NHL'94 Forums

Are you the best player you "know"?

Ken

As in, "know in real life". I can say honestly that I'm better than anybody I ever played live against. This includes those guys who made similar claims (ie a mutual friend claims that we are equal players, but then we played and I won, etc).

Then I started playing online, and found a bunch of dudes who were at least as good as me and some maybe better.

Question is, have you guys had similar experiences? Were you the best guy in your circle of friends/hometown/school/whatever?

side question: do you think this league is indicative of the best North American players?

As in, "know in real life". I can say honestly that I'm better than anybody I ever played live against. This includes those guys who made similar claims (ie a mutual friend claims that we are equal players, but then we played and I won, etc).

Then I started playing online, and found a bunch of dudes who were at least as good as me and some maybe better.

Question is, have you guys had similar experiences? Were you the best guy in your circle of friends/hometown/school/whatever?

side question: do you think this league is indicative of the best North American players?

I'm the best I know because the only other people I ever played with were my brother and a college buddy of mine, and my brother never wanted to play against each other because he was afraid to lose to his little brother, and I beat my buddy too many times, sapping his spirit.

I believe that this league is indicative of the best North American players. I'm sure other top players exist out there, ignorant of the site, but we could probably teach most of them a thing or two.

And I'm still unhappy with you, you bum.

in my circle there are at least 3 "top" notch players and cant say that any of us are the best but 2 prob stand out and u will usually see one of them in the finals of one of our "wwe" 94 belt championships or both of them often

agree that this is prob some top players but im sure we could fill the league with really good players if they knew it existed

I have run into a number of guys who claim to be really good at 94, but I usually beat them pretty bad. My one buddy though, the guy I always played on genesis the last few years, is every bit as good as I am, if not better.

• 3 months later...
I have run into a number of guys who claim to be really good at 94, but I usually beat them pretty bad. My one buddy though, the guy I always played on genesis the last few years, is every bit as good as I am, if not better.

First time poster....

I am the best player that I know of on sega. That being said, I think I'm gonna get drilled on here. Before yesterday I thought I might be top 10 in the world though. Watching some youtube highlights I realized that my one-timer is pretty effing weak. I have been practicing that against some weak comp using The Whale. Also working on my manual goalie.

One time in a random non gamer forum the topic of video games came up and I claimed to be the best NHL94 player. Some dude challanged me for any amount of money. We settled on 100 bucks and because he was in Boston and me in CT eventually met up. He was your typical "i've never been beaten..." guy. We were both slightly drunk and both pretty much agreed to play for free. Shoulda stuck to my guns. Took him down in the best of 3 series 6-2 and 7-1. Really wish I hadn't pussed out on the loot. But, he also claimed to be the best beer chugger and I had already witnessed him chug a can of beer in some obscene amount of time. Shoulda known, nobody can be that good at two different things...

During the 2nd game I was talking to my friends and basically making fun of the dude. He was nothing but an above average player.

Anyway, look forward to playing with you guys.

No one I know "in real life" can consistently beat me, but that's not many people.

When I started playing online in the oNHL94 league (the one with the stats), I was Anaheim and was beating everyone or losing close ones, but then tk11 came from the other conference and crushed me 6-0 (5-0 after the first period) and I realized I had a thing or two to learn!

I think people who haven't played online will be 1-2 steps lower than they think they are. When you play online, you learn so many new ideas:

I NEVER used manual goalie until I was online and saw that it could decide a game. I'm still pretty weak at it, but then there a few players (ok, one in particular) who would serve themselves better by leaving the goalie to his goalie-ing and not turning him into an olympic horizontal ice diver ;)

The pass-goal was an occasional funny accident to me, not an integral part of the offensive arsenal of slow teams.

People online are waaay better dekers than I am.

I may be the one-timer king, though!