NHL'94 Forums

SNWHA beta rom

halifax

SNWHA0127.smc.zip

There were 26 teams from the World Hockey Association that played from 1972-1979. During that time, teams moved to new cities, folded mid season, and even moved to other cities mid–season. For this reason, you will see several names over and over again as they played with several franchises. Some teams played for all 7 seasons (Winnipeg, Edmonton, New England, Quebec)….to as little as 7 games (Ottawa Civics). Player attributes will be different on each team as the same player performed differently on each team. In comparison to the original nhl94 rom, forwards stats are inflated and defensemen stats are deflated which I think will make for a fun and interesting in rom.

The players names for the 26 teams will be correct for their team and positions will be somewhat correct. I didn’t place the forwards in their exact positions at centre or the wing. I don’t think this matters much since many people like to move guys around anyways.

I didn’t want to spend more time to correct jersey numbers or whether a person shoots left/right. I’ll correct this issue if we have a second season.

You’ll also notice the Soviet All stars and Czech All stars are in the rom. In the 1977-78 season, the WHA had 8 league games where those national teams competed against each WHA team that counted towards points in the standings. So I included them in the rom.(plus it fit perfectly for 28 teams).

I could find very little info about the Czech team that competed and even less about the Soviets. So it’s quite possible guys I have on forward, were on D and vice versa. I added these teams in to complete the rom of 28 teams.

The rom itself is mostly in order alphabetically however you’ll notice the Czech team and Soviets out of place and one or two other teams as well. Long story short, I tried to do fit the rom in regards to number of players per team and then realized soon after that wasn’t the best way to go about it and that it would take too much time to correct my mistake…so my apologies for any frustration that it may cause.

The league will have line changes with no penalties or offsides. These settings are set as the default.

I obviously would’ve liked to spend more time on the rom to make it a little more authentic but I’d rather get the league going.

Please play some games against other members and record results in the confirmed games area. Please try and use as many teams as possible both home and away and indicate that. I’ll post a test score in the confirmed scores section. It's important that you play at least a game so that I know you are still interested in the league.

And post any errors you find in the rom…such as the rom crashing or gets messed up….noticing the same player on two separate lines etc.

If it's possible you could research about the Czech and Soviet all-stars via sites like HockeyDB.com, Wikipedia or some other site that has the info about them. I imagine it'll help when finalizing the rom.

You're also gonna edit out the team logos or at least change the name of the cities like in NHL 94?

Will the games be 5-min periods or 10-min ones?

Edited by RedWingDevil

If it's possible you could research about the Czech and Soviet all-stars via sites like HockeyDB.com, Wikipedia or some other site that has the info about them. I imagine it'll help when finalizing the rom.

Thanks...I had checked out hockeydb.com while doing the rom. They had some of czech playersbut no stats...and nothing listed for the soviets at all. There is a book on the WHA that has statistics on the entire league. I was able to to read some samples of statistics through a pdf but the print was blurry on my screen so that in some cases, I was guessing at the russian names.

You're also gonna edit out the team logos or at least change the name of the cities like in NHL 94?

Will the games be 5-min periods or 10-min ones?

It's 5 minute periods....the rom is set to the default settings for the league so you won't have to make any changes.

No one has been able to figure out how to edit the logos for SNES...Unfortunately this would nice to have but not possible at the moment.

In regards to city names...snes has a funny way of reacting in terms of how many letters you can use for names...I thought that I understood it but when I created the rom the first time it caused several problems....so I kept it safe by using abbreviations in many cases instead of exceeding the character count.

I think most importantly...before I forget....this would not have been possible if it wasn't for Statto's editor...so I owe a huge thanks to him.

In regards to city names...snes has a funny way of reacting in terms of how many letters you can use for names...I thought that I understood it but when I created the rom the first time it caused several problems....so I kept it safe by using abbreviations in many cases instead of exceeding the character count.

Do tell?

It's 5 minute periods....the rom is set to the default settings for the league so you won't have to make any changes.

No one has been able to figure out how to edit the logos for SNES...Unfortunately this would nice to have but not possible at the moment.

That's funky; city names like Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Los Angeles can fit just fine in the original ROM. Maybe rechecking the characters could work later.

Try this ROM on for size and let me know if it works alright,

Cheers

Will do.....I'll try and check it out sometime tonight. thanks!

Great rom! But looks like you put Winnipeg at the same spot as one of the All-star teams. Which makes it impossible to use them in a single player best of 7 playoff.

You should download the SNES editor, change the number of teams selectable in the playoffs to 28 under I think the menu screen, then open the playoffs screen and swop a team out (or several teams out) with Winnipeg, and save as a different rom. This should allow you to playoffs with the 'peggers.

Overall a pretty good rom...I'm a little disappointed that Jack and Steve Carlson aren't included for Minnesota (yeah, they only played a couple of seasons and weren't great in the WHA, but c'mon, they're the Hanson Brothers!)

Yeah I had thought about puttin em in....I think I had also left out Mark Messier (who played briefly for Cincinnati I believe).For next season I'd like to do an update...so I can make a few changes then.

Any interest in playing the season at all?