NHL'94 Forums

Crowd Level - real life examples

smozoma

I always wondered just how loud 80db, 100db, etc. were. Now we have an idea!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ottcit-ca-4473003

We took our measurements from the press box in each building to be consistent. That means they're not as loud as they would be if taken in the lower bowl, but Gower and Macleod said the figures are a fair representation of the sound levels in their buildings.

Here I picked out some typical moments:

Select stats from an Ottawa-Philadelphia game:

Pre-game ambient noise: 66.4

Senators take the ice for the game: 99.5, 98.0

Game on (start of first period, ambient, no cheering): 75.3, 74.1

Music between whistles: 99.5, 90.2 (It's way too loud, I really hate the music volume when I'm at a Sens game)

Organ between whistles: 91.4, 85.2

First Ottawa goal (Foligno, second): 98.3

Response to "Everybody Clap Your Hands" recording: 104.3, 95.9

Select stats from Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs

Pre-game ambient noise: 65.1, 63.0 (music playing low, fans just starting to come in, one hour before game.

Canadiens take the ice for pre-game warm-up: 101.5 (high), 97.8 (low)

Canadiens take the ice for the game (music, cheering): 105.2, 101.2

Normal game noise (just watching -these moments are rare): 81.5, 78.6

Music between whistles: 98.2, 86.5 for the Boys are Back in Town and 95.9, 89.7 for Don't Stop Believing)

Organ between whistles: 89.8

First Montreal goal (Hamrlik, 5: 23 first period): 105.2

First Maple Leafs goal (Kessel, 8: 00, first): 95.4

EDIT: Found more information:

http://www.controlnoise.com/decibel-chart/

90 Sustained Exposure May Cause Hearing Loss

100 Blender

105 Train

110 Power Saw

120 Pain Begins (Sandblasting, Shot Gun)

130 Cymbal Crash, Air Raid Siren

140 Dragcar Racing, Military Jet, Shotgun, Rock Concert

150 Chest Wall Begins to Vibrate

160 Ear Drum Breaks Instantly

180 Death of Hearing Tissue

194 Loudest Possible Sound

I've heard or read somewhere a long time ago that the Star-Spangled Banner at the 1991 All Star game was close to 180 DB. I've heard it was the equivalent to a F-16 winnipeg jet. Now, I can't say for certain or this is an old wives tale but this has been stuck in my memory for awhile now. I was kinda young and remember thinking it was going to be WW3 when the war first started.

What I do know is, the Chicago Stadium was just awesome. I wish some of you guys could of been to a game there. Loud as loud can be. Remember the Roar. Your ears would still be ringing the whole car ride home and I'm not even lying. That's how loud it was in that old architecture. They say the sound was just locked inside the place and had nowhere to go. A ton of books are out there about the Stadium. St. Louis fans, Detroit, Toronto, those rivalries back then, it didn't matter. They all say the Chicago Stadium was the best place to watch a hockey game. I boycotted the United Center for 6 years after that! f**king Wirtz. I finally gave in.

When the Hawks sucked, man I miss those days- no lines for the bathroom, no lines for beer- NONE, AT ALL, NEVER. Hockey was D E A D in Chicago after Roenick, Chelios (traitor), Belfour, and finally Amonte left. For a long. long, long time. The Hawks marketing team came out with a slogan a couple years ago that said, "Hockey never left Chicago, but it sure has returned." Something along those lines. WRONG! Hockey left Chicago and in a big way. It was a freakin' morgue in that place. Me and a couple of other guys stayed true all those years. Hockey fans in Chicago were few and very far between. But I can't blame them.

Are there a lot of bandwagon fans like Detoilet and Vancouver say? Yes, there are. Vancouver doesn't exactly like us (trashy fans- I think worse than Montreal from the article I've read) and Detroit will say that because of the rivalry so it's cool.

-O.T. there is an article out there I read that said Montreal has the worst fans. But, then I read a few years ago Montreal has the most loyal fans. I don't know. But Vancouver fans are just jerks. I've read the Calgary message boards and boy are they right.

