Jump to content
NHL'94 Forums

NCAA Hockey: Road to Tampa Bay (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs - Final Update


Sean

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, brianski71 said:

I love college hockey, but I'm without a dedicated favorite team, as I went to a D3 school and root for Pitt in D1 sports and neither has varsity hockey.  I feel like a kid with NHL again, as this project helps connect me to real-life college hockey.

I am in a similar boat, but live near Northeastern and BU so I gravitate towards them. 
 

I’d love for some more of the northern ACC programs to add D1 teams, especially Syracuse and Pitt who have big brands and natural rivals already playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

That looks incredible! I have SO many questions, but no way you have that much time to answer... can you give a quick outline of the features, options, etc. of the game? Or somewhere I/we can go for that info?

Great job to all on this. I am really looking forward to the release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2023 at 10:49 PM, AndrewB said:

That looks incredible! I have SO many questions, but no way you have that much time to answer... can you give a quick outline of the features, options, etc. of the game? Or somewhere I/we can go for that info?

Great job to all on this. I am really looking forward to the release.

More to come!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I really hate doing this, because this has the makings to be the best hockey rom ever. And I am a HUGE fan of your work.

1. Do I only see one referee on ice? Maybe 2 refs still isn't possible?

2. I like how the ref sits up on the side to get away from the puck/players... but maybe a little too often?

I'll just leave it at that so I'm not saying anything is "wrong".

Sorry for being computer chair QB. Thanks! I'll still play it as is, whatever the ref is or isn't doing.

Edited by AndrewB
added ?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, AndrewB said:

I really hate doing this, because this has the makings to be the best hockey rom ever. And I am a HUGE fan of your work.

1. Do I only see one referee on ice? Maybe 2 refs still isn't possible?

2. I like how the ref sits up on the side to get away from the puck/players... but maybe a little too often?

I'll just leave it at that so I'm not saying anything is "wrong".

Sorry for being computer chair QB. Thanks! I'll still play it as is, whatever the ref is or isn't doing.

That’s just how NHL 14/15/LE were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 1/2/2024 at 10:39 AM, AndrewB said:

Hey and Happy New Year! Waiting patiently... any update(s) on either or both of your college hockey projects? Thanks!

Dynasty was a fantasy ROM so I doubt it'll be updated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Smashville said:

Dynasty was a fantasy ROM so I doubt it'll be updated.

Um, no. I am speaking of his (your, @Sean) incredible "Road to Tampa Bay" aka "NCAA Hockey: Road To The Frozen Four series gets shake-up for 2023-24 season" and/or his (your, @Sean) latest effort that's seemed to maybe change a bit... NHL 14/15 Legacy Edition.

 

Thanks, @Sean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Um, no. I am speaking of his (your, @Sean) incredible "Road to Tampa Bay" aka "NCAA Hockey: Road To The Frozen Four series gets shake-up for 2023-24 season" and/or his (your, @Sean) latest effort that's seemed to maybe change a bit... NHL 14/15 Legacy Edition.

 

Thanks, @Sean

Umm No go f**k youself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2024 at 11:28 PM, AndrewB said:

Um, no. I am speaking of his (your, @Sean) incredible "Road to Tampa Bay" aka "NCAA Hockey: Road To The Frozen Four series gets shake-up for 2023-24 season" and/or his (your, @Sean) latest effort that's seemed to maybe change a bit... NHL 14/15 Legacy Edition.

 

Thanks, @Sean

Hi Andrew, thanks for checking in!

I actually just got started again this weekend on the NHL Legacy mod project, and made some slight progress on another 94 ROM in the last few weeks (some tweaks to music, top-down planning, etc)

For the latter, I think I will probably do something with alumni for the top 25 or so programs so it is more evergreen of a project, and doesn't need as much upkeep as 60+ teams of current players. Sadly, some of the smaller programs in conferences like the AHA or CCHA might get left out, but will satisfy the bulk of those who play my ROMs based on interactions I've had here and in a few scattered hockey discords - fans of super popular or traditional blue blood schools like Minnesota, North Dakota, BU, BC, UNH, Maine, etc.

