NHL'94 Forums

GDL Season 3 Rules Discussion

I think it's obvious that we need to discuss some rules and policies before we start the GDL Season 3. Instead of waiting for D to bring this up, I think it's important for us to come to our own conclusion of the direction that we are looking to go.

Of course, this spearheaded approach is being led for a couple reasons:

1. These new rules will minimize confusion and arguments.

2. They will establish a much needed flow to the season and post-season.

3. They will provide everyone with a fair understanding of their expectations and obligations to this league.

I'm not looking to make any major changes. We have a great league with a great group of guys. Though, I think we would all agree that we need a little more structure added to this league.

These are some things that I am proposing:

1. Playoff series should be played all at once.

- A 7-game series could take you a 1h 15m which is not all that much time

- The effort of trying to set up 3 nights to play instead of one is a waste of time

- This eliminates the chance of what happened with Pill and I where our schedules never matched up after our first night of play

2. Regular season should have a cut off date

3. All playoff rounds should be scheduled with cut off dates before start of season

4. Implement a time table that will track how many games a coach should have played by a particular point in the season

- I developed a spreadsheet and if you want, I would have no problem helping out with that responsibility to track that schedule (I will post it on here soon)

- Coaches who have fallen too far behind will be replaced by a waiting list coach based on the agreed metrics of the spreadsheet

5. Verify that DNP penalty points will result in lower draft pick status (I think Donche's spreadsheet is great)

I'm sure there are other things I forgot but these a few issues that came to mind right away.

Please feel free to provide feedback and more importantly, other issues we should discuss before the start of next season.

I think it's obvious that we need to discuss some rules and policies before we start the GDL Season 3. Instead of waiting for D to bring this up, I think it's important for us to come to our own conclusion of the direction that we are looking to go.

Of course, this spearheaded approach is being led for a couple reasons:

1. These new rules will minimize confusion and arguments.

2. They will establish a much needed flow to the season and post-season.

3. They will provide everyone with a fair understanding of their expectations and obligations to this league.

I'm not looking to make any major changes. We have a great league with a great group of guys. Though, I think we would all agree that we need a little more structure added to this league.

These are some things that I am proposing:

1. Playoff series should be played all at once.

- A 7-game series could take you a 1h 15m which is not all that much time

- The effort of trying to set up 3 nights to play instead of one is a waste of time

- This eliminates the chance of what happened with Pill and I where our schedules never matched up after our first night of play

2. Regular season should have a cut off date

3. All playoff rounds should be scheduled with cut off dates before start of season

4. Implement a time table that will track how many games a coach should have played by a particular point in the season

- I developed a spreadsheet and if you want, I would have no problem helping out with that responsibility to track that schedule (I will post it on here soon)

- Coaches who have fallen too far behind will be replaced by a waiting list coach based on the agreed metrics of the spreadsheet

5. Verify that DNP penalty points will result in lower draft pick status (I think Donche's spreadsheet is great)

I'm sure there are other things I forgot but these a few issues that came to mind right away.

Please feel free to provide feedback and more importantly, other issues we should discuss before the start of next season.

Agree with all of these.

On point 3, my only suggestion is to set up a scheduling thread for each playoff series with the format that you and Pill eventually used. That way, if a series goes past deadline, all communication will be recorded so that we have a way to award the win to the owner who gave an effort in scheduling and move on with the playoffs.

While we're in a holding pattern right now before GDL3 gets off the ground, lets attack some of these rules that we want to see for the upcoming season. I'm surprised to see peeps not chiming in here.

Lets do it so we're not in the same position a couple months from now. Lates!

While we're in a holding pattern right now before GDL3 gets off the ground, lets attack some of these rules that we want to see for the upcoming season. I'm surprised to see peeps not chiming in here.

Lets do it so we're not in the same position a couple months from now. Lates!

A lot of these rules seem ready to implement. I think you did a great job coming up with these ideas EA, and I can't see how to add upon them. As long as they are strictly enforced, they will certainly improve the standard this league has set. Is there a time-table for start of the GDL 3 season? I am hoping for a staggered start after Evan's league gets running.

Does anyone know for sure that season 3 will even happen? Has anyone talked to Dmitry? Considering he hasnt had the time kick all your asses for not finishing up yet, who's to say that he has time to even setup season 3?

I'm still up in the air about returning to GDL, or doing the 20 gamer. If GDL isnt going to happen, that definately is going to make my choice a lot easier.

As far as recommendations for Season 3: All I can say is DEADLINES, DEADLINES, DEADLINES. Make em, and stick to em!

Does anyone know for sure that season 3 will even happen? Has anyone talked to Dmitry? Considering he hasnt had the time kick all your asses for not finishing up yet, who's to say that he has time to even setup season 3?

I'm still up in the air about returning to GDL, or doing the 20 gamer. If GDL isnt going to happen, that definately is going to make my choice a lot easier.

As far as recommendations for Season 3: All I can say is DEADLINES, DEADLINES, DEADLINES. Make em, and stick to em!

From Dmitry's last post (I think it was in the thread about uploading playoff games) he said that we would be doing a season 3, but he has been very busy lately and would set something up when he had more time.

i think the fact that the playoffs are going on 3 months now (started in june i believe), that is the main reason everything has come to a grinding halt.