I can tell you all about Chicago during those years and the fans if you guys are interested, the bandwagon bars, I can disprove any rumors, players who wouldn't sign with Chicago, anything you'd like let me now. What it was like growing up in a BIG city that didn't follow hockey. Try to imagine that. All you guys in Canada who like hockey. It's a weird, weird feeling.

Edited by Comeback_King

I've heard or readsomewhere a long time ago that the Star-Spangled Banner at the 1991 All Star game was close to 180 DB. I've heard it was the equivalent to a F-16 winnipeg jet. Now, I can't say for certain or this is an old wives tale but this has been stuck in my memory for awhile now. I was kinda young and remember thinking it was going to be WW3 when the war first started.

I'm going to say it wasn't 180 dB... 140 perhaps.

100 Blender

105 Train

110 Power Saw

I'm going to say it wasn't 180 dB... 140 perhaps.

100 Blender

105 Train

110 Power Saw

what did you say? can you repeat that?

Okay, so perhaps I've never been to Chicago Stadium, but I can understand the huge racket whenever the Blackhawks or the Bulls played (And yes, they both played in the same building). When I saw the NBA finals on the Bulls' twin pack of threepeats, you can just feel the energy coming from the crowd as the Bulls basically brought their A game every night. It was just a marvel watching those teams and now that both the Blackhawks and Bulls are back, you can hear all the noise in there again.

BTW, Comeback King, does this mean you haven't been to a Blackhawks game these last 3 years?

BTW, Comeback King, does this mean you haven't been to a Blackhawks game these last 3 years?

No, I have been to a few games. Right after they opened up the United Center which I think was in '94, go figure, is when I did my boycott for a handful of years. At one time for awhile it was great, they had a student discount plan for tickets being purchased at the door. Show any student I.D. and get a 300 level ticket for $10. That's right, you could just walk right up 5 minutes before puck drop and get a ticket because no one followed hockey. We did that all the time. I miss those days when they sucked.

At the U.C. you have the 100 level, 200 level, and 300 level.

The 100 level is where all the hot shots sit, the rich priks, the guys who are bandwagon fans and wear suits to the games looking for chicks. The same guys who pronounce Toews, "TOES". Not all, but a lot, especially recently.

The 200 level is just a mixture and I think they have private bars.

The 300 level is where the real fans are. The fans who followed the Hawks through the thick and thin. The ones who wear the best God damn looking jerseys to the games. Well, maybe the Buffaslug looks cool (what were they thinking?) It's the loudest at the top. That's where all the chants start too, not the 100 level. Those guys feel they pay top dollar and they want to relax and enjoy the game. I'm speaking from experience. And the view isn't bad at all. From upstairs, you can see the whole play developing. It actually benefits you in a way to watch hockey from above. Don't get me wrong, nothing beats sitting on the glass to see just how fast the game really is, and all the sounds. I've had that pleasure once. But when you're a piss poor Polak like me, 300 level for you.

I've only been to a handful of Bulls games. Very loud also. You're right about feeding off that intensity Ice Guy. I remember being a kid and at the upstairs level they had rafters that the men would beat and pound on like a drum with both fists as hard as they can. The sound would VIBRATE across the section, imagine that around the whole Stadium! "Bull-shite! doom doom, Bull-shite doom doom! After the ref called a bad foul that the fans didn't agree with.

Oh, and the fights with the red wing fans lol. I saw some good ones. My Dad or my uncle would have to hold me tight so I didn't get swept away in the crowd. What a shame. I didn't even get started on the organ. F'in' Dollar Bill Wirtz. The old Comiskey Park needed to go, I could see that, but the Stadium should of been restored like Wrigley Field was. Hell, for that matter the Montreal Forum and the others too. Aren't all the original 6 stadiums gone?

I've also saw a show about Bobby Orr in his last years and how his bad knees couldn't take walking up the stairs to the ice level every game.

Turn up your speakers:

Listen to the Tomahawk drums!

Wayne Messmer was actually robbed and shot in the throat and made a full recovery a few years after this. He still sings.