NHL'94 Forums

Recommended teams for SNES play

I was wondering and tinkering for a while now with some of the teams on the SNES version and so I ask if there are some teams that you would recommend using for players and if they should try to change a player or two when using a roster. I know that some guys go for the heavier teams (Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston and perhaps Edmonton) since they don't suffer through the weight nerf that affected them, but what about the faster teams (Dallas, Vancouver, Winnipeg) or the all-rounders (Detroit, Calgary, New York [both teams,perhaps])? I know there aren't many who use the lesser teams, so I must know if there are teams you guys can recommend me and other players to use.

I'm just following up with experiments as to future Classic League play in order to have a better experience of the game (And more wins!)

The lesser teams have been a constant when it comes to winning championships.

Take a look at all the SNES classic championship teams.

Montreal is a good team. I switch out damphouse for Denis Savard.

With Winnipeg, I tend to put Selanne at center. I also sometimes rotate housley's defensive position and put in olaufsson instead of numineen. ( I dunno correct spelling of their names) olaufsson is better offensively.

It really depends on what kind of game you like to play.

I like putting fast guys at centre (bondra, selanne, mogilny, bure).....some guys like using teams that and have a centre with shot power and accuracy for one timers (hull, lemieux)

My suggestion is to wait for the next classic league and see what team you get. I'll recommend a line combination that I would use and then you can try it out and see if it works for ya.

It really depends on what kind of game you like to play.

I like putting fast guys at centre (bondra, selanne, mogilny, bure).....some guys like using teams that and have a centre with shot power and accuracy for one timers (hull, lemieux)

My suggestion is to wait for the next classic league and see what team you get. I'll recommend a line combination that I would use and then you can try it out and see if it works for ya.

You could do something like AJ has done for the Genesis version too, you know. :rolleyes:

I like playing with teams that have a good all-around center who can play two ways. Ones that can put the puck in the net, but also come back hard on D and make some hits. Yzerman, Roenick, Lemieux, Messier, Oates come to mind. Coincidentally, Detroit, Chicago, Pitt, NYR and Boston are some of my favourite teams. I don't like to mess with the starting line-up much, so I wouldn't know what bench guys are good to sub in. Although I do like to put in Stastny in NJ since I'm a fan of his.

It would be great if someone did a "building lines with AJ" type thing for SNES. I don't think I have enough knowledge of the bench guys to do it. I would just suggest the starting line-up for most teams.

My lineup selection is always based on speed. I rely on speed and "dangleability" to get my scorers to the net and then make my move on the goalie for the score. Like BobKudelski, I usually don't change the lineups much except a couple little switches (Ruutu for Goulet in Chicago, Put Hull in the middle in St. Louis, Lidstrom for Chiasson in Detroit). My key to victory is the ability to evade checks, because once I'm in all alone, it doesn't matter if I have Roenick, Selanne, or Randy Ladoucer, the ability to finish comes naturally to me with any player in the game. It's the getting there with that last second dangle to miss the check from a defender thats the tricky part, and ultimately determines the quality of the scoring opportunity.

I need a break from work, so I'm going to comment on Dangler's suggestions and write about some switches I've tried...

DET:

Chiasson --> Lidstrom

I tried that switch many times, but in the end, I decided that I like Chiasson better. I think Chiasson gots a bit more "jam". Lidstrom seems a bit week, and doesn't seem any faster than Chiasson.

CHI:

Goulet --> Ruutu

I agree with the Ruutu for Goulet switch which seems to be pretty common. Goulet is quite crappy.

STL:

Hull to center

It is quite fun to have a big shooter at center and focus on teeing up the one-timers for him.

NJD:

Richer to center

Semak --> Stastny

I like to put Stephane Richer at center with Stastny on the left and Lemieux on the right. Richer is a big body with a huge slapper, hell of a figure skater too. NJ is actually my new favourite darkhorse / under-rated team. Stevens - Fetisov is a quality defensive paring. Both can hit and have decent skating.

TOR:

Andreychuck --> Clark

Who wouldn't want Wendy Clark on Killer's wing? - firing slappers and crunching defensemen

At best...some one can put a reply in his threads with a SNES version of what he says.

Smoz did a couple of weight fix ones...which is basically snes I guess...?

Ya, I guess the weight bug fix would be similar to SNES, but let's be honest here, the SNES game is a lot different than the Sega game. :rolleyes: so maybe there would be some differences in preferences. I agree it would be really cool if someone were to add a SNES perspective to AJ's threads. I would be interested in hearing other people's ideas for lines.

At the end of the classic season I changed light and speedy Svoboda for heavy slow Smehlik in Buffalo and it worked perfect for me. Svoboda probably has the worst shot accuracy in the game (25 I think). Smehlik is a good checker and I scored more goals with his bulldozer style in the last 5 games of the season then the whole season with Svoboda.

I like using both heavy slower teams and light ones. I'm trying to figure out my seeding for the next classic league but it's kind of hard.

I also prefer to put the best forward in the team as center. Mogilny in BUF, Hull in STL. I think STL is one of the most underrated teams in this game. They have great shooters in Hull and Brown (power) and Shanahans 90+ accuracy. And for speed I add Emerson instead of Janney. This team is good for my style and it should be no problem to stop that a**hole Lindros in Flyers :rolleyes:

I like having one heavy defender and one fast, Detroit is perfect for that and the attackers Ciccarelli-Yzerman-Fedorov is almost perfect if you're going for a fast and skilled team. Both Yzerman and Ciccarelli are good shooters. Only the goalie suck.

The Andreychuk for Clark switch reminded me of another switch I always make with Vancouver. I always take Cliff Ronning out and put Trevor Linden in at Centre. You just can't leave that legend on the bench! Also I think he's a lot tougher and more durable than Ronning.

• 2 weeks later...

Linden and Otto and Murphy are key subs. Patrick and Lowe and Lidstrom are usual. substitutions are important.