Sign in to follow this  
aqualizard

RetroArch Tips and Troubleshooting

"Tips and Troubleshooting" Cheat Sheet

These are some issues and some fixes for RetroArch.  The fixes and more details are in the messages below.

TROUBLESHOOTING

1. No Audio Issue  fixed 
  2. Win10 Jumpy Video  fixed 
  3. SNES "Multitap" Netplay Issue  fixed 
  4. Mac Fullscreen/Hotkey Issues  workaround 
  5. "Slow Motion" Video  fixed 
  6. "Black Flicker" Issue  unresolved 

Please share your short tips and tweaks in the thread below!   We want to cover as many situations as possible, and build this Cheat Sheet.

TIPS

A. Use Direct Connection (instead of Relay) if Possible
B. Hot Swapping Home and Away with "i" Keyboard Shortcut
C. Hotkeys (Keyboard Shortcuts)

Edited by aqualizard
  • Thanks 1

Issue 1: No Audio while ROM is playing

If you are playing a ROM and can't hear anything, try this:

MAIN MENU >  SETTINGS > DRIVER

Change the "Audio Driver" to "dsound", restart RetroArch, and try it again. This fixes the issue for most.  

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 2: Jumpy Video in Win10

(from Chaos and Viz on Discord)

MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > DRIVER
Change the "Video Driver" from "gl" to "d3d11".

Also go to:
MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO
and turn on "Hard GPU Sync".

This should get rid of the choppiness. Windows 10 screwed up their GL video driver with a recent update
Most noticable thing is when you go into MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO, look at your "Estimated Screen Framerate". It should closely match the refresh rate of your monitor (most likely ~60Hz, unless you have a fancy monitor).
To check your monitor refresh rate (don't change it) - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-monitor-refresh-rate-windows-10

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 3: SNES "Multitap" Message During Netplay

In Netplay, after connecting, you get an in-game screen message "Multitap 5 needs to be connected to Player # 2" - For some reason, RetroArch thinks there's a multi-tap connected to Player 1.

To fix go to:
QUICK MENU > CONTROLS
and change the Player 1 to "SNES Joypad".

One or both players may need to do this. Return to the game and it should work fine.

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 4: On Mac in Fullscreen Mode, Hot Keys Not Responsive

On Windows, you can use the "F" hotkey to toggle in and out of fullscreen.  Does not appear to work for everyone on a Mac.

However, to scale your window you can use:
MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO
and use the "Windowed Scale" settings to change the size of the screen.

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 5: Slo-Mo Video 

(from Buc on Discord)

and turn on "Threaded Video". (See message below from Chaos)

With Threaded Video set to Off,  Buc said "it looked like it was going into slow motion half the game even when I was just playing the computer."

Buc uses Win10.

Edited by aqualizard

On 12/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, aqualizard said:

Issue 5: Slo-Mo Video 

(from Buc on Discord)

and turn on "Threaded Video".

With Threaded Video set to Off,  Buc said "it looked like it was going into slow motion half the game even when I was just playing the computer."

Buc uses Win10.

I would recommend not using "Threaded Video". This should be a last resort. Win 10 has messed up OpenGL drivers for some video cards, so if you have a problem, change your Video Driver to "d3d11" in Settings-Driver. This may fix it. Also, follow the instructions here:

Perfect Audio/Video Sync

Issue 6: Black Flicker

Fix: None Yet

Description: A black flicker -- where for a brief moment the entire RA screen is black -- happens at regular intervals.  Intervals can be only a couple seconds apart (making game unplayable) or every minute or so.  We think it has to do with the refresh rate getting out of sync.  We also think it happens more for the person connecting than the one hosting, or possibly only on the connecting side.

More to come as we investigate....

In the mean time, possible play with the VSync, Refresh Rate, etc. under MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO
Also, it may help for the user experiencing the flicker to host. (Which requires that they use "Direct" connection, and "i" hotkey to be visitor.)

Tip A: Use Direct Connection (instead of Relay) if Possible

Direct is better than Relay.  Ideally at least one player has a Direct Connection.  They should be host, and you can use the "i" shortcut (see below) to swap home and away as needed.

