NHL'94 Forums

Importance of the Goalie Rating

5hole

Just wanted to pose a question to the esteemed folks at nhl94. Do goalie ratings really matter that much. They all seem to succumb to the same

kinds of shots yet undoubtedly it is harder to score on Roy than Arturs Irbe. Would like to hear what some of you have to say about this.

I haven't noticed much either, but a guy like Belfour makes a lot more of the hard saves that someone like Hasek might not make. For example, if Brett Hull takes a slapper from the right wing, it probably

won't ever score on a guy like Belfour, but if the same thing happened to Hasek, and it would probably go right through him and in.

it definitely matters. roy and belfour are way harder to score on. they aren't nearly as susceptible to weak floater shots and hard slapshots from far away. they'll also come across faster on a onetimer. when it comes to dekes and the walkacross, there isn't as much of a difference, though (maybe on dekes.. i'm just not very good!).

Ratings do indeed make a difference. For instance, those with a higher puck control rating will let fewer shots go into the net through their five-holes. Those with higher awareness ratings -- and higher agility and speed rating as well -- will be better at anticipating a shot and moving quickly enough to stop those one-timers.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this from a while ago.

What ratings for the goalie are the most important? Human controlled and Computer controlled?

Are there any ratings that are worthless?

weight can be a pretty important rating, especially when playing a net crasher. The lighter they are the more succeptible they are to rammers.

I tend to prefer lighter agile goalies with good speed. 5-4-4 is ideal imo. This is from someone who prefers taking GC 90% of the time.

What about cpu controlled? Anybody do testing on this? I am guessing low puck control makes the goalie weak on defending the down b shot pass between the legs shot.