Classic '94 Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. 5 Minute Overtime in GENS?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Lighter Rink Color in GENS?

• Yes.
    • No.

It's official - I will be taking charge of the Fall 2008 GENS and SNES Capitalism Leagues. Registration will be open shortly, and I will be attempting to administrate the thing the best way I can. However, I do things a little differently than previous commissioners have done things, so I wanted to go over the various rules and timelines that Classic Fall '08 is going to employ:

SIGN-UPS, TEAM SELECTION, and LEAGUE SELECTION

When you sign up, I will ask you to list your top 15 team choices, as well as which league you feel you would be most competitive in.

As long as numbers are high, only veterans will be allowed into the "A" League. I will observe your previous winning percentage and commitment to past leagues so that there is no mismatch. However, I will also not put very good players into lower leagues.

There will be a lottery for the top teams - everyone that has picked a team #1 will either get that team or be placed in a lottery for that team. However, you will not receive a team that is ranked higher on someone elses list (unless THEY get a team that is higher on their own list). Basically, the top five or six teams will be picked by someone who ranked them first on their own list. More on this later (maybe, it's in my head but I don't know how to say it right).

MIDSEASON ADDITIONS

If someone pops in during the first half of the season and wants to join a league (and does not want to be waitlisted), I will let them take whatever team they want that is available. I am aiming to get the leagues around 16 players apiece - although there are some that want a smaller league so I'd aim for 11-14 players in those leagues. Although I do believe that these leagues will be small enough :P

SCHEDULE

I will not be making up a strict schedule - you play everyone in your league twice (watch out for additions, see above), which means that leagues will be 20-40 games.

TIMEFRAME - 10-week Regular Season

Monday, September 22nd - Classic League will begin, with teams assigned to those who registered. There will (probably) be 11-21 players in each league.

Monday, October 27th - "Halfway Point." Registration ends. If you are behind track at any point after this date, I reserve the right to replace you.

Monday, December 1st - Season Ends, PLAYOFFS BEGIN. No exceptions. DNPs and FFs will be assessed liberally.

Playoff Timeframe

The first round of the playoffs needs to be done before the holidays start. More on this later.

PLAYOFFS

8 teams will go to the playoffs in each league. Consolation playoffs will likely be all from one league, or across A and B leagues - depending on league size. The classic league rules will apply (if 8th and 9th have equal points, then a 3-game play-in will occur).

I don't know what I'm forgetting, but there are two changes I want to make - to the GENS rom. Please vote in the poll above. I want to change OT to 5 minutes because it is the length of each period, ties aren't evil, and the home team shouldn't be going down more than it goes up. Easier for playoffs too.

The change in the ice color would be like I have it in Capitalism GENS.

Both of these things are already in the SNES rom.

Alright, I'll have things set up shortly.

I'm doing some HEAVY (and I mean HEAVY) recruiting. Those of you that love the site should do the same - I'm going for 100 players overall, and I've already added the AIM screen name of almost everyone who has been in a previous league, as well as anyone who came up as being in a league on google search.

We're branchin' out!

Poll voting is never accurate and easily manipulated. Might I suggest having the Gens players that played in classic last year cast their vote in this thread...then you'll have a legitimate count.

Poll voting is never accurate and easily manipulated. Might I suggest having the Gens players that played in classic last year cast their vote in this thread...then you'll have a legitimate count.
That's true, though I want to win!

Should I just close the poll?

I like the ice from the GDL3/4 roms better than the classic ice.

Also, 10 minute ot's is the way to go. Nothing sucks more than a tie.

Is it possible to do 5 min and shootout if tied afterwards?

There were neither shootouts, nor 10 minute overtime in the 1993-1994 season.

Nor was the ice lighter or OT's removed as proposed by this thread.

Lets not get too nostalgic Metz.

Nor was the ice lighter or OT's removed as proposed by this thread.

Lets not get too nostalgic Metz.

I will rebut first your second point, then secondly your first point.

1) This thread did not propose removing an overtime. This thread proposed changing the ROM to more accurately interpret the NHL from the time.

2) The ice was white in the NHL in 1993 and 1994. It was not this light back in, say, the O6 era.

OMG POINTS REBOOTED.

Actually, usually a loss sucks more than a tie.

well, a loss comes with a win,

10mins 10mins 10mins