OHPL Champions Tournament Rules and Regulations:
Preamble: congrats to 14 of the 16 winners who will compete in the finals @angryjay93, @corbettkb, SOH (aka @CamKneely2), @danTML7, @dcicon5148, @sonoffett87, @Scribe99, @Thrillhouse, @kingraph, @Tickenest, @Mitch Kramer, @hokkeefan, @JSchmidt, @Sebe_The_Legend, and two from our dedicated play-in group of @szpakattack, @chaos, @Mr. T, and @kazelegend. Hopefully this post should answer all your questions and more! Please do not let the act of putting concrete rules in place imply there was a problem *before* as it's been a pretty damn drama-free 16 tourney period of time. This is about making sure there's no confusion or problems once all the chips are down and money/jerseys are on the line.
1) How will seeding be determined? A: A committee has been established between the top 2 seeds (angryjay93 and kingraph), tickenest (data master), and myself (administrator and savage exhibitionist). We each submitted our list and rankings will be averaged out, combined with tickenest’s ELO data and matchups will be set like that. Each round will be re-seeded so highest remaining seed plays lowest remaining seed.
2) How will teams be determined? A: Though previous OHPLs were not quite “50/50” as were originally intended, every effort will be made to ensure that for a higher seed to win, it should be so difficult that there’s a great chance they could also lose. Expect to see some round 1 upsets this time. Because of this, teams will be changed every round instead of sticking with the same team throughout entire tournament. For every matchup, a small subcommittee will be formed. It will be comprised of myself, and 3 others who have the most experience playing or watching the two players in the matchup. Lots of discussion will occur about what’s the most fair matchup possible that will also be entertaining for the audience.
3) How will prizes be awarded? A: Winner of A division receives $100USD + first choice of jersey. Loser of A league receives second choice of jersey. Winner of B division receives $50 USD + third choice of jersey. Loser of B division receives fourth choice of jersey. All other names will be placed in a draw and winner of the random draw will receive $50 USD or last remaining jersey. Available jerseys are: Adult L Rangers (blue) w/23 Beukaboom, Adult XL (black) team Canada w/15 Getzlaf, Adult XL (blue) Leafs w/93 Gilmour, Adult L (white) Capitals w/22 Konawalchuk, adult L (black) Canucks w/96 Bure, and adult L (blue) Sabres w/89 Mogilny.
4) How will the series be broadcast? A: There will be a maximum of one (1) series played per night. Every series is to be streamed mandatorily. If, due to lag, this cannot happen, it must be recorded and kept quiet until it’s broadcast. Ideally there’s a few days between each series to allow for hype and betting lines to be set. Ideally all series are so properly handicapped that each series will be -120 for each player. Please follow me on twitch to get notified when we go live, and check discord for updates. http://www.twitch.tv/dantml
5) What if we’re pissed off about our matchup? As soon as you get your matchup, if you feel it is too unfair in one direction (easy or hard), please feel free to reach out to me directly. You can request a formal review and another different panel will be convened. If the series is done and you’re mad that you lost, please remember that when handicapping series, mistakes can sometimes be made. The committees will all be doing their best to handicap things properly to give both people a 50/50 chance of winning. In the end, someone has to lose. Please say gg and move on with no negativity. If you’re thinking of saying something toxic, just take 24 hour timeout, or say it to me privately. Let’s keep this publicly positive and congratulate those who win. Anyone being publicly negative towards the group in any way will lose their chance at prizes. The players in this tourney have ALL won rounds against some of the best players in the world to achieve their titles, so it will be difficult.
6) What if we can’t get a solid connection? Presuming everyone is hardwired and has disabled their wifi temporarily so the wifi doesn’t steal the connection, then DO NOT PLAY THROUGH THE LAG. This will only lead to a scenario where the winner can’t be proud and the loser will be salty. Try a few different third party hosts, try to close programs, restart computer, restart router, check for Windows Updates, and virus programs, but if nothing works… Try another day. Looking through the list, everyone should be hard-wired with stable connections.
7) What do we need to know about “time wasting” when you have a lead? A: There’s been lots of discussion lately about “time killing”, typically later in a game when someone is up 1-2 goals. If you want a GOOD example of how to kill time when you have a lead, watch the last 2 mins of this game: https://youtu.be/OT5oi58NaeU?t=4677. Acceptable actions are dumping it down the ice whenever you get it, or driving deep into your opponent’s zone and grinding in corners or behind net. Unacceptable actions are barely entering the blue line and then circling allllllll the way back to your end, and/or holding it behind your own net and circling your own net. Borderline (but acceptable) is holding the puck between red line and opponent’s blue line. If your opponent does this, you must simply attack them, especially if you are down a goal late. It’s not their job to bring the pressure to you, you must bring it to them. As long as they are not abusing the clock by circling back to their end constantly, it is legal. If it’s deemed that a player is going against these rules in a manner that is not befitting the spirit of the league (fun, friends, and parity/equality), they will be penalized with a goal against in the subsequent game. If it’s already game 7 or a clinching game, then literally ANYTHING goes. There is money and prizes on the line, so please realize everyone will be taking this pretty seriously. We do not want animosity after the fact though, so be very prepared to lose in any ugly fashion, and be very prepared to let that s**t go after you lose.
8) What other etiquette does this tourney follow? A:
FORCED: only one attempt at a penalty shot. If you lose possession but clock keeps running, do not try to score again. Pull goalie only in your own zone or neutral zone, NOT in offensive zone. Frustration pauses, legal. Pausing after goal to flick up/down to say “nice goal”, legal. Pausing when you have the puck for some sort of family emergency or computer problem, legal. Pausing when your opponent has the puck, never. Confirm via discord that they are ready for an un-pause, and do not immediately attack, circle back to your zone before continuing. Instant replays of goals, encouraged. Instant replays of other amazing things, only if the play lulls to allow it. Since it’s recorded on Twitch, you don’t need to replay as you can always go watch it later. Timeouts, legal but useless lol. Line changes, anytime during stoppage, but try not to be excessive. Checking after whistle, legal. Goalie lock, do not score. Give the puck to your opponent who will give it back to you, or flip it out of play if you know how. Only exception is with under 1 min left in a game, then it’s all fair to score on goalie lock because changing possession would take too long and could kill rest of clock.
SUGGESTED: say GL before each game and GG after each game or at least before and after the series. If the puck goes in after the whistle on a delayed penalty shot, it’s a goal. It’s not fair to give the guy a goal back, because then he’s lost the penalty shot chance. My opinion, goalies always block the net, and players try to remember not to shoot at net when you know you have a penalty shot. If you check a player after the whistle who got the “beep” and he gets a penalty shot, I suggest you just press A and dump the puck. Players can discuss and agree upon these before playing if they wish. Highly unlikely scenarios.
9) How can I support this event to make it as great as possible? A: Tune into the live stream. Share the stream on your facebook, Twitter, invite your friends. Subscribe! If anyone you know has an Amazon Prime account, tell them to register on Twitch, connect it, and sub to me. It costs them NOTHING but 5 minutes of their time, and gives $5 USD to me which I use to fund this tourney. Engage in the discourse on the discord page, put thought into matchups if you are in the committee, place a small wager for fun, chat on the stream, host or raid my channel if you are also a streamer. And be nice if/when you lose.