NHL'94 Forums

GENS CLASSIC SURVIVOR LEAGUE STARTS!

kingraph

The season begins! All the information you need is below. You will have 4 games against other coaches in your division. There are two links for each division -- one is the spreadsheet to input scores, and the other is a website. I suggest that you use the website to browse the standings, available teams, and individual coach pages and only use the spreadsheet to log scores. This will limit the chances of accidentally erasing a formula, etc.

I tried to make the divisions equal in terms of mix of skill levels. Any issues, please let me know!

East Division (forum name/aim)

01. da94wookiee/Kedzie92

02. dan_lizhot/danlizhot2010

03. dcicon5148/dcicon5148

04. Freydey/Freydey32

05. Josh/Whalersnhl

06. kingraph/kingraph

07. LA Robbie/gretzkyonacold

08. PRoBob38/probob38

09. RedWingDevil/Iceguy94

10. smozoma/smozoma

East Division Spreadsheet to Log Scores: East Division Spreadsheet

East Division Webpage Standings/Available Teams/etc:East Division Webpage

West Division (forum name/aim)

01. Carse/snoboarder3211

02. Bo Knows NHL94/BoKnowsNHL94

03. CamKneely/Vocally Caged

04. eggink444/eggink444

05. Houli/Houly8

06. IceStorm70/IceStormNHL94

07. JayLighter420/JayLighter420

08. kupuck19/kupucknhl94

09. Dragon/Pearate

10. minpind/minpind

West Division Spreadsheet to Log Scores: West Division Spreadsheet

West Division Webpage Standings/Available Teams/etc: West Division Webpage

Current Waiting List

01. flasox24/flasox24

02. hokeeefan/hokeefan2

The 18 Randomly Chosen Teams

BOS

BUF

CAL

CHI

DAL

DET

EDM

HTF

MON

NJ

NYI

NYR

PHI

SJ

TB

TOR

VAN

WSH

------------Not selected (Do not use)------------

LA

PIT

QUE

STL

WPG

ANH (not eligible)

OTT (not eligible)

FLA (not eligible)

OVERVIEW

• 36 game regular season using the classic '94 ROM.
  • 2 divisions of 10 teams
  • Top 7 in each division make playoffs, with division winner getting 1st round bye.
  • "Survivor" style -- you have 18 teams to use 1 home and 1 away game
  • Poor man's website for logging scores and automatic standings update (see below)

RULES

Standard Classic League rules -- 5 min periods, no line changes, penalties on (except offsides).

18 teams will be chosen at random (excluding Anaheim, Florida, and Ottawa) at the start of the season and each coach will have 1 home and 1 away game to use with the 18 teams (36 games total).

You have to use all 18 home and away games for each team, and you can only use each team once.

Once you use a team, you can no longer use them again for the regular season. This is commonly referred as a "survivor" format.

Tracking of available teams will be done automatically (see below).

Away team chooses their team first, and the home team picks second. Home always has the final choice of their team.

POINTS/STANDINGS

2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. No points for OT loss.

Standings based on points, followed by GFA - GAA.

DNPs (if necessary) will be treated as 0-0 ties, but no points awarded.

SCHEDULE/PLAYOFFS

Checkpoints will be based on the average number of games played each week. If you're significantly below average, then you will be warned. Fall too far back and you may be replaced. Deadlines will be posted at some point during the season.

Playoffs

14 teams make the playoffs (7&7)

2 division winners get a bye week

Best of 7 series

Team selections reset at the start of playoffs, with 1 home and 1 away available for the same 18 teams selected in the regular season

Once you use a team, you can no longer use them again in the playoffs

Bye week teams gain an advantage in that they save using 4-7 teams

LOGGING SCORES

Let's say I played my first game with LA Robbie, I was the home team, and I used DAL and he used VAN. Final score was DAL 3 VAN 8.

Since I was home, I am responsible for inputting the score. First I click the link to get to the document (to be provided when season starts)

"A" I find and click on my coach sheet, KingRaph. You will also see your coach name displayed on the top.

Anything I need to input will be shaded green. I find my game against Robbie and click on my home team selection ( B ). Clicking the little arrow will bring up a list of my available home teams to use.

I choose DAL, then click on the cell to input my score of 3. I repeat the process for the away team (Choose VAN, 8).

input1.png

That's it!!!

You'll notice after you input the scores, the cells are no longer green. The records, stats, and standings will automatically be updated (may take up to 5 minutes to be updated on published website), and the list of available teams will also be updated. You see that I no longer have DAL available as a home team to use ( C )

input2.png

When Robbie looks at his screen, he will see the away game results and he will no longer have VAN to use as an away team. There is also an "opponent frequency" field which will track what teams your opponents use against you.

input3.png

Edited by kingraph

not sure about this: "Home team chooses their team first, and the away team picks second. Away always has the final choice of their team."

Seems backwards for the home team to be at a disadvantage, especially if you get home ice advantage in the playoffs.

Kinda agree with Smozoma - if the away coach is allowed to use the same team (ex. CHI vs CHI) there doesn't seem much of an advantage to having first selection because the away coach will have control over choosing a favorable match-up.

Kinda agree with Smozoma - if the away coach is allowed to use the same team (ex. CHI vs CHI) there doesn't seem much of an advantage to having first selection because the away coach will have control over choosing a favorable match-up.

Hmmm, never thought about that. Intuitively I guess having the last pick is an advantage, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around what that advantage is, or how large it is.

But I agree, let's have the home team pick last. Makes sense to have all advantage in playoffs. I'll update the rules.

Great work on this KingRaph! I am so busy this week, but hopefully i'll get my games started Saturday night, or if not on Sunday.

Good luck handling the drama. So glad I haven't had to deal with it! lol

"i vote u off" is funny, but yeah if you can't play, just say it, don't play a game of copycat. let the guy know you can't play so you can both move on instead of wasting time

• 3 weeks later...