NHL'94 Forums

Couple of new ideas for leagues

Here are two ideas which I had thought of these past days, just so we can make it interesting.

- The Bad Teams league

Ever wanted a better challenge in leagues with a different team, and yet you still prevail? Do you want to really test your skills? Well, for a variant of Classic league, I have the Bad Teams league! Basically, you take on the bad and mediocre teams like San Jose, the Panthers and the Ducks and the weight bug heavy teams like Edmonton, Hartford and the Islanders and the other participants do the same in a wacky league that shall help us determine who is really the best of us all. Be prepared to be considered a god amongst men if you prevail. :blink:

- The Benchwarmers league

There are many superstars and great players in the universal microcosm that is NHL 94. But even them deserve a break every once in a while, so what about the guys behind them? They too play in the league and they feel that they're also entitled to reach the top, even if it's just once! So for this league, the superstars get a well deserved rest and the bench guys get to battle it out! This may become a draft league in which we only choose the guys that belonged in the 2nd and Checking lines in the game and that also includes the backup goalies as well. If there's a 1st season, each of us will choose a team and its players therein, leaving out the superstars in this one and in subsecuent seasons we can do a players draft to diversify the playing field. I determine that the weight bug fix is made present for this league, just like with the 91 and Blitz leagues.

So, what do you guys think of that?

Here's a third idea. This one's been in my head longer than the other two.

It looks like Smoz will go ahead with another farm league for Blitz, but why should his rom be limited to check out newcomers that want to have a shot for Blitz when it could bring a new element to the Classic league? The league will keep the same rules, but this time the weight bug-free version will come into play this time equally for all Gens players. We all know that most of us go for some of the lighter and middleweight teams and try to make a lot of adjustments with the heavier teams, but I think it's time that some of those teams recieve some more love, which they recieve in the SNES version. I was hoping to be able to use either Smoz' rom or TruePensFan for it, but until I contact the latter, it may come down to Smoz. With his full consent, of course.

My wish is to give more variety to the Classic league and since Halifax went ahead with the WHA league for SNES, why not go for something like this in Gens? What's everyone's thoughts will all the three ideas?

Edited by RedWingDevil

I always wanted somebody to make me a no-star team or two. Greg Smyth, Stan Drulia, Steph B in goal, the TNS of Reggie Savage... I always end up playing with scrubs for the challenge.

I think the bad teams league is a cool idea, because it would be fun to switch it up for a change and have a reason to use someone like the islanders or something. Also it could make those players who are superstar dependent have to learn to adapt to a different style (bastards). This is why the SNWHA league was fun because you had your good team and your junk team. However, I don't see the winner being considered any better than someone winning a normal league because usually people pick the better teams anyways, so the field is usually evened regardless.

The only reason I'd be against a bench-warmers league is because I find you appreciate your depth players when you play with line changes anyways, especially with 10 minute periods. I understand there are reasons for most leagues being 5 minutes, but I think a 10 min line change league, with less games played, would be bomb. Also, its more elegant because you have no artificially enforced settings or mods, the rules are already there as an option in the game. Plus, line changes on the fly make you feel like a PIMP.

Well, you can think of the Benchwarmer league as a nice warmup for any future 10-min league to grow accustomed to the players and thus you can come up with some strategies that help your game. If the 10-min leagues don't pan out or aren't accepted, it'll always be available

Edited by RedWingDevil

Guest Houli
that would be boring. i wanna see a league with every skater perfect everything and every goalie at like 1 or 2 everything with 3 min periods. the comebacks would be epic.

ITS TRUE!!!! f**k ITS TRUE!!!

that would be boring. i wanna see a league with every skater perfect everything and every goalie at like 1 or 2 everything with 3 min periods. the comebacks would be epic.

I would like to see a come back for the Cap League... All equal teams and players juiced up to be super fast and skilled. It was cool too because everyone could sign up at anytime, 4-games vs everyone, no game checkpoints, and it kept everyone busy by playing games that at least meant something during the summer. It also gave newcomers the chance to sign in to a league right away so they didnt have to wait 3 or 4 months for the next classic season to start up.

Edited by kupuck19

I would like to see a come back for the Cap League... All equal teams and players juiced up to be super fast and skilled. It was cool too because everyone could sign up at anytime, 4-games vs everyone, no game checkpoints, and it kept everyone busy by playing games that at least meant something during the summer. It also gave newcomers the chance to sign in to a league right away so they didnt have to wait 3 or 4 months for the next classic season to start up.

yeah, cap was cool, especially for getting new players into the scene

You can talk to Metz about that, but who knows if he'll get around it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had thought of another idea for a league, so I'm just gonna edit the first post and write it in there.