There is a writeup for creating a Direct Connection here: RetroArch Setup Guide (it is at start, in sections 1 & 2)

Edited by aqualizard

Tip B: Hot Swapping Home and Away with "i" Keyboard Shortcut

One great thing about RetroArch is you can "hot swap" home and away.  As long as the guy hosting is using Direct Connection.  You can even do it mid-game or whenevs.  This is super handy.

To start, let's say both guys are connected.  The host  will be home, since he connected first.  If you need to change that, do this:

1. the host hits "i" to leave (right from ROM menu or wherever, it will not reset anything)
2. the other guys hits "i" to leave, then "i" again to reconnect (he will be home now, because he is "first" to connect)
3. the original host now hits "i" to re-connect, but because he is 2nd to connect now, he will be visitor

Tada!!

Ideally, at least one guy will have Direct Connection ability.  That person should host. (If both are Direct capable, it doesn't matter who hosts.)

Edited by aqualizard

Tip C: Hotkeys (Keyboard Shortcuts)

f - fullscreen
i - hot swap home and away
F5 - save state
F6 - decrease save state slot
F7 - increase save state slot
F4 - load save state
ESC - hard exit

More to come...

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 7: RetroArch crashes on startup (version 1.7.5). On startup, RetroArch reverts to "GDI" driver (version 1.7.6+)

The problem is the following: You downloaded the RetroArch package from nhl94online.com's Downloads section on the front page. You extract the folder to wherever you please (i.e. Desktop). When you go to start RetroArch, it crashes immediately (RetroArch version 1.7.5). From RetroArch version 1.7.6, they implemented a fallback, which is the GDI driver, so RetroArch won't crash anymore. The GDI driver is not good to use, and should be a last resort.

This is an issue on older laptops running Windows 10. It happens with laptops that have Intel Graphics cards (which are most, if not all, non-gaming laptops).

The problem has to do with Intel not allowing its GL driver to run on Windows 10. They do this to force people to buy new laptops if they want to do gaming. It is most common with laptops that previously had Windows Vista, Window 7 or Windows 8 installed, and were upgraded to Windows 10.

The thing is, the GL drivers run fine on Windows 10. Your graphics card should work no problem with it.

The GDI driver is Windows software version of a GL driver. It's absolute crap. But, it works for everyone, since it is software implemented, so it is a good fallback. The problem is, it will cause issues. Video will be choppy, you won't see any messages on the screen saying you are connected via netplay, etc.

The GL driver is the best driver to use with RetroArch. I know I've had some people switch to use D3D11 to originally fix the problem with it crashing, but this fix may work for you (if you are on a laptop with Intel Graphics drivers).

The fix - Run a program that removes the checks for Intel Graphics drivers on Windows 10. It patches the RetroArch program to allow it to use the GL driver for Intel Graphics. 

To tell what type of video card you have: 

1. Click on the Start Menu (Windows logo in bottom left corner of desktop)
  2. Once the menu is open, type "Run" (no quotes). Hit Enter.
  3. In the Run window, type "dxdiag" (no quotes). Click OK.
  4. The Direct X Diagnostics Window will open. 
  5. win10gpu3.jpg
  6. Click the Display Tab, then click Next Page.
  7. win10gpu4.jpg
  8. If the Device Name has something with Intel (ex. Intel HD Graphics Family), this fix down below is for you!

To tell what video driver RetroArch is using:

Start RetroArch, go to Information -> System Information. Near the middle or bottom of the screen you should see something called "video context driver":

GDI.PNG

If you don't see it, scroll down until you see it. In the above photo, it says "gdi", which is no good. If using the GL driver, it will say "wgl".

The GL Driver Fix (This will work if you have an Intel Graphics card):

1. Download the WTFI program - wtfi.exe
  2. Make sure RetroArch is not open.
  3. Run the program. It will open a window asking you to choose a file.
  4. Navigate in the window to your RetroArch-32 folder. Double-click the retroarch.exe file.
  5. It will do its magic. Once done, open RetroArch.
  6. In RetroArch, go to Settings->Driver. For video driver, choose "gl".
  7. Close RetroArch and restart it.
  8. Check that the video context driver now says "wgl" under Information->System Information
  9. Video_Content_Driver.PNG
  10. All done!

If there are any questions please let me know via DM on Discord or email chaos@nhl94.com!

• Like 1