NHL'94 Forums

Blitz DNP penalties

smozoma

Here's how it works...

(please post your thoughts below).

Each unplayed game loses the two players involved a total of 2 points, split between them in a ratio dependent on their number of unplayed games.

So looking at this for myself...

I have:

3 games left vs metzgerism

2 games left vs sonoffett87

DNP games:

5 - smozoma (39GP)

5 - metzgerism (39GP)

17 - sonoffett87 (27GP)

Metz and I have an equal number of DNPs (5), so we split the penalties for our DNPs evenly. -1 point each per game. -3 each total.

The ratio of DNP games for sonoffett87 and myself is 17:5. In terms of percents, that ratio is 77.27%:22.73%. So, for each game's 2 point penalty, that's 1.545:0.454 each game. Since we had 2 DNPs against each other, sonoffett87 gets a total penalty of -3.09 and i get a total penalty of -0.91

- The sum of my penalties for not playing metz and sonoffett is -3.91.

- Metz has no other DNPs, so his total penalty for the season is -3 points.

- sonoffett87 has a lot of other DNPs, so will end up with quite a few more penalty points in addition to the -3.09 against me... (however with so many games left to play, it should be relatively easy to play some of them and reduce that 77.27% ratio (increasing my 22.73%!))

-------------------

I think it takes two people to not play a game. There was lots of time to make arrangements to play hard-to-reach players. I know sometimes it's 99.99999999% the other guy's fault, but I don't want to have to evaluate every case. I think this method of DNPs is relatively fair.

Next season, I will have a forum section for scheduling games. People will have to use that to try to contact people they have trouble playing, and since everyone can see the posts there, it'll be clearer who is at fault and maybe some DNPs will be awarded as victories to one player.

-------------------

Making the playoffs is based on points, including DNP penalties. The top 8 teams in terms of points in each league make the playoffs (so 8 teams in "A" and 8 in "B").

There will need to be some discussion, however, on how seeding will work. It doesn't seem fair that a team in the top 4 in points might end up playing a team with a better Pts% than them in the first round. Maybe in these sort of cases, players for the teams with lots of DNPs will have attributes decreased in the playoff ROM?

Edited by smozoma

Home Ice advantage should mitigate some of your concerns. However, if you want to try and fix it, give the #1 seed a choice to play 6th, 7th, or 8th. The 4-5 matchup should remain the same though (you're trying to cut down on playing down between 2nd and 3rd or 6th and 7th).

looks fine but dnps should be losses period,i was done ALL my games except 5 a month ago no problem ,so up to now is a ton of time for any bum to complete their season ...so if you dont play, they are losses and if one guy says he tried ...oh well...too bad so sad....shoulda tried harder i guess.....cause HOKKEE finished all his gms with ease!<--(in every league)

So 8 out of 9 teams in 'A' league make the playoffs? That kind of takes all meaning of the regular season out of the equation. Including finishing your games.

I'll get mine done on time no doubt.

looks fine but dnps should be losses period,i was done ALL my games except 5 a month ago no problem ,so up to now is a ton of time for any bum to complete their season ...so if you dont play, they are losses and if one guy says he tried ...oh well...too bad so sad....shoulda tried harder i guess.....cause HOKKEE finished all his gms with ease!<--(in every league)

the idea presented is actually worse than a loss.. you lose points.

So 8 out of 9 teams in 'A' league make the playoffs? That kind of takes all meaning of the regular season out of the equation. Including finishing your games.

I'll get mine done on time no doubt.

I had hoped to eventually get 12 teams per league, so doing 8 playoff teams this season was more for consistency between seasons. That's also the reason you have 5 games vs some teams and 6 vs others.

Better regular season performance will still give you easier matchups through the playoffs, though...

But yeah, it's pretty hard to miss the playoffs due to DNPs..

Home Ice advantage should mitigate some of your concerns. However, if you want to try and fix it, give the #1 seed a choice to play 6th, 7th, or 8th. The 4-5 matchup should remain the same though (you're trying to cut down on playing down between 2nd and 3rd or 6th and 7th).

Hm, that's an intereting idea, letting the top 4 seeds pick who they want to play.

Hm, that's an intereting idea, letting the top 4 seeds pick who they want to play.

I'm against that concept.

What about a 1st round bye for top 2 seeds. The other 6 seeds play a round robin double elimination type series. The top 2 teams then face the top 2 seeds in the league semi's.

I was considering having people lose a point per DNP in Classic, but I'm not as convinced that would be a good idea as many of you are - a player that has earned a spot by points shouldn't really be discredited, I don't think.

Although, I've stopped thinking much - I effectively assessed this in Capitalism in two ways (-1 point per opponent and I don't care about unplayed games). I'm tired of the long-term leagues and want to develop Cup Chase to be a strong competition by the 1st of January.

I'm against that concept.

What about a 1st round bye for top 2 seeds. The other 6 seeds play a round robin double elimination type series. The top 2 teams then face the top 2 seeds in the league semi's.

Well in the case of a coach remplacement where a top coach takes the team of someone who was bad, the 8th seed could be one of the strongest teams, wouldn't be more fair to give a more significant meaning to the season? after all that's many more games than the actual playoffs

So i guess the problem is DNP penalties hurt people who didn't play, but also hurt people who did play. They work properly in that they make people with DNPs have to play better teams in the playoffs... but then their opponent has to play a harder team than they should, too, so it's unfair to them.

Maybe we should just use the above ratio system for deciding who gets into the playoffs (it looks like DNPs will be a factor in "B"), but use points for playoff seeding. However, let the top 4 seeds choose if they want 4 home games or 4 away games (since I find it hard to say if there is a home or away advantage.. but maybe some people do better going up or down).

DNPs will still hurt you in the draft, though.

Edited by smozoma

So i guess the problem is DNP penalties hurt people who didn't play, but also hurt people who did play. They work properly in that they make people with DNPs have to play better teams in the playoffs... but then their opponent has to play a harder team than they should, too, so it's unfair to them.

Maybe we should just use the above ratio system for deciding who gets into the playoffs (it looks like DNPs will be a factor in "B"), but use points for playoff seeding. However, let the top 4 seeds choose if they want 4 home games or 4 away games (since I find it hard to say if there is a home or away advantage.. but maybe some people do better going up or down).

DNPs will still hurt you in the draft, though.

Lol @ "hard to say if there's a home/away advantage."

Lol @ "hard to say if there's a home/away advantage."

In other leagues, I never noticed much difference, at least not in my record. I think I found a whole classic season to actually slightly favour away.

In "B", the home advantage just in terms of Wins vs Losses (OTW counted as a win, OTL as a loss), the win% for home teams is 56.8%

In "A", it's just 50.3%

This includes me setting the ROM to give the home team a big advantage..