I wish I could deliver on the original plan... I set lots of lofty goals last summer... and probably shouldn't have.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2024 at 11:51 PM, Smashville said:

Umm No go f**k youself

On 1/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, Smashville said:

Sean is probably too busy dealing with his life to deal with morons.

Please be nice on the forum, we're all here because we love the same thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Hi Andrew, thanks for checking in!

I actually just got started again this weekend on the NHL Legacy mod project, and made some slight progress on another 94 ROM in the last few weeks (some tweaks to music, top-down planning, etc)

For the latter, I think I will probably do something with alumni for the top 25 or so programs so it is more evergreen of a project, and doesn't need as much upkeep as 60+ teams of current players. Sadly, some of the smaller programs in conferences like the AHA or CCHA might get left out, but will satisfy the bulk of those who play my ROMs based on interactions I've had here and in a few scattered hockey discords - fans of super popular or traditional blue blood schools like Minnesota, North Dakota, BU, BC, UNH, Maine, etc.

I wish I could deliver on the original plan... I set lots of lofty goals last summer... and probably shouldn't have.

 

Thanks for the update! Just knowing you're slowly but surely making progress is good news. As far as your "lofty goals", hopefully one day that will happen. I have faith. I think to be honest, most of us can't name every player on 60+ college hovkey teams, so evergreen is just fine. Just having the NCAA version is a fun switch-up from 30+ years of NHL.

Thanks again and keep us updated when you can.

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I stumbled upon this while looking for an NCAA hockey video game for my son and can’t believe the amazing work that has been done here. The NHL 94 version looks amazing!! My only question, and please forgive me in advance, is…how do I play it? Is this PC based? Is there anything I need to download in advance in order to play, or is it as simple as downloading the files in this thread?

Any help would be appreciated as I have never delved into this realm of gaming before. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s an amazing ROM

one of my favorites- the organ music in this ROM can’t be beat

i play personally on my steamdeck

i downloaded retroarch and then the ROMs

it was relatively simple and I’m not a tech guy in the slightest

I think there is a whole section on the forums on retroarch

i think but I’m not sure that most folks here are playing on PC

if you have a steamdeck it’s awesome playing NHL ROMs on the couch 😎 

 

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/forum/268-retroarch/

Edited by Cheeseleaver
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CKap219 said:

Hi,

I stumbled upon this while looking for an NCAA hockey video game for my son and can’t believe the amazing work that has been done here. The NHL 94 version looks amazing!! My only question, and please forgive me in advance, is…how do I play it? Is this PC based? Is there anything I need to download in advance in order to play, or is it as simple as downloading the files in this thread?

Any help would be appreciated as I have never delved into this realm of gaming before. Thanks!

Hey there - it is played in RetroArch or any other Genesis emulator. 
 

The rosters are from last year, since I directed my attention at a NHL 16 mod to give a more “AAA”/modern option, but it’s still a blast. 
 

I recommend printing the .txt file included or just having it for easy access to find teams easily, as each rom is only 32 of the 64 teams matched up differently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sean kudos on your creation

Currently running a season project with Princeton after completing one with BU

the organ music is amazing 

id love to see more ROMs that have this as it changes the whole atmosphere of this ROM and I’d personally consider it overall the most fun in this regard

2 questions if you don’t mind

- any future ncaa themed ROMs coming for a 94 or 93 ROM

- do you have a list of the organ music in this ROM - I feel like I still hear new ones on occasion despite playing many games so I’m curious how many there are 

 

thanks in advance 👍

appreciate your hard work 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Cheeseleaver said:

Sean kudos on your creation

Currently running a season project with Princeton after completing one with BU

the organ music is amazing 

id love to see more ROMs that have this as it changes the whole atmosphere of this ROM and I’d personally consider it overall the most fun in this regard

2 questions if you don’t mind

- any future ncaa themed ROMs coming for a 94 or 93 ROM

- do you have a list of the organ music in this ROM - I feel like I still hear new ones on occasion despite playing many games so I’m curious how many there are 

 

thanks in advance 👍

appreciate your hard work 🙏

Thanks! I put a lot of time into the music, so it’s good to hear you like it. 
 

