NHL'94 Forums

Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey League...

TruePensFan1981

Some of you joined my Yahoo! fantasy hockey league last season, and are more than welcome to join yet again. Pasted below is all of the necessary information for you to understand the league and be able to log in and join it. If you are joining, then please sign up as soon as possible. This league uses a head-to-head format; therefore, it cannot operate with an odd number of teams. The sooner everybody joins, the sooner I can finalize the teams list.

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey

League ID Number: 3364

Password: hockey

This league uses a head-to-head scoring format and will feature a 25-round draft. In each round, you will have 60 seconds to select your player. At present time, the live online draft is scheduled for Saturday, September 24 @ 7:00 p.m. EDT.

ROSTER SETUP

C (4)

W (6)

D (5)

Util (3)

G (2)

Bench (5)

IR (3)

SKATER STATS

Goals

Assists

Plus/Minus

PIM

Powerplay Points

Shots on Goal

Faceoffs Won

Hits

GOALIE STATS

Games Started

Wins

Goals Against Average

Saves

Save Percentage

Shutouts

Great, I'm in!

I like that you have fewer Goalie categories this season. The goalies were too important last time.

Well, I don't really have fewer goalie categories, per se. I pretty much have the same things I always had for goalies, except that I removed losses and I added starts and saves. The reason it seems like there's fewer goalie categories this time is because I added more skater categories.

Plus/Minus and PIM are obvious stats to use in leagues. With PP Points, Shots on Goal, Hits and Plus/Minus, d-men have more valuable than they had in my leagues before. Teams won't be able to get away with just loading up on forwards now and ignoring d-men.

As for the goalies: goalies will always be important; however, I like the changes I made to the goaltending categories. Over the years, I have noticed people abusing the goalie categories. For example, somebody would get lucky and go 2-0 with 2 shutouts (0.00 GAA and 1.000 SV%) and then bench their goalies for the rest of the week. They will not get away with such abuse this time. If somebody abuses those stats in such a manner this year, then they will lose in Games Started and lose in Saves.

With my new settings, I feel goalies still play an important role in a team's success and managers now have incentive to play their goalies as often as possible. Furthermore, these new settings help increase the trade value of defensemen as well. I think it will be a very balanced, fun and competitive league. The beauty of being a commissioner over the years is that if you pay enough attention, you can always find ways to improve your leagues. I think I'm a wiser commish now than I was years ago. I hope you all have fun in this league (but get your asses kicked when you play against me).

But why would you bench a goalie that's really running on a hot streak even if you got both shutouts? o.O Let's pretend that a goalie on the month of Novemmber (Like say, Jonathan Quick, Tomas Vokoun or Roberto Luongo) starts in around 14-15 games and goes on a 11-2-1 tear that includes around 3-4 SOs for his team? You don't want to bench the guy, you want him to win all of those games for you and your team! You'd have to be a complete 100% pure fruitloop if you commit such idiocy that comes to bite you on the ass a few months later.

Edited by RedWingDevil

But why would you bench a goalie that's really running on a hot streak even if you got both shutouts? o.O Let's pretend that a goalie on the month of Novemmber (Like say, Jonathan Quick, Tomas Vokoun or Roberto Luongo) starts in around 14-15 games and goes on a 11-2-1 tear that includes around 3-4 SOs for his team? You don't want to bench the guy, you want him to win all of those games for you and your team! You'd have to be a complete 100% pure fruitloop if you commit such idiocy that comes to bite you on the ass a few months later.

The only thing idiotic here is your failure to read. This is a head-to-head league, which means there are weekly matchups. I have seen managers abuse their numbers in a weekly matchup by benching goalies for the rest of the week when they get a hot start. By including starts and saves as stats this year, that eliminates the incentive to abuse the statistics in such a way.

If any of you are interested, I have three teams available in another league (my keeper league) and I need replacement managers for those three teams. In my keeper league, you have to choose 10 players to protect, but no more than two of them can be goalies. In other words, you can protect 8 skaters and 2 goalies, 9 skaters and 1 goalie, or 10 skaters and 0 goalies. Regardless of which players you protect, you must protect 10 players. The unprotected players go into the draft pool.

If any of you are interested in joining, then please reply to this topic and state which team you want. I will paste the three teams below. These teams will be assigned on a first-come/first-serve basis. After you state your interest and which team you want, then I will send you the necessary information to join the keeper league. Once you have the information and the league settings, then you will be fit to determine who your 10 keepers will be.

