NHL'94 Forums

[Mar 25, 2017 - Green Bay, WI] Edge of '94 WI II, Pucks Out For Harambe

2 hours ago, segathon said:

Have you tried the Hyperkin 6 Button controller?  I have read great reviews on it, then other review saying the d pad is bad and hard to move diagonal

I have a few of them.  They are fine for a backup solution.  They are fine for sports games, but not so great for games like Street Fighter 2.

We have more than enough house controllers that this won't be an issue.  This is more for anyone who might be wanting to bring their own controller, and may already have a Hyperkin at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, segathon said:

So the Hyperkin's are better than any of other new retro controllers but still not as good as the original sega hardware?

In my experience to this point, Hyperkin's solution is the only thing that wasn't a big pile of aids in the 3rd party space.  I'm certain there may be a viable option out there that I haven't gotten my hands on.

To be fair, Sega has some 6 button options out there that aren't very good, as there was more than one variety of controller.

Most of our controllers look like this one, and it's our favorite.   Image result for sega 6 button controller

• Like 2

Those old 6 butts are the best,  harder to find now in a controller Ebay lot.

i may have to test out hyperkins

thanks for info

Use coupon code CAG16 for 16% offand get them from Gamestop in bulk.  On occasion they will send an order containing some generics.  If you call and b***h about it, they will just resend the whole order and don't ask for the old ones back.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/sega-genesis-6-button-controller/122907

That is the MK-1653 6 button controller, my personal favorite as well.  That's what I use (and bring my own to tournies).  You can definitely find them on eBay normally for $15-$20, but if you have patience you can snag some for $10.  Assuming USA, I know it's harder to get this delivered to Canada.

Also helpful is this post from @jer_33, where you can buy replacement rubber pads.  Buy any used controller, open it up (5 screws), wipe the circuit board with an alcohol pad, replace the rubber contacts and that badboy will be good as new, will last another 20 years!

Updated link for replacement parts: https://www.mortoffgames.com/sega-genesis-1/repair-and-replacement-parts123/controller-repair-parts213

I've done this on about 4-5 controllers, recommended for sure.  It might feel a tad "tight" at first, but quickly breaks in nicely. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, King of 94' WI said:

Use coupon code CAG16 for 16% offand get them from Gamestop in bulk.  On occasion they will send an order containing some generics.  If you call and b***h about it, they will just resend the whole order and don't ask for the old ones back.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/sega-genesis-6-button-controller/122907

Thanks!  They are only limiting me to 2.  Must be a run on these guys.

Would love to go to tourney but using up all my kitchen passed for Tecmo

26 minutes ago, kingraph said:

That is the MK-1653 6 button controller, my personal favorite as well.  That's what I use (and bring my own to tournies).  You can definitely find them on eBay normally for $15-$20, but if you have patience you can snag some for $10.  Assuming USA, I know it's harder to get this delivered to Canada.

Also helpful is this post from @jer_33, where you can buy replacement rubber pads.  Buy any used controller, open it up (5 screws), wipe the circuit board with an alcohol pad, replace the rubber contacts and that badboy will be good as new, will last another 20 years!

Updated link for replacement parts: https://www.mortoffgames.com/sega-genesis-1/repair-and-replacement-parts123/controller-repair-parts213

I've done this on about 4-5 controllers, recommended for sure.  It might feel a tad "tight" at first, but quickly breaks in nicely. 

Thanks! much better deal than what I saw on Ebay.

Macs coming!  awesome.  wish I could make it.  But the wife would change the locks on the doors if I did 2 weekends of video game tourneys in a span of 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, segathon said:

Macs coming!  awesome.  wish I could make it.  But the wife would change the locks on the doors if I did 2 weekends of video game tourneys in a span of 3 weeks.

Let her know at best it will be another year before this happens again.  Baby is on the way in August.

Just a heads up, due to the short turn around of putting this tournament on, and the shop being very busy where we had Lord Manly's Cup originally created, we are not going to be able to get another one made in time for our tournament.

That being said, Angryjay left the current one in our care, and we will proudly display that.  The winner will have his/her picture taken with that same epic trophy hoisted in the air, along with all of cash prizes that go along with it.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 0:53 PM, King of 94' WI said:

Tim U, the 2nd place finisher from our first tournament has just signed up!  We are up to 13 commits, just a couple shy of last event, with many more on the fence.  Let's get those signups going!

Don't put him in the same group as GATS :)

• Like 1

We are currently sitting at 13 commits, with a number of folks in the wings.  While we work hard to find local talent to participate, this tournament is setup to be a destination tournament right in the heart of the Midwest, relatively easy to access from all corners of our continent.

I had hoped at this point we'd see a larger commitment base from the community at large here, as that's who the tournament was made for.  As of right now, the only NHL 94 community icon coming again is Angryjay93 all the way from California, and retro gaming savant Kevin Cabarello is also coming again.  Coach will not be attending.  There must be at least one person in the neighboring states, or Toronto that could make the trip, but I don't know who you all are yet.  If anyone knows someone that you think would be willing to get in the car/plane and make it out, we'd love to have them.

We will have a number of new faces at this tournament getting exposed to what NHL94 is all about, or to get re-introduced.

Regardless of the final number, we are going to have an amazing time, with great food and friends!

Game on!

• Like 1

Is there a stream so I can live vicariously through you guy on Saturday??   Good Luck on the Tourny.

Hope there's not a fight that get's broken up by so guy air humping the other dude....

Here is the bracket.

http://challonge.com/pucksout4harambe

Here are the results of group play.  Nick W elected to focus on helping with admin duties, and getting the broadcast ready for us.  Alex elected to forfeit the last few of his games and not participate in the bracket.  He had a rough outing.

No automatic alt text available.

• halifax unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • kingraph changed the title to [Mar 25, 2017 - Green Bay, WI] Edge of '94 WI II, Pucks Out For Harambe