SEGATHON - GENS (with NHL 95 *ducks as trash is thrown my direction*)
1. Name, age, occupation, location?
Nick AKA the Commish, I sell mats, Twin Cities, MN.
2. What hobbies or other interests do you have?
Taking care of my kiddos, Curling, hunting, and poultry….Have a Pigeon FB site I put up one day when I was bored and now have like 5,000 followers.
3. When did you get introduced to the game NHL'94? How did it happen?
Grade school Bday sleepover, played it all night and felt like the players were melting on the screen from sleep deprivation. May of been the OG NHL Sega version.
4. When did you get introduced to nhl94.com and the online community? Were you playing between these two dates? (That is, between first becoming aware of game, and first becoming aware of nhl94.com.)
Internet search on Altavista, not Google, Maybe I askedjeeves? When I started using the Internet for more than just logging into my Hotmail account and found this glorious site.
5. What are a couple things that you love about the game?
Breaking out the game with old friends puts people into a kid like mindset, you don’t talk about paying mortgages, you talk about how the computer is screwing you on penalties. A simpler time
6. Are you a gamer in general? What other games do you play?
Having 3 kids put a damper on may gaming. Still love retro sports games like Tecmo, NBA JAM, Ps2 Madden. Will get my arse kicked on Fortnite mobile when I’m on the can.
7. Do you follow hockey in real life? Any other sports?
The North Stars left town when I was a kid so College Hockey was extra big to me, Many schools in MN area. Did a Fantasy College Hockey league where we manually kept stats for a while. Love watching all sports.
8. If you have been to a live tourney, what was it like meeting the real people behind the screen names? Any big surprises?
NHL 94 tourney is still on my bucket list but have been to a bunch of Segathons and Tecmo events. Always great to meet people in person. Jerr said it best above, Big Personalities, humble guys.
9. What is behind your screen name? (Origin story, if there is one.)
Segathon is our yearly NHL 95 Tourney. We always held little tourneys but with the advent of Digital Cameras and the easily posted primitive internet webpages in the early 2000s I askedjeaves and found "theunholygrail.com" which was the exact same thing as our segathons, A NHL 95 tourney with friends. Started documenting it and the rest is history. Probably the only time one a year I can get a bunch of my closest friends in the same room for a night. Another great thing is people find the site from all over and say they do the exact same thing.
10. Favorite NHL94 player in game (and why)?
Theo Fleury the little big man. He was small and I was small in grade school, plus the chroma red Flames looks so good in 16 bit.