NHL'94 Forums

Restart league, using weight bug fix?

smozoma

Now that the NHL season is approaching, things are starting to move again in the nhl94 community. I'd like to get Blitz moving again, too.

However, I want to restart the seasons because 1) i've fixed the weight bug and 2) i've added code to NHL94 that tracks how many checks each player dishes out each game.

The original idea of Blitz was to change the weights of the players to put their checking abilities more in line with what you'd expect (Neely, Bourque, etc should be monster checkers; Yzerman, Ronning, etc should be pushovers). The unfortunate side effect of this change was that changing the weights changed the accelerations of the players, so not only did the lighter, quicker players such as Bure and Selanne lose their checking ability, but they also lost some of their agility (as weight affects acceleration and turning ability). The weight bug fix.. fixes this.

Also, the Blitz league is a full-stats league, like GDL. I want the stats to all be consistent over the different seasons. With the new individual-player checking stats, this creates a big problem since the games already played don't have these stats.

Since I want to use the checking stats in the game, I want to ignore the games we've already played.

"A" League

Obviously, this is no problem for the "A" league: they haven't played any games!

"B" League

Unfortunately about half the guys in the "B" league have played over 1/4 of the season already.

The only B player to have played over 1/2 the season, though, is vinniersmith, and he thinks he won't be able to play this fall, due to internet connection issues.

A reset would also help if any of the players aren't coming back this winter.

Thoughts? I'm "this" close to doing it. I know it's annoying for the guys who've already played ~20 games, but I think it's worth it.

I've played 22 games and have almost no problem with it - I know that gr8199 said that part of the draft was different because we were looking at different stats, so that's something to consider when changing the beast. However, due to the fact that nobody's played a game in the A division, maybe they've forfeited their right to care?

I understand that the players are a bit different due to the un-changing of the weights (and I know my team is worse for it). An idea I had was to have a 2-round free agent period to replace some of their newly-useless players with newly ok guys (though really they'd all be benchwarmers anyway). Draft position would be random; 2nd round would be reverse order (snaking). Another trade period should be good, too.

I'll have something figured out for next weekend.

As for the A leaguers not playing, I don't think it matters. Summer just doesn't work for these kinds of leagues; I won't have any more seasons outside the NHL season after this.