NHL'94 Forums

REAL hockey rules league

There are enough blowout games that people can't wait to finish with 5 minute periods. It would be real hard to find enough people who wanted to play 10 minute periods, 20 I'd think would be pretty much impossible

There is a league going on right now with offsides and line changes, but just 5 minute periods. Sadly though, no one plays their games.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14981-gens-2012-league-teams-divisions/#entry124375

real would use manual line changing so there is fatigue.

I'm in! I think a 20 game season would be good, everybody plays each other 2x. Blackdevil and I play with these rules all the time, the games are always a blast.

I love playing with offsides/line changes, it adds a whole new element of strategy to the games, even though the computer AI is pretty bad with staying onside. I find that the dump n' chase strategy is a good one for getting into the zone without having your cpu teammates f you over constantly.

Hey marchawg, if we got this league going could we use seahag to upload the games? Maybe make a "league" section of the site?

Is there a seahag-type service that tracks player stats, like the classic site here? I think that's the coolest part of the classic league, seeing how your individual players are doing.

I wouldn't be able to do one hour of SNES hockey (my thumbs would fall off!), but I DO have another suggestion. It's a bit of an honour system, but here's how my buddy and I would play back in the day: auto line changes, offsides on, penalties on, manual goalies.

But the big clincher was no speed bursts (and we also weren't aware of the "use the hook button to get up after a hit" trick). It forces you to be a lot more careful on defense, and 2-in-1's become a much bigger deal (you could only hit speed burst/check if you had a legitimate chance at hitting the other player). It made for some tight games that were a lot of fun.

I could probably set up a league section easily enough. I think a bunch of other sites are doing the individual player tracking. It's not particularly hard, just tiresome ;) and for what I wanted sea-hag to do (track user averages), it didn't really fit in.

At some point, I want to just open source all of sea-hag. I need to get some stuff cleaned up before I do that. Right now it has some wonky bits from being a bit .. stream-of-thought and done over a weekend originally. In that case, anyone would be able to take this code and dump it on their server.