NHL'94 Forums

Hot and Cold Explained... Do I have this right?

aqualizard

Ok, I have read "Hot / Cold Effect" from Raph's site, here:

http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=201

Do I understand it right? For the unhacked Classic ROM:

1. The HOT/COLD screen is useless (does not indicate who is hot or cold correctly)

2. The displayed player attributes (when you are in-game and go to "Edit Lines") are also useless (as in, they are incorrect)

BUT

3. There really is a HOT or COLD effect, and it is applied to each attribute (all are hot or all are cold), but there is no way to see this effect. You need to "feel" it.

DO I have it right?

Yes, this is true. You need to see/feel it.

A hot 3 and cold 4 are pretty much interchangeable and those skill are the most plenty.

Speed is something you can feel it from and sometimes accuracy can be way off as well. For 4 stickhandlers it's easy to see if they're hot when they wobble against poorly executed checks and pokes/trips, that starts to happen at 80. Skill 4 on shotpower should be something you can tell as well as skill 4 has the range from 63 to 80 and in the 60's you can see the difference to high 70's.

Skill 5 has the scale on 81-98 but any skill on 5 is good already, but effects can be seen/felt in skating, I think a cold Ronning would not be a 1st round pick when being hot or just "normal" he is.

Someone told me they verified that actually the displayed "Hot" or "Cold" indicator is correct (I was sure it wasn't, though, so now I'm just not sure)

I did -- it's correct in that Ron Barr reports the Hot/Cold that is displayed, but what is displayed is incorrect. So we just have to be nicer to Ron Barr when we say he doesn't know who's hot or cold...he's just reading the (incorrect) reports! :)

Interesting. So, bottom line is looking at the Hot and Cold screen, or the in-game player stats (through "Edit Lines") is a complete waste of time.

Yet people do it all the time.

(I have known for some time Hot and Cold was (supposedly) off, but I thought the Edit Lines attributes were correct. I have wasted hours of my life looking at these ratings... dayum. Now I know better; 20 or so years later.)

Regarding the hidden bonus that IS applied (see my point #3 in original post)...

Say that Mogilny has the hottest bonus he can, a +8. Questions:

4. Does that mean that his speed and agility will be 116!!!?? (That is, 6*18 = 108, and 108 + 8 is 116!)

5. Do these calculated numbers get used "as is", or do they somehow get "rounded down" or further altered? (I am just wondering if 116 is really the same as 100, in that it tops out or something? And maybe 90-99 is the same, and 80-89, etc.?)

I did -- it's correct in that Ron Barr reports the Hot/Cold that is displayed, but what is displayed is incorrect. So we just have to be nicer to Ron Barr when we say he doesn't know who's hot or cold...he's just reading the (incorrect) reports! :)

Ahh, ok. I misunderstood you before. I thought you mean Ron Barr was actually right about who was hot/cold, but the numbers were all wrong. So actually he is just reporting on the incorrect values?

Regarding the hidden bonus that IS applied (see my point #3 in original post)...

Say that Mogilny has the hottest bonus he can, a +8. Questions:

4. Does that mean that his speed and agility will be 116!!!?? (That is, 6*18 = 108, and 108 + 8 is 116!)

5. Do these calculated numbers get used "as is", or do they somehow get "rounded down" or further altered? (I am just wondering if 116 is really the same as 100, in that it tops out or something? And maybe 90-99 is the same, and 80-89, etc.?)

Yes, a hot Mogilny, Roenick, Gretzky, etc, their "99" attributes are actually 99-116 or something like that. (unless maybe they can't get a hot on a 6.. but I don't think that's the case...)