NHL'94 Forums

How To Make Game Movies (avi)

smozoma

Hey guys,

I made a tutorial for recording online games to AVI files, which can be uploaded to YouTube.

Here is the link:

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4917

It's not finished yet. I'll keep adding to it over the next few days.

When you play a game using the p2p version of Kaillera (even if you're doing client mode on a server), you can put a checkmark next to "record game". This will create a small .KREC file from which someone using the tutorial can create a YouTube video. So, basically, I suggest recording every game you play in the league! If you have a doozy of a game, you could upload the file to the forum and other people could watch the game, and maybe someone would feel like converting it to an AVI video. This would be pretty neat during the playoffs.

recordgamep2pconnect.png

recordgamehostp2p.png

Hey smo, cannot upload a GS0 file for some reason.

2 things:

first, the forum doesn't allow you to upload all file types. it only lets you upload files with approved extensions, and i guess gs0 isn't on that list. so, if you want to share a gs0 file, you need to ZIP it first, then upload the ZIP file. or, convince Evan to set up the forum to allow gs0 files (but i think it's best to just ZIP them, so they don't start taking up all of the hard drive space on the forum's server!).

second, the gs0 files are not recordings of the whole games (and aren't mentioned in the tutorial so far :D). They just contain the "state" of the emulator at the time you save it, like what the current score is, the current location of the players (if the game is still running), etc. You can use the gs0s to make highlight clips (which i'll be explaining the "adding replays" section of the tutorial in a few days -- basically, you do a save right after something interesting happens in teh game, then you can load the game from the quicksave and use the Instant Replay function in the game in order to see what happened), but they are not what you need in order to record a whole game. to record a whole game, you need to use the KREC files generated by Netplay/Kaillera.