Sign in to follow this  
aqualizard

RetroArch Tips and Troubleshooting

"Tips and Troubleshooting" Cheat Sheet

These are some issues and some fixes for RetroArch.  The fixes and more details are in the messages below.

1. No Audio Issue  fixed 
  2. Win10 Jumpy Video  fixed 
  3. SNES  "Multitap" Netplay Issue  fixed 
  4. Mac Fullscreen/Hotkey Issues  workaround 
  5. "Slow Motion" Video  fixed 

Please share your short tips and tweaks in the thread below!   We want to cover as many situations as possible, and build this Cheat Sheet.

Edited by aqualizard
  • Thanks 1

Issue 1: No Audio while ROM is playing

If you are playing a ROM and can't hear anything, try this:

MAIN MENU >  SETTINGS > DRIVER

Change the "Audio Driver" to "dsound", restart RetroArch, and try it again. This fixes the issue for most.  

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 2: Jumpy Video in Win10

(from Chaos and Viz on Discord)

MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > DRIVER
Change the "Video Driver" from "gl" to "d3d11".

Also go to:
MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO
and turn on "Hard GPU Sync".

This should get rid of the choppiness. Windows 10 screwed up their GL video driver with a recent update
Most noticable thing is when you go into MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO, look at your "Estimated Screen Framerate". It should closely match the refresh rate of your monitor (most likely ~60Hz, unless you have a fancy monitor).
To check your monitor refresh rate (don't change it) - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-monitor-refresh-rate-windows-10

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 3: SNES "Multitap" Message During Netplay

In Netplay, after connecting, you get an in-game screen message "Multitap 5 needs to be connected to Player # 2" - For some reason, RetroArch thinks there's a multi-tap connected to Player 1.

To fix go to:
QUICK MENU > CONTROLS
and change the Player 1 to "SNES Joypad".

One or both players may need to do this. Return to the game and it should work fine.

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 4: On Mac in Fullscreen Mode, Hot Keys Not Responsive

On Windows, you can use the "F" hotkey to toggle in and out of fullscreen.  Does not appear to work for everyone on a Mac.

However, to scale your window you can use:
MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > VIDEO
and use the "Windowed Scale" settings to change the size of the screen.

Edited by aqualizard

Issue 5: Slo-Mo Video 

(from Buc on Discord)

and turn on "Threaded Video".

With Threaded Video set to Off,  Buc said "it looked like it was going into slow motion half the game even when I was just playing the computer."

Buc uses Win10.

Edited by aqualizard

On 12/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, aqualizard said:

Issue 5: Slo-Mo Video 

(from Buc on Discord)

and turn on "Threaded Video".

With Threaded Video set to Off,  Buc said "it looked like it was going into slow motion half the game even when I was just playing the computer."

Buc uses Win10.

I would recommend not using "Threaded Video". This should be a last resort. Win 10 has messed up OpenGL drivers for some video cards, so if you have a problem, change your Video Driver to "d3d11" in Settings-Driver. This may fix it. Also, follow the instructions here:

Perfect Audio/Video Sync

10 hours ago, chaos said:

I would recommend not using "Threaded Video". This should be a last resort. Win 10 has messed up OpenGL drivers for some video cards, so if you have a problem, change your Video Driver to "d3d11" in Settings-Driver. This may fix it. Also, follow the instructions here:

Perfect Audio/Video Sync

Ok.  I will point this out to Buc.  Once he sees it I will delete this erroneous tip. (Since we only want real hints here, not red herrings.  Unless of course he tries other stuff and says this is what works for him, still.)