NHL'94 Forums

Scheduling Idea

angryjay93

I've been brainstorming a way within myself of how to possibly lessen the amount of DNP's. And i think i came up with something interesting

On the first day of the season, 10 games are released (5 pairs) all against non conference opponents.

Now lets assume we go with 20 teams next season. The next 5 pairings to be released would be against the rest of the non conference opponents in an attempt to allow teams to get their less important games out of the way first and become more familiar with their teams and strategies before heading into the more important conference games.

At this point 18 pairings are left, 2 pairings against each in conference team, they would be released next, hopefully having more in conference games at the end will allow for even more exciting playoff races and more reason for people to play more important games at the end of the season. Also at this point, people are hopefully very comfortable with their teams and it could create an environment where people are playing their best hockey in their most critical games.

Feel free to leave any comments.

I feel this is a great idea that should benefit most people. I know some people want all games released at once, but then there won't really be much playoff, scoring, etc. races. This way makes it more exciting and it also should like angryjay said create an environment where people are playing their best hockey.

And just to clarify, angryjay and dmitry are the commissioners of GDL now right?

Donch is still commish, everything im proposing to do will take place after the finals which is when the torch will be passed on to me.

D is still the big chief, its his league and he runs everything behind the scenes, its just my job to shoulder the majority of the day to day issues.

I like it.

How about we combine this with the east/west conference idea, too? Games against guys on the opposite coast are harder to get in, so release those games right away so they're available right from the start.

Here's how I'd like to see it go:

(assuming 24 teams)

2x6 non-conference games

2x5 own division (early season matchups..)

2x6 non-conference

2x6 conference (other division)

2x5 own division (final playoff rush)

----

56 games

The reason I put some division games at the start is so there are two separate meetings throughout the season.. you see the guy at the start of the season when he's getting used to his team, then you see him again right at the end when he's used to his team and important points are on the line.