First: I plan on adding making another 94 project at some point with best alumni from each team at some point, just so it never needs to be updated. That’s not a near future thing though, as I am currently working on an NCAA mod for NHL: Legacy on the PC (via PS3 emulators) that is a suck on my free time. I know you said you’re on Steam deck, and I think it may just meet the specs to run the game, although it might require slightly more CPU power. 
 

Second: there should be a Sean’s Music Patch or something like it under the the Tools. I made the version in these ROMs with NHL music also in mind, so some songs you won’t hear (for example, the Panterra “Dallas! Stars”! goal song isn’t representing any college team).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Love the work that you did on this, I have come to really appreciate College Hockey in the last couple of years and I enjoy playin the hell outta of this game, especially in anticipation of the Frozen Four this week. Any updated version for this year in the works? Thank You again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, PuckFace88 said:

Love the work that you did on this, I have come to really appreciate College Hockey in the last couple of years and I enjoy playin the hell outta of this game, especially in anticipation of the Frozen Four this week. Any updated version for this year in the works? Thank You again. 

Hey there - I’ve moved my efforts to working on a mod for NHL Legacy just so I have more surfaces to mod and make something more realistic. It runs on less devices because it has a high CPU overhead, but it’s had great results (see attached).

Sadly I only have time for one mod lately, so this mod is not going to be worked on much more (if ever).

image.pngimage.pngIMG_1424.jpegimage.pngIMG_1424.jpeg

image.png

  • Wow 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks incredible, great work in progress!

1. Have you seen (or tried, or speculated) if yearly roster updates are "easy" like the NHL94 roster updates?

2. Did you list the devices on which this mod can be played? I looked through the posts and didn't see it, maybe I missed it. If so, I apologize... if not, can you list them, please?

3. Great work! I'm really looking forward to this.  Thanks for another tease.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AndrewB said:

This looks incredible, great work in progress!

1. Have you seen (or tried, or speculated) if yearly roster updates are "easy" like the NHL94 roster updates?

2. Did you list the devices on which this mod can be played? I looked through the posts and didn't see it, maybe I missed it. If so, I apologize... if not, can you list them, please?

3. Great work! I'm really looking forward to this.  Thanks for another tease.

1. Yes! A lot easier in fact. Since everything is contained in one file instead of jumping between 4 ROMs. That was what mainly drew me to it, honestly. 
 

2. Higher power PCs and (unofficially) modded PS3s, for now. As emulation gets better this could expand - but it’s a very CPU heavy task. I only know how to do it on a higher power (8+ cores) PC.

Edited by Sean
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Is there interest in a project with alumni rosters for the top 32 or so programs? 
 

I was feeling very nostalgic for this mod after playing it during a train ride, and would love to make something again. I have some unused sprite and music updates that I’d love everyone to see! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Is there interest in a project with alumni rosters for the top 32 or so programs? 
 

I was feeling very nostalgic for this mod after playing it during a train ride, and would love to make something again. I have some unused sprite and music updates that I’d love everyone to see! 

That would be awesome. I was hoping you were gonna do a NCAA Road to St. Paul 2024 especially with all the great freshman talent this year. I went back and discovered the college rom you did with power 5 programs that don t have hockey teams. My mind was blown getting to play USC vs UCLA. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PuckFace88 said:

That would be awesome. I was hoping you were gonna do a NCAA Road to St. Paul 2024 especially with all the great freshman talent this year. 

In hindsight I wish I hadn’t taken the year off, but the modern NHL stuff was fun and a cool challenge. Might try and find a way to convert FHM10 rosters to NHL 94 rosters which would make doing a 23-24 roster super easy, and some guys would definitely make the all-time roster for their schools from this past season.

10 minutes ago, PuckFace88 said:

I went back and discovered the college rom you did with power 5 programs that don t have hockey teams. My mind was blown getting to play USC vs UCLA. 

I think this one is worth revisiting too, but don’t wanna get too ahead of myself yet. It would look great with the crowd/music updates, and and the sprite tweaks I made inspired by some of what Drezz did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Is there interest in a project with alumni rosters for the top 32 or so programs? 
 

I was feeling very nostalgic for this mod after playing it during a train ride, and would love to make something again. I have some unused sprite and music updates that I’d love everyone to see! 

Sean + any NCAA Rom = a giant YES.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 121 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...