NHL'94 Forums

physical cartridges

With so many ROM hacks available, I'm curious do people still buy the cartridges and play on the console or do most people just use emulators now?

I have NHLPA 93, NHL 94 and NHL 95 for SNES. I'm keeping 93 and 94 in case my Bluetooth controller dies, so I can play if my Bluetooth controller dies for my android TV box. 95 isn't a must have for me so I may give it away some day.

Only copies I see at my Retro game store is NHLPA 93.

I feel most people use emulators these days especially with the price gouging on original cartridges. There are a lot of reproduction(fake) cartridges out there too that deter people from collecting games.

Then there are those sort of in the middle who buy a flash cart(like krikkz’ EverDrive) where you load ROMs(aka games) onto a microSD card, put it in the flash cartridge, and pop it into the console(Genesis/SNES) to play on real hardware. I believe some flash carts come with the ability to utilize game genie too for those annoyingly hard games. 

I used to see a retro game seller at the farmer's market I would go to. While perusing one day, I overheard her talking to another couple of people.

"What's this game like?"
"Oh, It's about <insert back-of-the-box synopsis>."
"What if I can't get it to work?"
"Oh, sometimes you just need to take it out and blow into the cartridge." [WHAT?! NO!!!]
"It's a bit pricey..."
"Well I just go by ebay prices."

People like this getting into the game, along with the rampant counterfeiting, are the reason why I don't buy original games that much anymore. That and I figure if I'm looking to buy a copy of City Connection, or maybe to stay topical Pro Sport Hockey, but Jaleco isn't getting a penny from me anyway, then I feel no problem with just going with a flashcart/emulator. I'm only interested in playing the games, not padding the wallets of speculators.

1 hour ago, von Ozbourme said:

I used to see a retro game seller at the farmer's market I would go to. While perusing one day, I overheard her talking to another couple of people.

"What's this game like?"
"Oh, It's about <insert back-of-the-box synopsis>."
"What if I can't get it to work?"
"Oh, sometimes you just need to take it out and blow into the cartridge." [WHAT?! NO!!!]
"It's a bit pricey..."
"Well I just go by ebay prices."

People like this getting into the game, along with the rampant counterfeiting, are the reason why I don't buy original games that much anymore. That and I figure if I'm looking to buy a copy of City Connection, or maybe to stay topical Pro Sport Hockey, but Jaleco isn't getting a penny from me anyway, then I feel no problem with just going with a flashcart/emulator. I'm only interested in playing the games, not padding the wallets of speculators.

EBay is ridiculous on games.

My retro game store is reasonable on games. When I bought NHL 95 SNES a few months back the owner was there and threw an Old Skool cartridge cleaner for free. Too bad its an hour away or I'd go more often.

I am unfortunately playing Earthbound on an emulator. I'm not paying that price.

Edited by WileECoyote

Interesting video on why game prices are so crazy suddenly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLFEh7V18A .

But as for why some people would buy the actual cartridges, it's for nostalgia and collectibility... Kind of like hockey cards, you wouldn't want a picture of a rookie card of your favourite player from when you were growing up, you'd want the real thing. Lots of people are happy to play emulated games, but some are happier with the real thing. Then there's stuff like playing on a CRT TV so that the graphics look as they were intended...