NHL'94 Forums

Classic '94 - Fall 2008 - Thread Guide

metzgerism

The NHL94.com Fall 2008 Classic League is starting up, and you have been cordially invited to join!

Classic is this site's main league, using (practically) untouched NHL94 roms for both GENS and SNES. Each league will have around 30-40 games to play. Each league will probably start on Friday, September 26th.

You will need an AIM account (as well as the emulator and league rom) in order to play - please look over every thread below that pertains to you:

General Rules/Vote on Changes in GENS: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8437

GENS Signups: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8438

SNES Signups: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8439

GENS Test/Confirm: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8440

SNES Test/Confirm: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8441

Sounds A-ok to me metz, although I preferred the format where you played players within your own division four times and teams in the other conference less.

Yeah, I don't like semi-open registration. I'd be in favour of having a 'locked league' where you take the best non selected teams and balancing out conferences, so say there are 13 SNES players, you throw in 3 more teams to balance it out; however, you'd be forced to find players for these teams quickly. :\

Yeah, I don't like semi-open registration. I'd be in favour of having a 'locked league' where you take the best non selected teams and balancing out conferences, so say there are 13 SNES players, you throw in 3 more teams to balance it out; however, you'd be forced to find players for these teams quickly. :\

Hopefully we can tally up enough for a SNES B league though.. :P

Another good thing I liked about last fall league was the 20-game season leagues and the 40-game season leagues. Metz, any chance that there could be a 20-Game SNES league?
It's doubtful - there was no 20-game SNES season in Fall 07, just two 40-gamers. A was actually significantly smaller than B.

We'll have to see what the registration is - you'll notice my limit on players was 11-21 - this means a 20-40 game season at a home/away schedule. Last classic season was around 30 games apiece, so I'm working with the traditional size of a league being between 11 and 21...plus the five expansion teams in the classic ROM are significantly worse on paper - unless someone picks one of these teams on purpose, they do not have to be used.

Statto: I like your idea for creating a schedule and then filling out the coaches - but what if it ends up that one division has less players than the other two? That's one or two games that those teams are missing out on, and I've done byes for this kind of thing in the past - they're not great.

Statto: I like your idea for creating a schedule and then filling out the coaches - but what if it ends up that one division has less players than the other two? That's one or two games that those teams are missing out on, and I've done byes for this kind of thing in the past - they're not great.

Yea that's the problem. I'd only do it if it was an odd number of teams which also happened to be less than 20. Grab rosters. Pick the next best unpicked team skills wise - people dont mind who they are if their team is good, unless it's their archrival. Split in half east-west or-oo-north-south. First person on the waitlist goes straight off the waitlist as manager as that team, and that's the cap. If that spot doesn't get filled in 2 months, then whoever owns nhl94.com will have to seriously consider not paying for the domain in the upcoming years and that conf gets 2 auto wins :P and the other conf gets 1 auto win :( which cannot be used for tiebreaking purposes.

Have a plan in place. Start signups. Modify the plan only as needed, and only if you don't meet registration goals - or if you undershoot and say play for a 16 team league, then if you surpass registration goals.

Actually now that I think of it "filler" games wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

I had a league once that was 19 players - 3 divisions of 6-7 teams, and the top 6 teams (old NFL style) would advance to the bracket - ironically the most games were played in that largest division, and we had all the wild cards come out of it. But what we did is we gave a 1/2 point or whatever to the other divisions, based on the fact that they didn't fill numbers and didn't have one game that we did.

If the schedule was 4 in-division, 2 out-of-division, I would likely give an automatic two points to the teams in the lower divisions, for the two games that they did NOT play.

If the schedule was 4 in-division, 2 out-of-division, I would likely give an automatic two points to the teams in the lower divisions, for the two games that they did NOT play.

Too many games thar unless yeve got like 8 players

Yeah, which is why I'd really prefer a straight 2x vs. everyone schedule - 4 games in-division doesn't get to a reasonable number unless there are like 15 teams. Plus, we can add people early in the season, which I would really like.

I just NOSE'd and Statto'd the classic roms to fit my...specifications. Basically all I did was change the menu defaults to classic league settings in both GENS and SNES, and changed the GENS overtime to 5 minutes and GENS rink color to a shade lighter (the same as Cap League and SNES rink color).

I just NOSE'd and Statto'd the classic roms to fit my...specifications. Basically all I did was change the menu defaults to classic league settings in both GENS and SNES, and changed the GENS overtime to 5 minutes and GENS rink color to a shade lighter (the same as Cap League and SNES rink color).

But that's not Classic. That's metz-ed.

Keeping this one bumped, with an announcement.

Basically, we have to reach a threshold in order to have separate leagues, and it's looking more and more like we're going to have one SNES and two GENS (after all, we haven't had more than 20 SNES players in anything but Cap for at least two years).

21 players or less = 1 league

22 players of more = 2 leagues

SNES players should mobilize to try and get two leagues going. GENS players also need to do this (there are more of them out there to pick from, though).

after all, we haven't had more than 20 SNES players in anything but Cap for at least two years).

There were 28 players in SNES fall league last year.