NHL'94 Forums

30th Anniversary - All-Stars by Naples39

naples39

So as I said in the other post, I'm out the game on yearly updates, but I had some rom ideas I've been working on. This is the other one; an 'all-star' lineup for every team of players who have suited up for them between 1993 and today. For instance, I'm a Flyers fan, now I can roll out a starting lineup of Carter Hart, Eric Lindros, Claude Giroux, Eric Desjardins and Chris Pronger. Buffalo fans could play with LaFontaine, Mogilny, Hasek, and Dahlin, while the Rangers roll out Lundqvist, Leetch, Fox, Panarin, Messier and Jagr.
Every team is competitive and can roll all-star lineups, and you can reach out across eras and play with many different fun lineups on the same team.

Personally, when looking back across season, for me it's much more fun to choose a team and play with the stars you think of associated with that team rather than choose a random season's roster. I think this will be my personal 'go-to' rom, and maybe some of you will agree.

Other notes:

-When applicable, every team has their 90s logos, uniforms, and arena names
-When applicable, every team has at least one player from their original NHL94 roster
-Winnipeg and Phoenix/Arizona are not combined. In this rom, Arizona features players who played in the desert, and Winnipeg features players who played in Winnipeg regardless of franchise continuity. Sorry Atlanta, but you have fallen through the cracks of time in this ROM.
-Players were selected for each team based on upon who were the best players to play for them, as well as players who may not have been stars but were long-time fixtures for the franchise.
-Players are rated based on their peak performance years (more or less) for the franchise represented (Roenick in CHI > Roenick in PHX > Roenick in PHI)

As with the 30th anniversary championship edition rom I just posted, this has not been exhaustively tested, so please feel free to leave suggestions or corrections, particularly regarding team/player ratings for balance!

Otherwise, this has all the features of my other roms; weight bug, uniform sprite enhancement, graphic hacks on benches and ice lines, updated 3-star formula....etc.

vEol86D.png

oEb0cwI.png

U7ux47D.png

NHL 94 30th Anny - All-Stars.bin

• Love 6
  • Thanks 1

I love this concept! I did basically the same thing with Super Mega Baseball 2 (best players from 1994 to 2019) but my save got corrupted.  I'm surprised that the Thrashers didn't get any representation with the Jets...surely Ilya Kovalchuk was good enough to qualify?

14 hours ago, The Dopefish said:

I love this concept! I did basically the same thing with Super Mega Baseball 2 (best players from 1994 to 2019) but my save got corrupted.  I'm surprised that the Thrashers didn't get any representation with the Jets...surely Ilya Kovalchuk was good enough to qualify?

Thanks!

And yeah, as I note above, I was very torn about how to handle the Jets/Coyotes/Thrashers issue.  I didn't want to strictly follow the franchises proper, because Selanne on the Coyotes doesn't seem right, and Selanne on Winnipeg with guys like Byuglien seem right even though they are technically different franchises. Then, what do you do with Atlanta guys who never played in Winnipeg and are now homeless? Hossa and Kovalchuk are good enough to make the cut if I'm putting Atlanta guys on Winnipeg. It's messy, although maybe I will put Kovy and Hossa in there just to be inclusive so guys can have fun with this rom and play with the lineup they want.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:12 PM, naples39 said:

So as I said in the other post, I'm out the game on yearly updates, but I had some rom ideas I've been working on. This is the other one; an 'all-star' lineup for every team of players who have suited up for them between 1993 and today. For instance, I'm a Flyers fan, now I can roll out a starting lineup of Carter Hart, Eric Lindros, Claude Giroux, Eric Desjardins and Chris Pronger. Buffalo fans could play with LaFontaine, Mogilny, Hasek, and Dahlin, while the Rangers roll out Lundqvist, Leetch, Fox, Panarin, Messier and Jagr.
Every team is competitive and can roll all-star lineups, and you can reach out across eras and play with many different fun lineups on the same team.

Personally, when looking back across season, for me it's much more fun to choose a team and play with the stars you think of associated with that team rather than choose a random season's roster. I think this will be my personal 'go-to' rom, and maybe some of you will agree.

Other notes:

-When applicable, every team has their 90s logos, uniforms, and arena names
-When applicable, every team has at least one player from their original NHL94 roster
-Winnipeg and Phoenix/Arizona are not combined. In this rom, Arizona features players who played in the desert, and Winnipeg features players who played in Winnipeg regardless of franchise continuity. Sorry Atlanta, but you have fallen through the cracks of time in this ROM.
-Players were selected for each team based on upon who were the best players to play for them, as well as players who may not have been stars but were long-time fixtures for the franchise.
-Players are rated based on their peak performance years (more or less) for the franchise represented (Roenick in CHI > Roenick in PHX > Roenick in PHI)

As with the 30th anniversary championship edition rom I just posted, this has not been exhaustively tested, so please feel free to leave suggestions or corrections, particularly regarding team/player ratings for balance!

Otherwise, this has all the features of my other roms; weight bug, uniform sprite enhancement, graphic hacks on benches and ice lines, updated 3-star formula....etc.

vEol86D.png

oEb0cwI.png

U7ux47D.png

NHL 94 30th Anny - All-Stars.bin 2 MB · 111 downloads

Freezes up at options screen while trying to select the home team

On 10/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, BillC52865 said:

I only got it to work in retroarch. Which I don't really use because its basically only a bare bones game emulator on Android TV boxes. Plays games but online features are non existent.

To avoid the freeze just quickly select the visitors team to any team except Vegas and Winnipeg. Its defaulted to Vegas. Its a bug in some Nhl94 roms. Try quickly changing the visitors team to any team except Vegas or Winnipeg and then it should not freeze. If you are quick you can still select Vegas or Winnipeg as your own team. Try it in any Emulator and  it shouldn't freeze when you do what I'm saying. 

On 10/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, BillC52865 said:

Just sharing again that To Avoid the Freeze in the Main Menu on a Emulator quickly change the Visitors team to any team except Vegas or Winnipeg. This Rom is defaulted to Vegas. Change it to any other team except Vegas or Winnipeg and it shouldn't freeze in the main menu. Select your settings afterwards and then if you want to play as or against Vegas or Winnipeg select them real quick and press start. This is what I do to avoid the freeze. Its a bug in Nhl94 roms and I'm sure somebody has a fix for it like the prior poster said. 

7 minutes ago, RT1977 said:

Just sharing again that To Avoid the Freeze in the Main Menu on a Emulator quickly change the Visitors team to any team except Vegas or Winnipeg. This Rom is defaulted to Vegas. Change it to any other team except Vegas or Winnipeg and it shouldn't freeze in the main menu. Select your settings afterwards and then if you want to play as or against Vegas or Winnipeg select them real quick and press start. This is what I do to avoid the freeze. Its a bug in Nhl94 roms and I'm sure somebody has a fix for it like the prior poster said. 

I will do an updated version with a fix for this freeze bug, or get it off Vegas as default visiting team.

8 minutes ago, naples39 said:

I will do an updated version with a fix for this freeze bug, or get it off Vegas as default visiting team.

Can you also possibly fix Team Calgary in the edit lines? It gives a error when changing the player positions. A few other teams might need some default player adjustments too, but the others don't seem bugged like Calgary is. 

Though Calgary seems to be the only team that actually gives a error in edit lines I just noticed also that for example the Boston Bruins by default has defensemen McAvoy at Right wing on the first line, and Cam Neely who is a right winger is placed by default on the 3rd line but at a Left Defense position. Maybe throughout all the teams things like this may need to be looked at and get some adjustments.