalled we can go to that players thread they created and make their pick for them.

This is not required for prot rounds since they are supposed to be secret.

Quick edit: the two hour rule only counts during mainstream hours; I'm thinking 11 AM EST to 1 AM EST is fair.

Edited by crackawhat

deadlines added (with a bit of a buffer tonight to avoid "there are deadlines and i'm already skipped??" issues)

interesting idea, but i don't think many people would like looking ahead more than 5 picks in the first few rounds. Also, I wouldn't want to broadcast my pick to everyone: I would expect to see people 2-3 spots after one guy stealing his guy and then try to trade him back to get an improved mid-draft pick ("i took messier from you. draft hull for me and swap 5ths and i'll give him back").

But yeah I'll try to make it a bit more strict next time. We had a few full-day holdups that really sucked (for one of with, i figured it was friday night and people want to go have some real life fun). Lists will be stressed more somehow.

deadlines added (with a bit of a buffer tonight to avoid "there are deadlines and i'm already skipped??" issues)

interesting idea, but i don't think many people would like looking ahead more than 5 picks in the first few rounds. Also, I wouldn't want to broadcast my pick to everyone: I would expect to see people 2-3 spots after one guy stealing his guy and then try to trade him back to get an improved mid-draft pick ("i took messier from you. draft hull for me and swap 5ths and i'll give him back").

But yeah I'll try to make it a bit more strict next time. We had a few full-day holdups that really sucked (for one of with, i figured it was friday night and people want to go have some real life fun). Lists will be stressed more somehow.

When I say make a list I don't mean your list for 4-5 rounds, I mean a list of potentials you want for the specific round you list. The only problem I can see is advertising your pick. Possibly make it so everyone MUST submit a list to you for every round? Problem here is your inbox is gonna be flooding.