NHL'94 Forums

What makes 94 better than 95?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but this is my first post. Me and 3 of my friends play NHL 95 religiously. We play seasons, single games for money, etc. We pretty much stick to using Vancouver, NYR, or Chicago. I always say we're probably the best NHL 95 players in the world, and then I found this website.

I've read about your passion for 1994, and I was wondering what makes 1994 so much better than 1995? We have 1994 and we tried playing it, but we all hate it. The main complaint is it just feels so "loose" and its hard to precisely control your players as compared to 1995 which feels a lot more polished and allows more precise player movements. Also, One-Timers go in at a far higher rate in 1994 than they do in 1995. Sure, in 1995 its easy to destroy an Auto-Goalie, but we just play Manual and its fine.

So I am wondering as to what you guys would say I am missing? One thing I did notice is that in 1995, passing is far too inconsistent and sometimes passes just fly nowhere or right to the other team. What else am I missing? Thanks!

Well, from my perspective:

The 95 snes version is a lot like the 94 gens version.

Basically they ruined the game play, the feel of the game. Just isn't the same.

We only have the Genesis versions of 94 and 95, so I'm not able to follow the analogy you're making.

i just tried it on the Genesis.. it's ok, not that bad. A bit better than 95 SNES i think (which was waaay too easy)

the wraparound looks like it could be easy with a bit of practice. hopefully goalie control can fix that :blink:.

the defense are horribly out of position half the time (by the boards at the blueline when they're streaking past your blueline in the centre of the ice).

the sound in 94 is crisper. 95 sounds muted (reminds me of 94 SNES)

there's just something about the slower turning rates of 94 that's nicer. 95 on SNES (not too different from 95 Genesis) always seemed too fast and easy to me.

they really should have found a way to add more to 94, instead of tearing it down and redoing it all. 94 was the culmination of maybe 4 years of work...

i just tried it on the Genesis.. it's ok, not that bad. A bit better than 95 SNES i think (which was waaay too easy)

the wraparound looks like it could be easy with a bit of practice. hopefully goalie control can fix that :blink:.

the defense are horribly out of position half the time (by the boards at the blueline when they're streaking past your blueline in the centre of the ice).

the sound in 94 is crisper. 95 sounds muted (reminds me of 94 SNES)

there's just something about the slower turning rates of 94 that's nicer. 95 on SNES (not too different from 95 Genesis) always seemed too fast and easy to me.

they really should have found a way to add more to 94, instead of tearing it down and redoing it all. 94 was the culmination of maybe 4 years of work...

I would probably say that NHL 96-98 had the same procedure. Perhaps EA decided to polish those last 3 games like with 91-94, which made them great games. NHL 95 seems to be the black sheep of the game family, though as I have once said, it's not as horrible as people say it is.

Smoz, have you tried NHL 98? I believe I had recommended to you once.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but this is my first post. Me and 3 of my friends play NHL 95 religiously. We play seasons, single games for money, etc. We pretty much stick to using Vancouver, NYR, or Chicago. I always say we're probably the best NHL 95 players in the world, and then I found this website.

I've read about your passion for 1994, and I was wondering what makes 1994 so much better than 1995? We have 1994 and we tried playing it, but we all hate it. The main complaint is it just feels so "loose" and its hard to precisely control your players as compared to 1995 which feels a lot more polished and allows more precise player movements. Also, One-Timers go in at a far higher rate in 1994 than they do in 1995. Sure, in 1995 its easy to destroy an Auto-Goalie, but we just play Manual and its fine.

So I am wondering as to what you guys would say I am missing? One thing I did notice is that in 1995, passing is far too inconsistent and sometimes passes just fly nowhere or right to the other team. What else am I missing? Thanks!

I agree with you on most of the above statement. 95 is probably my favorite video game of all time but think 94 is also a great game. I think they perfected passing in 94.

I think the two main reasons why 94 is considered better

1. It came first, people were used to this style of play and they kept building and improving that engine from 92-94 and when there was an overhaul to the engine changing graphics, controls and game play in 95 many people did not like the change

2. (and I think the biggest reason why this website is so successful) NHL 95-98 on the genesis can't play online without a bunch of problems. The games desync and a high rate which makes it frustrating. I tried and failed starting a couple online 95 leagues.