NHL'94 Forums

Defending tricks

Hey,

Can someone post a tutorial about the defending tricks, because I think I miss something, and I'm tired to see always and always forwards slice through my defense... :glare:

What can we do exactly with the A, B, and C button, and what is the timing ?

Tell me about it. I can get full on hits on guys that do nothin even if weight is in my favour, then my guys will go down like they've been shot at the other end with the slightest touch!

Have you been using the B check? Pressing B when the opponent player is right next to your selected player makes him trip the other player, and it's an automatic take-down if timed/aimed properly. It's kind of cheap, really :P Rarely causes a penalty.

If the player is a bit farther away, you can also use the B button to do a pokecheck, and if you're reeeeaaallly good at it, you can hit the puck and steal it. Very tough, though.

One thing I do is just.. get in the way. Sometimes the puck will hit your skate or stick and he'll lose it.

A few people use the A button a lot to hold the opponent, but I think you get more penalties this way.. maybe not, though! It's really annoying, though. I wouldn't play against a guy who holds a lot for fun.

you don't hold and hook and trip for fun, per se... well, I use these moves to help me win.

ha! no, actually, I don't. I do hook other people, though. all y'all who tease me about how I must only play the computer because I don't play onlag seem to forget the SNES allows me to play against one, two, three or four other actual human friends -- real life friends. good one, though.

Edited by trudatman

I wouldn't play against a guy who holds a lot for fun.

What I meant was:

I wouldn't play for fun against a guy who holds a lot (because it decreases the fun)

Couple of other thoughts -- check out some videos of good players, "A" guys like Carse, Frey, swos, Zalex, HABS, IceStorm, etc. on youtube and watch the defense. Remember, don't watch the puck, but rather what the player without the puck is doing on defense. It's easy to get caught up watching the game itself, but watching the defense will serve you better.

Also, I think some guys may vary their defensive strategy based on how their opponent plays offense. As Halifax says, anticipating your opponents move is key. For example, if your opponent constantly goes to the corner to look for the one-timer to the center, you don't have to chase him to the corner. Blocking the passing lane or checking the center before he get the pass is probably more effective.

Does your opponent pass a lot? Sit tight and clog the middle with a winger. Don't chase. You'd be surprised how effective simply waiting can be.

Knowledge of your opponents players is key. Is he starting his drive with Glen Featherstone (heavy defensemen with poor offensive skills)? Then assume he will pass to someone with a better shot, or one-timer. Coming in with Teemu Selanne? Be much more wary.

Following up on that -- be CAREFUL if you're going to drive into the offensive zone with one of your defensemen. This is a guaranteed way to let up a breakaway or odd-man rush if your attack fails.

Good luck, I hope some of that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Tell me about it. I can get full on hits on guys that do nothin even if weight is in my favour, then my guys will go down like they've been shot at the other end with the slightest touch!

I think I find where is the problem... The timing and the angle of the check is all... and the position of your cross, of course, to hit the puck...

I didn't realize at the first time how the timing is important in this game...

Just one mistake, and you pay it cash ! :)

Couple of other thoughts -- check out some videos of good players, "A" guys like Carse, Frey, swos, Zalex, HABS, IceStorm, etc. on youtube and watch the defense. Remember, don't watch the puck, but rather what the player without the puck is doing on defense. It's easy to get caught up watching the game itself, but watching the defense will serve you better.

Also, I think some guys may vary their defensive strategy based on how their opponent plays offense. As Halifax says, anticipating your opponents move is key. For example, if your opponent constantly goes to the corner to look for the one-timer to the center, you don't have to chase him to the corner. Blocking the passing lane or checking the center before he get the pass is probably more effective.

Does your opponent pass a lot? Sit tight and clog the middle with a winger. Don't chase. You'd be surprised how effective simply waiting can be.

Knowledge of your opponents players is key. Is he starting his drive with Glen Featherstone (heavy defensemen with poor offensive skills)? Then assume he will pass to someone with a better shot, or one-timer. Coming in with Teemu Selanne? Be much more wary.

Following up on that -- be CAREFUL if you're going to drive into the offensive zone with one of your defensemen. This is a guaranteed way to let up a breakaway or odd-man rush if your attack fails.

Good luck, I hope some of that helps.

Very interesting...

I will study that closer...