NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2023 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

Hy folks, just an FYI. I don't want to promise anything, but I've been finding time to get back on this project, and making lots of progress lately. There's no imminent release in sight, but I'm pushing things a long to get a '24 release out as soon as I can.

• Love 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Great work Adam, just now getting back into the game, Ive got it on my PC and loving it, but is there anyway to get it onto my Mac?  

Also, side question, without the ability to play a season inside the game, what do most of y'all do if you want to play a season?  I was thinking of just playing all 82 games for the Flyers, then slot whatever my record is into the real standings from 2023 and see where that would put me, not ideal, but best I can think of. 

I've never tried to play a season, in fact, I spend WAY more time modding than actually playing, I leave that to you guys. :)

MAC? Easy. Download OpenEmu. It is an all-in-one loader that includes many popular and stable cores for many systems. Highly recommended for Mac users.

Thanks, is there a guide on how to do this, when I download your file onto my Mac, Im unable to open the zipped file and bc of that, I cannot load it into OpenEmu?  I guess my question is, how do I unzip the file on Mac, nothing seems to work?

Update: Disregard, it opened, no idea how, but it did lol. 

Edited by Kramer242

4 hours ago, Kramer242 said:

Thanks, is there a guide on how to do this, when I download your file onto my Mac, Im unable to open the zipped file and bc of that, I cannot load it into OpenEmu?  I guess my question is, how do I unzip the file on Mac, nothing seems to work?

Update: Disregard, it opened, no idea how, but it did lol. 

I think most emulators will play zips, since it was common to zip games back in the day to save hard drive space.

As for unzipping.. that should be built into mac, just double click to bring up the archive extractor? Did you get some error?

Yeah, Mac's unzip files most of the time, but not the .bin files, but I was able to drag the zipped file right into OpenEmu and it worked, which shocked me.  Thanks for the replies!  

Im trying to think up a creative way to play a full season. 

5 hours ago, Kramer242 said:

Yeah, Mac's unzip files most of the time, but not the .bin files, but I was able to drag the zipped file right into OpenEmu and it worked, which shocked me.  Thanks for the replies!  

I guess if you change the file extension from .bin to .md will work

23 hours ago, Kramer242 said:

I can shed some light here.

The problem is that a long time ago (1985) Apple came up with a "MacBinary" file format, which is an archive format like ZIP, and it uses the file name extension .BIN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBinary

Because of this, on a modern Mac the default behaviour for opening a .BIN is to try and de-compress it as a MacBinary. So if you try to double-click a .BIN file, you will get an error, that it cannot decompress the archive. But you don't want to decompress it! You want to have it run in your preferred software.

Most people will NEVER fuss with a MacBinary file. You can safely change the file type association for .BIN to OpenEmu or whatever you like, and it will stop trying to interpret .BIN files as "MacBinary" and then you won't see that error any more.

As noted by everyone else, OpenEmu can read properly formatted ZIPs just fine. Do note that every once and awhile this might not work as expected, if the contents of that ZIP aren't formatted in a way that OpenEmu understands.

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Thanks 3

This may be a dumb question (sorry if it is), is it possible to mod this ROM even more so the cpu is more challenging to play against, particularly to make their offense better?

Second question, whats a good period length to get realistic stats? 

24 minutes ago, Kramer242 said:

This may be a dumb question (sorry if it is), is it possible to mod this ROM even more so the cpu is more challenging to play against, particularly to make their offense better?

Second question, whats a good period length to get realistic stats? 

Not a dumb question at all. There's lots that can be done, but everything comes with a cost. Some ways that you might try:

• increase the Offence Awareness of all players.
  • increase the Defence Awareness of all players.
  • increase the Bias / Roughness of all players.
  • mod the ROM so that the team you use has players with worse attributes than the teams you play against.
  • increase the Aggression & Checking attributes of opponents players. Please note, this will increase penalty calls, so you may want to play with Penalties off if you do this.
  • further reducing the size of the goal may help.

From what I can tell, on Defence the Defence Awareness dictates how many pixels of "vision" each CPU controlled player has. They Aggressiveness indicates how likely they are to go after the puck with their stick if they can "see" it, and their Checking indicates how likely they are to go after the player with their body if they can "see" it. I am less certain on how the offensive "thinking" works.

I'd encourage you to export the ratings from a ROM, edit them in a spreadsheet and, and re-import them to see what happens!

As for your second question, depends on which ROM, and the human players skill level. IIRC my ROMs should give reasonable results for CPU vs CPU games with period length set between 10-20 minutes. At 10 minutes it should be akin to a very low event game, and at 20 minutes it should be akin to a very high event game. But throw a human being into that mix, and all bets are off.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 3:59 PM, AdamCatalyst said:

Hy folks, just an FYI. I don't want to promise anything, but I've been finding time to get back on this project, and making lots of progress lately. There's no imminent release in sight, but I'm pushing things a long to get a '24 release out as soon as I can.

This game is very good. I wait with anticipation the '24 edition.

• Like 1

I am a new to these custom roms.  I would love to try the NHL 94 2023 file.  I have downloaded the BIN file but can't seem to get it to work in RetroArch.  I have lots of ROMs in Retroarch that work including the standard NHL 94.  But they all seem to be in ZIP format.  Not sure if I need to do something with the BIN file. I am on a Mac if that makes any difference.  Anyone's assistance would be appreciated.

18 hours ago, Quasikenny said:

I am a new to these custom roms.  I would love to try the NHL 94 2023 file.  I have downloaded the BIN file but can't seem to get it to work in RetroArch.  I have lots of ROMs in Retroarch that work including the standard NHL 94.  But they all seem to be in ZIP format.  Not sure if I need to do something with the BIN file. I am on a Mac if that makes any difference.  Anyone's assistance would be appreciated.

Hi there,

I've never used Retroarch on a Mac, so I can't help you there, but OpenEmu on the Mac works great. The ROM can be zipped or not zipped, however if it is zipped, there sometimes can be compliance issues with some emulators. This is rare, but I have seen it happened. I believe it has to do with the compression setting. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

p.s. You could also try renaming the .BIN to .SMD, but this shouldn't be necessary either.