NHL'94 Forums

how do standings work PTS PTSTS% SOSOS% WTFGA

HABS

So I heard rumours that power rating is now the way to determine standings wtf?

whats the point of having points?

pts% is only useful mid season because it equalizes teams with tons of games and few games to easily show what they are basically on pace for.

Points should be the deciding factor in where you end up in standings. Isnt that what we play for? wtgaa

Making the playoffs is based on the number of points accumulated throughout the season, minus DNP penalties.

Seeding, however, is based on Points Percentage (points divided by games played. no DNP penalties involved). The reason seeding is based on Pts% is that if I were to reduce someone's seeding based on DNPs, then their opponent would have to face a tougher opponent than they should have to

I'm changing it:

Seeding, however, is based on Points Percentage (points divided by games played. no DNP penalties involved) Power Rating. The reason seeding is based on Pts% Power Rating is that if I were to reduce someone's seeding based on DNPs, then their opponent would have to face a tougher opponent than they should have to

The reason I want to use Power Rating is because with lots of DNPs, the standings can be skewed based on who you have and haven't played.

For example, currently ANH and MTL are tied in the standings, but based on Power Rating, ANH beats MTL because MTL has a couple unplayed games vs PHI and one vs T.B, and the power ratings formula says that makes his schedule easier than ANH's. But if everyone plays all their games, the power ratings seeding matches the Pts% seeding, anyway.

ooo i get it, but what if I go 5-0 to start the season and never play again

wont i get top seed lol

no u wouldn't make playoffs bc making playoffs is based of points

Right, there are 2 stages.

1. You make the playoffs based on Pts - DNPs

2. You are seeded based on Power Rating