NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Sega Generations

I was looking at the ratings from 94-98 and thought of something.

The idea is you take all the players from 94-98 and put them into a pool for drafting. A player's stat is determined by the average of that stat category over the years the played.

Example - Shot Powers of 3,3,4,4 and 4 throughout 94-98 will give the player

A shot power of 4.

You can prime TWO or maybe THREE players you draft. This means you can choose what you think their best season was and take it as their stats.

Example - Brian Leetch becomes a 98 overall if you take his stats from NHL 97, or Paul Kariya becomes a whooping 106 OVR if you take it from NHL 98

With the high-low ratings in 94-96 and mid-high ratings in 97-98, a lot of players stay the same if they didn't have a breakout season and you dont prime them. Guys like Cliff Ronning, Theoren Fleury, Brian Bradley have similar stats to 94, while guys like Keith Tkachuk are boosted heavily from their breakout seasons.

Something like that wouldnt be too bad, if you play it smart you could end up with a great team.

Whether the weight bug would be in or not is something I don't know. If the weight bug was in maybe people would play it smarter by drafting Gretzky and priming for his 4-4 shot, I don't know.

This is up for Discussion B)

interesting concept. I'm not sure why anybody would ever choose to employ a bug, but, then again, people love that Genesis version, so there's no accounting for some preferences. it seems like it would be a lot of work for everybody involved, but if you could keep everybody from acting like a fifteen-year-old on a message board, it'd certainly be interesting. I think it's a great idea, but I can't imagine it working out too well.

are you sure it's a bug? I guess it could be. maybe it's an accidental feature. it's a neat thing you can do. how it compares to the weight atrocity, I'm not sure. that is a serious "bug."

Edited by trudatman

Weight fix would make it more balanced for sure, There are a lot of quick people to choose from and a lot of heavy guys that wouldn't go to waste.

Anyway, I will have a spreadsheet with all 1000 players and their overalls by tonight probably if you're interested in seeing it.

Edited by PlabaxV2

are you sure it's a bug? I guess it could be. maybe it's an accidental feature. it's a neat thing you can do. how it compares to the weight atrocity, I'm not sure. that is a serious "bug."

lol, of course it's a bug, and you know it is too. (It's not in the instructions as a "feature" or function).

But it's an example of how an element like that just becomes part of the game and doesn't ruin the game. Weight bug is obviously whack, but it doesn't ruin the game, just changes the dynamics. Same with every other feature. :)

word. I think the weight fail absolutely ruins the game. maybe it's because I think having the playable characters reflect the real players that they are supposed to emulate is a crucial aspect of the games. I guess others think the stand up button is a drawback, but I just don't see it that way. personal bias, I guess. I love the stand up button. but, according to EA, people like these old games because they are "over the top." I like them because I think they make great and fun simulations of actual hockey. maybe I'm one of very few that uses manual line changes so fatigue is a factor. I also use twenty-minute periods and full penalties. heck, i went as far as making sure the fourth lines are "in the game." for folks that like NHL Hitz or whatever that clownshoes game is called, I imagine no penalties, five minute-periods, automatic goalie, no line changes, weight bug active is all to the good. to each theirs, so I'd support efforts to make the stand up button an selectable feature rather than a sure option. more hacking!

NHL Hitz 2003 on the xbox was actually pretty fun. Even some good mini games (like the checking pond). The gamecube version sucked, though (except of course the checking pond..).

Real knights on horses don't move in L shapes, but that doesn't prevent people from enjoying chess.

Sid Meyer's Civilization doesn't model a real civilization at alllll.

And fooseball, wtf. Who plays soccer in static lines, high kicking like a bunch of chorus girls? And the lack of the ball going out of bounds absolutely ruined the game for me.

Checking on this some stats are crazy. Jagr has 10 Wgt, 6 Spd and a 5-6 shot in his prime! That seems unstoppable, would definitely be more fast paced and higher scoring than regular 94 rosters.

A real question is - I've a league website coming along, but what kind of league should be hosted on it??