TEAM 1

Miikka Kiprusoff

Henrik Lundqvist

James Reimer

Patrice Bergeron

Kevin Bieksa

Dustin Brown

Michael Cammalleri

John Carlson

Alexander Edler

Tyler Ennis

Roman Hamrlik

James Neal

Brian Rafalski

Mark Recchi

Stephane Robidas

Tuomo Ruutu

Patrick Sharp

Alex Steen

P.K. Subban

Kimmo Timonen

Lubomir Visnovsky

Jakub Voracek

Radim Vrbata

Stephen Weiss

Justin Williams

Travis Zajac

TEAM 2

Antero Niittymaki

Tomas Vokoun

Daniel Alfredsson

Dustin Byfuglien

Erik Cole

Tim Connolly

Shane Doan

Chris Drury

Sam Gagner

Patric Hornqvist

Evander Kane

Anze Kopitar

Andrei Kostitsyn

Brooks Laich

Nicklas Lidstrom

Alexei Ponikarovsky

Daniel Sedin

Devin Setoguchi

Wayne Simmonds

Ryan Smyth

Sheldon Souray

Mark Streit

Joe Thornton

Dennis Wideman

Marek Zidlicky

TEAM 3

Brian Elliott

Carey Price

Marty Turco

Nik Antropov

Niclas Bergfors

David Booth

Rene Bourque

Danny Briere

Christian Ehrhoff

Tobias Enstrom

Alexander Frolov

Mark Giordano

Olli Jokinen

Erik Karlsson

Pavel Kubina

Andrew Ladd

Jamie Langenbrunner

Patrick Marleau

T.J. Oshie

Dustin Penner

Jason Pominville

Chris Pronger

Mason Raymond

Derek Roy

Alex Tanguay

The only thing idiotic here is your failure to read. This is a head-to-head league, which means there are weekly matchups. I have seen managers abuse their numbers in a weekly matchup by benching goalies for the rest of the week when they get a hot start. By including starts and saves as stats this year, that eliminates the incentive to abuse the statistics in such a way.

No, that's precisely what I am saying. In the older leagues you made with the original stats, coaches bench their star goalies during the hot streak because they don't want to take the losses. All that matters for them is the number of Ws before they sit them and that's what they were doing. That's not a pretty legit for guys to do things and it just smells all kinds of wrong. Now that you added the starts stat, they won't be able to pull such shenanigans and so fair play will be encouraged more.

And Team 1, I thought that Recchi retired now? o.O Did you actually get word that he is coming back?

No, that's precisely what I am saying. In the older leagues you made with the original stats, coaches bench their star goalies during the hot streak because they don't want to take the losses. All that matters for them is the number of Ws before they sit them and that's what they were doing. That's not a pretty legit for guys to do things and it just smells all kinds of wrong. Now that you added the starts stat, they won't be able to pull such shenanigans and so fair play will be encouraged more.

And Team 1, I thought that Recchi retired now? o.O Did you actually get word that he is coming back?

First of all: no, that is not what you were saying in your other post. You were saying that it was idiotic for people to bench their goalies after shutouts back then because they would get hot again months later (thus implying that we're playing in a rotisserie league that keeps track of stats all year). I merely corrected you and said that this is a head-to-head league (in which managers have abused goalie stats in hot weeks for years). I then went on to tell you that attempting to abuse goalie stats this season will lead to being bitten in the ass because if they bench their goalies after getting a great SV% and GAA, they will still lose in starts and saves.

But seriously, stop making stupid posts... it's giving me a headache.

Secondly, Mark Recchi did retire (as did Chris Drury). Despite their retirements, I still have to list those players because I am copying last year's FINAL ROSTERS from those teams.

First of all: no, that is not what you were saying in your other post. You were saying that it was idiotic for people to bench their goalies after shutouts back then because they would get hot again months later (thus implying that we're playing in a rotisserie league that keeps track of stats all year). I merely corrected you and said that this is a head-to-head league (in which managers have abused goalie stats in hot weeks for years). I then went on to tell you that attempting to abuse goalie stats this season will lead to being bitten in the ass because if they bench their goalies after getting a great SV% and GAA, they will still lose in starts and saves.

But seriously, stop making stupid posts... it's giving me a headache.

Secondly, Mark Recchi did retire (as did Chris Drury). Despite their retirements, I still have to list those players because I am copying last year's FINAL ROSTERS from those teams.

Fine, but if you're gonna be a total ass about whatever I post, you should just keep quiet and take it. I won't take it as kindly and patient next time, just so you know.

I'll be present for the league alright, only now you just gave me a better reason why I'll show up.

If Hokkee gets the memo I sent him from Yahoo, he'll start it. Otherwise, someone else make it.

Fine, but if you're gonna be a total ass about whatever I post, you should just keep quiet and take it. I won't take it as kindly and patient next time, just so you know.

I'll be present for the league alright, only now you just gave me a better reason why I'll show up.

As opposed to the ass you've been being for a while? Enough with the macho act. If you're interested in the keeper league, then let me know and let me know which of the three teams you want to take over for. As for the one-year league, you were already in the league. You were one of the first four people to sign up for it before I posted about it here. And once again, it is H2H.

• 2 weeks later...

The only fantasy hockey league I'm in is one of the pay leagues on Yahoo. Twenty dollar entry fee and first place is $125. My draft isn't till this coming Sunday.

Guess I'll have to do some roster homework this week.