NHL'94 Forums

Anybody else overwhelmed at drafting?

Yeah it's hard to keep up with and it's pretty ridiculous when the final results kick in.. Teams will be heavily imbalanced and you will feel discouraged sooner or later.

If you really want to keep the bidding, do an AUCTION draft :)

The same idea.. but it's not hard to keep up with at all and it will prevent coaches like BlackDevil from ending up with the worst teams in history.

the 3 overwhelming things in this

-was no limit to the number of bids,

-the cap is lazy, and doesnt take into account bids, and having a look at your previous bids is hard work...

-anyone was allowed to be bid on.

the bids run out of control and everyone is left with imbalanced teams...

If we were to make it less underwhelming... we would

A)- limit how many people you can bid on at one time... (in my opinion 6-4-2 (or however many spots you have...)

B) have something so that we know what our current bids are... (a bit of programming work???)

c)- limit who we are allowed to bid on... , open out various waves of forwards/defence/goalies (starting with the most highest rated players (or as plabax suggested? (maybe every day, someones allowed to add one player to the bidding...)))

maybe use these ideas for next season???

There is supposed to be a NOMINATION ORDER when you have leagues that involve bidding. Everyone needs to look at the same player in these kind of leagues or else it won't work out. You are supposed to nominate a player that goes up for bidding so all players can be on the same page. Best you just start rebidding. Much easier.

plabax... you are god, and by your rule shall all things be done, (am I right???)

Pros-

Order, structure, no (anarchic) craziness

cons-

-take more time to start games... (at this rate games will start at christmas or new years... :/)

-we have people from europe AND australia, how exactly do you plan to "implement" this order

(what else is there...)

I would need to know how exactly you plan on tackling this in order for it to be "practical"

live auctions are done this way for fantasy baseball & such things.

The problem here is this is not "live" with everyone bidding on one player at a time.

IT would take 2 months to do one player at a time for 17 teams.

Maybe more.

It's not my idea.. It's a common type of a DRAFT and it's how anybody with common knowledge runs a league with bidding. The order just determines the order of picking, it is usually random because the pick order is not a huge factor. It would not be hard to implement, it's like a draft schedule for SDL.

This however, would take much longer as these are obviously done best when all coaches are online. Your best bet is to lower the amount of time it takes to win a bid but then there are people in Australia so who knows. If you can't do a live draft then you won't have a good bidding system, end of story.

Best bet is doing a snake fantasy draft with set salaries.

Edited by PlabaxV2

I have to agree to Plabax... This is why my Fantasy Football Draft is not auction. Auction is the fairest system, but the biggest pain the rear to pull off... I like the salary draft idea but who is going to do all the work in coming up with values. I guess I could create a spreadsheet and link all the players and do a calc to figure out their salaries....

Some of these issues could be alleviated by having a blind auction. Have the same time limit, but let people give their MAXIMUM bid once (and hidden) for a given player. You'd still have to do them in clusters (maybe 5-10 players at a time), but it would go faster and give people a better opportunity to plan out their salary structure beforehand for the players they want. Right now it's a bit too much for me. I don't have time to keep up with the draft like it is.